Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times

Advertisements

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I agree with the other posters; spend below your means [or "wants"] and save for the future and the unknown. This economy is just too fragile right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Holy Crap Batman...this is twice in one year that Tahiti and I have agreed.

The OP had his mind made up even before he posted here.

To me, this is typical of the younger generation looking for total satisfaction and looking to live on the edge at any cost.

To say that you can't find anything good within $350-$400 means that you're pretty much a "I want it now" mentality.

Go ahead and buy it for $500,000 and better pray that you don't need to sell anytime soon, because no one is going to give you your price if they know it's a distress sale. I always told my kids that life can change in a second, never to be the same again and especially these days with jobs.

Just hope you have a back up plan just in case.

Enjoy your $500,000 starter home.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

To me, this is typical of the younger generation looking for total satisfaction and looking to live on the edge at any cost.

To say that you can't find anything good within $350-$400 means that you're pretty much a "I want it now" mentality.

Go ahead and buy it for $500,000 and better pray that you don't need to sell anytime soon, because no one is going to give you your price if they know it's a distress sale. I always told my kids that life can change in a second, never to be the same again and especially these days with jobs.

But they are going to live in it for 15 years!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
for just a couple without kids, 300-400k will buy something fine. you dont need to get the house you will live in forever. but if you dont want to tie yourself into a house that you intend to stay in for less than 5 years, rent. you can find a nice rental in a nice place for much less than it will cost you to buy your 500k house.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
But they are going to live in it for 15 years!
I'd be willing to bet no more than 5-8 years at best.

The younger generation just doesn't stay in one house like their parents did.

Besides why spend the money now. It's all over on 12/21/12.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM

323 posts, read 575,461 times
a happy wife equals a happy life

iffn you know what i mean

Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

Well, check hell. It was 65 degrees today after all.

I'm also LMAO because what else on earth did we agree on?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
As I said earlier, he'd be nuts to do this. Not having to worry about money is an amazing feeling. The other day, I was kind of thinking out loud with some friends/coworkers and honestly couldnt remember if I was getting paid that Friday or not. I honestly, did not know. A person who overheard me remarked, "that must be nice". People think they make X amount, they have to spend X amount. When you do that, you get caught in the rat race, and the things you own end up owning you.

But what do I know, OP may have rich family to provide a parachute should **** hit the fan. If thats the case, as was mentioned earlier, he has already made his mind.
We are in the same boat regarding getting paid. I have a complicated story but the gist is I'm getting some money from an outside source in addition to my regular pay (which is less than normal due to the outside source). I have not gotten my outside source $$$ in a few months (it's not a trivial amount) and it's no big deal. When I get it, it'll go right into savings.

Like you, it's not bragging but just a data point on how your life can be if you live below your means. Of course crap happens and that's not always the case, but you can NEVER go wrong living below X.

I'm very passionate about this issue if you can't tell. I talk to my kids about spending all the time and I'm seeing some of it rub off.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
How Much House Can You Afford?

If your wife will graduate in less than a year, why not just wait until she gets a job before buying a house? The market isn't going to change that much in less than a year. If you must do so beforehand, I would make sure you can afford it on your income alone since that is all that's actually in front of you right now.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM

33 posts, read 543,176 times
Quote:
As I said earlier, he'd be nuts to do this. Not having to worry about money is an amazing feeling. The other day, I was kind of thinking out loud with some friends/coworkers and honestly couldnt remember if I was getting paid that Friday or not. I honestly, did not know. A person who overheard me remarked, "that must be nice". People think they make X amount, they have to spend X amount. When you do that, you get caught in the rat race, and the things you own end up owning you.

But what do I know, OP may have rich family to provide a parachute should **** hit the fan. If thats the case, as was mentioned earlier, he has already made his mind.
I come from nothing. My family is dirt poor. I just think it would be nice to have a nice big place with all these features that they could enjoy.

And no, my mind is not made up already, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here.

I kinda agree with most of you. While I may be able to wing it, it makes no sense to put such undue pressure on myself at this point. I already have a good start, I just need wait until my wife is working then this would become much more affordable. For us, this was the perfect house but, I guess, wrong time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey