Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I don't really see much pressure for gentrification in Trenton, though; as you say, nobody's priced out of Philadelphia (and it's a bit far to boot), and there's nothing in Trenton aside from the state government.
Gentrification many times starts with some kind of arts community-folks who want dirt cheap live/work space because they're interested in pursuing their craft and usually aren't making very much money at it or whatever day job they have. There is a small colony of artists working in the city now led by a guy who once worked at the Johnson Atelier complex in nearby Hamilton. He bought an abandoned factory building from the city for $1 and began moving folks in who are doing everything from art to small scale urban farming. Then there is Terracycle, a sustainablity startup headed by a Princeton University student which chose to locate in the city-they do recycling of just about anything you can think of. There are also a handful of manufacturers who chose to stay in the city (and the country for that matter) like Home Rubber, Hutchinson Industries, and Power Magnetics that all employ local people with good paying jobs, but there are still countless empty hulks of factories that will likely never be occupied again.

There's a small crew of hipster types who gather at the Mill Hill Saloon, Trenton Social (on Broad Street across from the area next to the now closed Conduit rock club), and other hole in the wall bars in the area. Then there are the young professionals, older professionals with no kids, and gay couples who live in places like Mill Hill, Berkeley Heights, Hiltonia, and the Island Neighborhood. However, despite all of this they haven't really hit the critical mass that turned the tide in places like Brooklyn, Northern Liberties, Boston's North End and other examples of urban renewal. When/if it will happen is anyone's guess. Every neighborhood has it's own quirks and unique circumstances and there's no one formula or strategy that is a one-size-fits-all solution. Needless to say I'd love to see it happen. Like a lot of folks who grew up in nearby Hamilton, I had deep roots in the city. I was born there, spent a lot of time with family there, was baptized, made first communion and confirmation there, and of course ate a lot of great meals there. Unfortunately there's a long way to go. Trenton was a very different place when my mom (born and raised there) was my age. Perhaps it will be a very different place once again when my daughter (just turned one) is my age.

Last edited by Badfish740; 12-13-2012 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
There's a small crew of hipster types who gather at the Mill Hill Saloon, Trenton Social (on Broad Street across from the area next to the now closed Conduit rock club), and other hole in the wall bars in the area. Then there are the young professionals, older professionals with no kids, and gay couples who live in places like Mill Hill, Berkeley Heights, Hiltonia, and the Island Neighborhood. However, despite all of this they haven't really hit the critical mass that turned the tide in places like Brooklyn, Northern Liberties, Boston's North End and other examples of urban renewal. When/if it will happen is anyone's guess. Every neighborhood has it's own quirks and unique circumstances and there's no one formula or strategy that is a one-size-fits-all solution. Needless to say I'd love to see it happen. Like a lot of folks who grew up in nearby Hamilton, I had deep roots in the city. I was born there, spent a lot of time with family there, was baptized, made first communion and confirmation there, and of course ate a lot of great meals there. Unfortunately there's a long way to go. Trenton was a very different place when my mom (born and raised there) was my age. Perhaps it will be a very different place once again when my daughter (just turned one) is my age.
I think one reason the tide hasn't turned in Trenton the way it has turned in Boston and Brooklyn is essentially just that. Trenton isn't Boston or Brooklyn. It has a geographical disadvantage. Trenton is small and located in between two major metropolitan areas. I might surmise that some of these persons would opt for New York or Philadelphia, not to mention people from other cities go to New York, Boston, and Philadelphia. When alot of people choose New Jersey, they choose Newark or Jersey City because of the very close proximity to New York. Trenton is in the middle of the state, close enough to get to NYC, but far enough not to be part of it, and small, so it might have to compete with Newark or Jersey City.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 PM

376 posts, read 665,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Sure people were po'd. But a better solution to burning down the neighborhood you live in is vote in people that might actually help you. Nobody wants to live in a war zone. This happened all over the country, not just in Trenton.
you clearly are miseducated and don't know what you're talking about.

the problem with some jersey folks as well as america in general is that they speak of things they have no idea of and talk about solutions without even trying to make sense of them to begin with.

do you even have any idea what was going on during that time? do you even realize or for that matter anything with the voting issues concerning blacks and the political issues as well? know what you're talking about first THEN speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey