U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM

120 posts, read 154,983 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

We currently live in Dayton OH. My husband and I have less than 10 miles of commute to work. I am hoping you all can give me some info/advice. I understand that cost of living in comparison to Dayton OH is 35% more.

· Where are you coming from? Dayton OH

· Why are you moving? Change of Job

· Where will you be working? Wayne NJ

· Will you buy or rent? Rent for 6-12 months

· What is your budget? Under 2k monthly.

· What kind of place are you looking for? Lease Apt, Condo, Townhouse

· Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Spouse & I

· Do you need/want good public schools? Would be nice. We don’t have children so it’s not a deal breaker for leasing. Would be imp when buying a house

· Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in? where we have proximity to restaurants movies, parks, prefer to be close to library, malls, main interstate and a recreation club that offers indoor pool, safe & diverse community

· List three things that are important to you in order of importance – Safe and diverse neighborhood, proximity to work and affordable!

We have an annual remuneration of $125k. We own a house right now which we hope to sell. We would be renting when we move to NJ and then look into purchasing a house. Is this salary commensurate for the cost of living in NJ?

Some of the cities that look promising are Glen Ridge, westwood, Oradell, Wyckoff, glen rock, Ramsey, Ridgewood and Mahwah? Which towns would give us good rental options for our needs.

I am horrified by the cost of car insurance. Pls Pls Pls advise of some local insurance agents which can provide affordable car insurance.

Anything else that y'all think of would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

Cheers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 AM

75 posts, read 141,861 times
Some of the towns you named Ridgewood in particular are extremely wealthy, have and extremely high property taxes. Most of the towns you mentioned are located in Bergen County, NJ which is ranked the 20th wealthiest county in the nation. They are also 45 minutes north of Wayne in standard NJ traffic. They may seem like a short distance away from Wayne if you use google maps. But, google maps doesn't account for the fact that NJ traffic is a nightmare, especially during commuting hours, and in the summer when everyone is going to the shore.

I cannot provide you with real estate advice, since I don't live in NJ. But, I live on the border of those towns and spend a lot of time in them, especially Ridgewood and have worked in many parts of Bergen and Passaic Counties. Ridgewood is lovely, but is for the über wealthy.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM

166 posts, read 179,971 times
Wayne..Good luck..Always on the news either for traffic or whenever it rains...WAYNE...WOW...Bad decision.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM

71,458 posts, read 67,524,757 times
Wayne itself is a good choice--it's a huge town in area, so there are a lot of different sections to choose from. Also look at Oakland, nice little town close to Wayne for an easy commute.

Mahwah has a lot of housing options--like Wayne, a larger town in area, lot of townhouse complexes.

Wyckoff has a beautiful YMCA with an indoor pool and an outdoor spring-fed, sand-bottom "lake". The Y also has exercise equipment and classes, etc.

There are some nice parks, local and county, in those areas, good for hiking, etc., and there are larger state parks (including Harriman State Park just over the border in New York State) a short drive away.

Most towns have their own public libraries, and you are never very far from a mall in NJ, trust me.

We are also horrified by the cost of car insurance here. Can't really help you on that one! But shop around for better rates. I am doing that right now myself.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 AM

71,458 posts, read 67,524,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailL2007 View Post
Wayne..Good luck..Always on the news either for traffic or whenever it rains...WAYNE...WOW...Bad decision.
There are two high schools in Wayne, Wayne VALLEY and Wayne HILLS. Right there that tells you something, doesn't it? The flooding you're referring to happens in the low-lying areas near the Ramapo River, but there are places in Wayne that never ever flood. As I said, it's huge in area. You can't write off the whole town as bad because a small portion of it floods.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 AM

17,400 posts, read 21,267,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave View Post
I am horrified by the cost of car insurance. Pls Pls Pls advise of some local insurance agents which can provide affordable car insurance.
Generally speaking, the agent has nothing to do with the high cost of auto insurance in NJ.
Because our state has the highest population density, it also has the highest density of traffic on its highways, and that equals more accidents.
More accidents=higher-cost insurance.
Also, medical costs tend to be high in NJ, and that impacts the cost of car insurance.

If you want the best possible deal on a policy with good coverage, you should look into NJ Manufacturers Insurance Company (NJM Insurance Co.), as it is the company with highest level of policy-holder satisfaction and an excellent claims-paying history. Also, after the first year of coverage, they normally rebate 5% of the cost of your policy.

However, in order to qualify for coverage from NJM, you or your husband has to work for a company that is a member of the NJ Business & Industry Association. The Human Resources staff at the new job can tell you if the company is a member, and can provide the membership number that you would have to supply to NJM.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM

75 posts, read 141,861 times
The Wycoff YMCA is indeed great. It should tell you something, if someone who lives on the border in NY travels to Wycoff and Ridgewood to work out and take dance classes.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 AM

120 posts, read 154,983 times
@PerpicasciousE
going through the forums, i did gather that Ridgewood would be expensive. Did sound like a really nice town. Might have to take that off the list.
@Gail2007- I am looking for assistance on this forum. I am sure every town has its set of issues. Unfortunately one does not have a lot of luxury in choosing where one can live. We go where the jobs are. I am aware of flooding issues in Wayne. We hope not to rent/buy in that area.
@Mightyqueen201 - I did not come across Oakwood in my search. Will add that to my list. Do you think that Wyckoff would offer us all of what we are looking for?
@Retriever - Thank you fo much for the info of NJMI. We will check with the new co if they are covered..sure hope they are.

Is 125k salary at par for the cost of living in NJ? I am having sleepless nights when I am compare the cost of living

Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 AM

4,181 posts, read 9,892,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioslave View Post
@PerpicasciousE
going through the forums, i did gather that Ridgewood would be expensive. Did sound like a really nice town. Might have to take that off the list.
@Gail2007- I am looking for assistance on this forum. I am sure every town has its set of issues. Unfortunately one does not have a lot of luxury in choosing where one can live. We go where the jobs are. I am aware of flooding issues in Wayne. We hope not to rent/buy in that area.
@Mightyqueen201 - I did not come across Oakwood in my search. Will add that to my list. Do you think that Wyckoff would offer us all of what we are looking for?
@Retriever - Thank you fo much for the info of NJMI. We will check with the new co if they are covered..sure hope they are.

Is 125k salary at par for the cost of living in NJ? I am having sleepless nights when I am compare the cost of living
125k between a couple is a fine salary. But you listed very wealthy towns in your initial post. You said you were looking in "Glen Ridge, westwood, Oradell, Wyckoff, glen rock, Ramsey, Ridgewood and Mahwah"

I dont think you could afford to live in those towns, with the exception of Mahwah.

I think you would be better looking at a more middle class town closer to Wayne, like Lincoln Park, Montville, Wayne, Oakland, Totowa, North Haledon, etc

Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 PM

17,400 posts, read 21,267,091 times
Regarding NJM Insurance Co, I should have added that you do not deal with independent agents if you want coverage from NJM. You phone their office in West Trenton, and request the application from one of their Central Office staff members.

The phone number is 1-800-232-6600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey