Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM

18 posts, read 68,485 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we're considering a move to Hoboken and wanted to run some of our questions past you well informed folk. We're a mid thirties couple, no kids. We don't need to commute to NYC for work, so proximity to PATH isn't a huge consideration. However, we tend to go into the city on weekends and also have friends over from NYC and Newport, so that convenience is important.

We're considering Hoboken for access to restaurants, a walking neighborhood, and connectivity to NYC. The apartments we've found to our liking (newer construction, washer dryer in unit) are all in the uptown area, typically in the 3-4 block parameter between 7th street and 12th street between Monroe and Adams. The one we are considering is closer to 11th and Adams. Since we are not familiar with the area, we have the following questions we are hoping for some help on.
  • I see that this area has a high school, a stadium and a playground very close by. I work from home and I know moving to a "city-like" environment will come with its share of sights and sounds, however would like to know if you think this part of town is relatively loud or quiet, especially during the day.
  • We will most likely use the PATH or the Ferry to get in and out of NYC. I've seen cabs parked at the PATH station. Are there cabs also readily available at the Ferry station, or do you have to call them in advance?
  • Is the area - especially east of 11th street to Washington street, and north of 11th towards 14th street, considered safe? I'm sorry if this is a daft question, we're unfamiliar with the area.
  • We know Hoboken is in the flood zone, but Sandy was a once in a lifetime (hopefully) storm. More realistically, wanted to know what we should expect to deal with in the normal course of the year. i.e. is there water logging if it rains heavy etc. We'll avoid a 1st or 2nd floor unit, but still good to know.

Thank you for your time, look forward to your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,522,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thandamilk View Post
Hi All, we're considering a move to Hoboken and wanted to run some of our questions past you well informed folk. We're a mid thirties couple, no kids. We don't need to commute to NYC for work, so proximity to PATH isn't a huge consideration. However, we tend to go into the city on weekends and also have friends over from NYC and Newport, so that convenience is important.

We're considering Hoboken for access to restaurants, a walking neighborhood, and connectivity to NYC. The apartments we've found to our liking (newer construction, washer dryer in unit) are all in the uptown area, typically in the 3-4 block parameter between 7th street and 12th street between Monroe and Adams. The one we are considering is closer to 11th and Adams. Since we are not familiar with the area, we have the following questions we are hoping for some help on.
  • I see that this area has a high school, a stadium and a playground very close by. I work from home and I know moving to a "city-like" environment will come with its share of sights and sounds, however would like to know if you think this part of town is relatively loud or quiet, especially during the day.
  • We will most likely use the PATH or the Ferry to get in and out of NYC. I've seen cabs parked at the PATH station. Are there cabs also readily available at the Ferry station, or do you have to call them in advance?
  • Is the area - especially east of 11th street to Washington street, and north of 11th towards 14th street, considered safe? I'm sorry if this is a daft question, we're unfamiliar with the area.
  • We know Hoboken is in the flood zone, but Sandy was a once in a lifetime (hopefully) storm. More realistically, wanted to know what we should expect to deal with in the normal course of the year. i.e. is there water logging if it rains heavy etc. We'll avoid a 1st or 2nd floor unit, but still good to know.

East of 11th on Wash is definitely fine. The blocks behind wash going towards Weehawken are fine too but there are definitely more cars whatnot. If you stay on wash between 7 and 12th the noise levels are much lower than say downtown with all the post college hangover bars between 1 and 4th. The police station is also between 1 and 2nd on hudson so that in itself creates a lot of noise with all the sirens.

The bad part of looking for a place in hoboken right now is that the PATH will be down until sometime early next year so the only way in and out of the city is the bus. I'm not sure if you are a bus person (I'm not) but let me say it is a royal PAIN getting in and out of the city right now during off peak hours.

I'm sure the high school and stadium are noisy as any high school would be. Can't do much about that.

Water logging is not common but minor street flooding is and the worst part is the water tends to smell like sewage.

Ferry and PATH station are located outside the Hoboken train station itself and the cab line is right outside. No reservations needed.

Just out of curiosity have you thought about places cheaper than Hoboken such as Downtown JC or even Montclair? I can tell you right now that there are a lot of restaurants in Hoboken but most of them are terribly overrated and get old fast.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
East of 11th on Wash is definitely fine. The blocks behind wash going towards Weehawken are fine too but there are definitely more cars whatnot. If you stay on wash between 7 and 12th the noise levels are much lower than say downtown with all the post college hangover bars between 1 and 4th. The police station is also between 1 and 2nd on hudson so that in itself creates a lot of noise with all the sirens.

The bad part of looking for a place in hoboken right now is that the PATH will be down until sometime early next year so the only way in and out of the city is the bus. I'm not sure if you are a bus person (I'm not) but let me say it is a royal PAIN getting in and out of the city right now during off peak hours.

I'm sure the high school and stadium are noisy as any high school would be. Can't do much about that.

Water logging is not common but minor street flooding is and the worst part is the water tends to smell like sewage.

Ferry and PATH station are located outside the Hoboken train station itself and the cab line is right outside. No reservations needed.

Just out of curiosity have you thought about places cheaper than Hoboken such as Downtown JC or even Montclair? I can tell you right now that there are a lot of restaurants in Hoboken but most of them are terribly overrated and get old fast.
I was torn between Hoboken and JC. I ultimately chose downtown JC. I love the diversity of the neighborhood, the access to Liberty State Park and the waterfront park next to Goldman, linkages to NYC (Ferry and Exchange and Grove St. Path), and easy access to I-78 and Turnpike. The Paulus Hook neighborhood is awesome and there are some very good restaurants. I highly recommend downtown JC. Check out this new rental project located in Van Vorst. Excellent location and neighorbood. Home | Madox ApartmentsMadox Apartments

Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM

99 posts, read 477,894 times
Quote:

You really should look into this move more carefully. If you don't work in NYC, there is practically NO reason to move to Hoboken. Have you figured in taxes? Maintenance Fees? Parking (If you have a car)? All of these will make this a very pricey lifestyle. If you desire newer construction, add that to the tally.

Retail in Hoboken is generally more expensive, particularly along Washington Street. Don't believe me? Price check the McDonald's at 3rd and Washington against a McDonald's almost anywhere else in Hudson County.

Roads in Hoboken are generally pock-marked with potholes and ruts. Street parking is next to non-existent. Regarding flooding, sure you can go for a unit on the third floor and above which will probably save your belongings, but you might be trapped in there until the waters recede out from floors two and below. If the building has a below-grade parking garage, well, look at it this way: You're getting a free exterior/interior car wash out of the deal

Oh, and don't forget that much of the newer construction in uptown Hoboken is built upon environmentally remediated factory sites. A site presently under construction of a new condo building has wreaked of gasoline since groundbreaking. Yes, it's remediated, now explain what that means...

But despite all these drawbacks, you and others may still choose Hoboken If so, good luck. You will probably need it...

Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM

18 posts, read 68,485 times
All, thanks for the responses.

Quote:
We've looked at downtown JC. Not much cheaper than Hoboken, especially the Newport and Paulus Hook areas. The rents seem to have gone through the roof in the 2 years since we last looked. We're more keen on staying closer to NYC, so haven't considered Montclair. We found a 2 bed 2 bath in an uptown Hoboken development, relatively newer construction, garage parking included for less than what any of the Newport rental developments. It just seems strange the rental market just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMILIFE
I was torn between Hoboken and JC. I ultimately chose downtown JC. I love the diversity of the neighborhood, the access to Liberty State Park and the waterfront park next to Goldman, linkages to NYC (Ferry and Exchange and Grove St. Path), and easy access to I-78 and Turnpike. The Paulus Hook neighborhood is awesome and there are some very good restaurants. I highly recommend downtown JC. Check out this new rental project located in Van Vorst. Excellent location and neighorbood. Home | Madox ApartmentsMadox Apartments
Glad you're liking JC. We have a lot of friends who live there and that is part of the reason for us to consider Hoboken or Downtown JC. Funny you should mention Madox. Ive been keenly following their development as it looks to be a fantastic development. Visited them last week and planning on going to their open house tomorrow. The challenge is, like most new developments they seem over-priced. What is a real killer is the $200 valet parking you're forced to pay if you want their indoor garage parking. Still, a contender for us if they are willing to negotiate on the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMPLIGHTER
You really should look into this move more carefully. If you don't work in NYC, there is practically NO reason to move to Hoboken. Have you figured in taxes? Maintenance Fees? Parking (If you have a car)? All of these will make this a very pricey lifestyle. If you desire newer construction, add that to the tally.
Thanks for the warning. The reason for us to move to Hoboken is that it seems the kind of neighborhood we would enjoy. We can't afford to live in NYC and are not yet ready for a completely suburban life. Downtown JC and Hoboken seem to offer what we're looking for. Am sure there are compromises one needs to make.

Maybe I should have clarified - we're looking to rent, not buy. Perhaps that addresses the taxes and maintenance concerns you raised. Your response makes Hoboken seem unlivable. You're obviously passionate about your view of Hoboken, curious to know whether it is driven by personal experience of having lived there?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,230,808 times
Quote:
Thanks for the warning. The reason for us to move to Hoboken is that it seems the kind of neighborhood we would enjoy. We can't afford to live in NYC and are not yet ready for a completely suburban life. Downtown JC and Hoboken seem to offer what we're looking for. Am sure there are compromises one needs to make.

Maybe I should have clarified - we're looking to rent, not buy. Perhaps that addresses the taxes and maintenance concerns you raised. Your response makes Hoboken seem unlivable. You're obviously passionate about your view of Hoboken, curious to know whether it is driven by personal experience of having lived there?
He's just an idiot who doesn't understand why people live in cities and feels the need to comment on it constantly.

Quote:
I see that this area has a high school, a stadium and a playground very close by. I work from home and I know moving to a "city-like" environment will come with its share of sights and sounds, however would like to know if you think this part of town is relatively loud or quiet, especially during the day.
The only part of Hoboken that is "loud" is Washington St, the entire length but more so further south, where more of the bars are (closer to the PATH and NJT trains). You should be fine.

Quote:
We will most likely use the PATH or the Ferry to get in and out of NYC. I've seen cabs parked at the PATH station. Are there cabs also readily available at the Ferry station, or do you have to call them in advance?
Not sure, sorry.

Quote:
Is the area - especially east of 11th street to Washington street, and north of 11th towards 14th street, considered safe? I'm sorry if this is a daft question, we're unfamiliar with the area.
All of Hoboken is very safe. Virtually no crime.

Quote:
We know Hoboken is in the flood zone, but Sandy was a once in a lifetime (hopefully) storm. More realistically, wanted to know what we should expect to deal with in the normal course of the year. i.e. is there water logging if it rains heavy etc. We'll avoid a 1st or 2nd floor unit, but still good to know.
During Sandy, basically all of Hoboken was underwater. The only areas that did not experience flooding were the bluffs by the river (where Stevens is). However, as you said, Sandy is likely a one-time event, despite hand-wringing to the contrary. Generally, the more flood-prone areas in Hoboken are, counterintuitively, the areas furthest from the Hudson River as the town's geography tilts from a low point right at the base of the Palisades up to the bluffs along the Hudson. Flooding along Monroe St was pretty bad; by Adams St, there was little water at the peak of the storm and none the day after.

That said, I don't think you need to avoid second-floor units. Even at the peak of Sandy, floodwaters were not anywhere close to reaching the second floor of even the lowest-lying buildings. Only first-floor and basement units experienced flooding.

One last caution: The Hoboken PATH station is still closed and likely to be closed until early 2013, if you're planning to travel to Hoboken via public transit soon.

I live in downtown Jersey City as well, and I think you should also consider our area, though downtown JC and Hoboken are similar in a lot of ways. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,522,873 times
Quote:

We've looked at downtown JC. Not much cheaper than Hoboken, especially the Newport and Paulus Hook areas. The rents seem to have gone through the roof in the 2 years since we last looked. We're more keen on staying closer to NYC, so haven't considered Montclair. We found a 2 bed 2 bath in an uptown Hoboken development, relatively newer construction, garage parking included for less than what any of the Newport rental developments. It just seems strange the rental market just now.

Glad you're liking JC. We have a lot of friends who live there and that is part of the reason for us to consider Hoboken or Downtown JC. Funny you should mention Madox. Ive been keenly following their development as it looks to be a fantastic development. Visited them last week and planning on going to their open house tomorrow. The challenge is, like most new developments they seem over-priced. What is a real killer is the $200 valet parking you're forced to pay if you want their indoor garage parking. Still, a contender for us if they are willing to negotiate on the rent.

I moved back from LA two years ago and settled in Hoboken (after being raised in NJ suburbs for 18 years). At first, I thought Hoboken was cool because you could walk to bars and be slammed and at the end of the day everyone was drunk and happy. After a short time, it got old really fast. I didn't like the spoiled daddy's girl culture, the a-hole bro's at the bars, how Washington street is plagued with potholes and trucks all the time, poor access to highways, zero parking, windy winters (worse than chicago), and the overpriced mediocre restaurants as well. It made me back to being a suburbanite real quick. And now I'm moving back to LA in January for grad school because I can't stand the overall culture here.

Hoboken has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years. It's lost it's soul. Trust me, my family tree essentially started there.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 AM

99 posts, read 477,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
He's just an idiot who doesn't understand why people live in cities and feels the need to comment on it constantly
And you are a moron because you didn't refute any FACT I posted. Furthermore, you obviously confused me with someone else on here because I do NOT comment on it constantly. Where's your proof of that assertion, Stupid? Post your proof or ST*U

Quote:

Your explanation helps us to understand why you want to live there. There are many advantages to living in an urban environment, and I think you are making a great choice to do so. That being said, you may be interested to look at newer condo developments in North Bergen or Union City. Both of them are urban neighborhoods with their own vibrant business areas with diverse stores of almost all kinds, and you will get slightly more square footage for your buck. Also take a strong look at Jersey City. The commute by car/bus/light rail to Hoboken is great from all of these points, and if you have a car, parking options are typically better, except perhaps in JC.

Rents in Hoboken come at a premium and are higher than most other locations in Hudson County and you don't build equity. The landlords factor in the taxes when calculating the rent. If you want to pay less rent, you'll have to look west of Adams St. The NW corner of the city is undergoing a gradual redevelopment, so it is in the very early stages of becoming an up and coming area. However, be advised that the area comes along with some of the environmental baggage, especially on properties that are former factories and gas stations.

You don't want to mistakenly judge all of Hoboken by isolated sections, such as Washington Street or Frank Sinatra Dr.

I haven't lived there, but one of my co-workers does, and has for about fifteen years. Most of my knowledge of Hoboken comes from what I see and learn from her nearly everytime I visit down there. Her rent is north of $1700 for what amounts to something as big as a larger than average clothing store fitting room, and she rents a parking spot which is a few hundred bucks extra. I also read over the local newspaper she gets (but doesn't read ) Lots of fiscal problems, big ticket repairs, multimillion dollar single pump station installed before Hurricane Sandy showed up which didn't work, the list goes on...

Don't get me wrong. Every place you go will have problems, but when it comes to Hoboken, you pay BIG bucks to get BIG problems.

Quote:
I moved back from LA two years ago and settled in Hoboken (after being raised in NJ suburbs for 18 years). At first, I thought Hoboken was cool because you could walk to bars and be slammed and at the end of the day everyone was drunk and happy. After a short time, it got old really fast. I didn't like the spoiled daddy's girl culture, the a-hole bro's at the bars, how Washington street is plagued with potholes and trucks all the time, poor access to highways, zero parking, windy winters (worse than chicago), and the overpriced mediocre restaurants as well. It made me back to being a suburbanite real quick. And now I'm moving back to LA in January for grad school because I can't stand the overall culture here.

Hoboken has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years. It's lost it's soul. Trust me, my family tree essentially started there.
Freshflakes757, this analysis is spot-on Most of the bar activity and aftermath happens on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights between 9PM and 4AM. Drunken fights break out practically every week. Contrary to what someone else said, it doesn't only happen on Washington Street. Much of this is concentrated in the SE corner of Hoboken, right near Hoboken Terminal and the PATH station. Regardless, if this was the only problem in Hoboken, I would advise thandamilk to sign an apartment lease there today. It's not.

Everything else you mentioned is absolutely correct, and as someone with roots there, your comments about Hoboken matter more than anyone else who cannot make the same claim, including myself.

Good luck with your search, thandamilk. Hope whatever decision you guys make works out well.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,223 times
Quote:

I understand your frustration on the parking. Only thing I can say is $200 per month is about "market" for "renting" a spot in JC. I bought a place and negotiated two deeded spots because I knew parking would be valuable on resale. I still think JC waterfront is better than Hoboken. The linkages to the city (especially lower Manhattan) are better and the access to the Turnpike is much easier. Even the roads in JC are better than Hoboken. They're easier to drive on, wider and have signals. Hoboken is a disaster to drive through with all the narrow streets, stop signs and cars double-parked. Overall, yes Hoboken is great. I just think JC is much better if you're 30 or older. We had dinner last night at Satis Bistro. Such a great time. No muscle heads looking to smash skulls. Just normal adults having a nice time. That's one of my favorite things about JC. The demographics are so much better than Hoboken. Go to Hoboken on a Sunday afternoon when all the football games are going on and walk past the bars on Washington and look at how rowdy it is inside. Then watch those drunk kids walking around after the games looking for trouble because their team lost. It's crazy.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Hoboken is changed a lot in the past 3-4 years also, where there's less post-college kids and more young families. but that element is still there. Waterfront JC is more families, quieter, etc. Both have their positives and negatives in my opinion, and it's not that one is better than the other - just depends on what people like more. I personally preferred Hoboken to JC, but I can see why some would prefer the reverse.

Both are expensive. If i were buying, I'd probably go JC, but renting, Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey