Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,739 times

Advertisements

If those low-paid workers would just work harder!

“I hate when my boss tells me she won’t give me a raise because she can smell me,” he said.

Johnson, 44, needs the two paychecks to pay rent for his apartment at a single-room occupancy hotel on the city’s north side. While he’s worked at McDonald’s stores for two decades, he still doesn’t get 40 hours a week and makes $8.25 an hour, minimum wage in Illinois.

This is life in one of America’s premier growth industries. Fast-food restaurants have added positions more than twice as fast as the U.S. average during the recovery that began in June 2009.

Johnson’s circumstances look particularly grim when they’re compared, as Bloomberg does, to the compensation enjoyed by executives whose pay gives a whole new meaning to “McJob”

Johnson would need about a million hours of work — or more than a century on the clock — to earn the $8.75 million that McDonald’s, based in the Chicago suburb of Oak Brook, paid then- CEO Jim Skinner last year.

…Twenty years ago, when Johnson first started at McDonald’s, the CEO’s compensation was about 230 times that of a full-time worker paid the federal minimum wage. The $8.75 million that Thompson’s predecessor as CEO, Skinner, made last year was 580 times, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...s-pay-gap.html

Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM

2,733 posts, read 4,130,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
she was a manager. cashiers start above $9/hr. you might be right on greeters though. stock clerks actually get paid higher because of the lifting requirements of the job. i'm not being crazy - i was equally surprised when she started working there at how things aren't as bad as people often think. it's not enough to get me to go into their god awful stores...but i don't hate them as much as before she worked there.
It's funny, but I know people at Macy's who started off at about $7.50 an hour. And the store manager was positive she'd get the best employees ever with that pay.

Yup, Macy's pays less than Walmart (at least with people that I have known), and Macy's is higher-end than Walmart (but what isn't?)

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,739 times
Not sure if this is a gag job listing, but it's pretty nutty:

Any of the following will be grounds for immediate dismissal during the probationary period: coming in late or leaving early without prior permission; being unavailable at night or on the weekends; failing to meet any goals; giving unsolicited advice about how to run things; taking personal phone calls during work hours; gossiping; misusing company property, including surfing the internet while at work; submission of poorly written materials; creating an atmosphere of complaint or argument; failing to respond to emails in a timely way; not showing an interest in other aspects of publishing beyond editorial; making repeated mistakes; violating company policies. DO NOT APPLY if you have a work history containing any of the above.

http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/aboutus/?fa=Employment

Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,469,826 times
The problem here is that the statistics cited for how many people this actually impacts are incredibly misleading. If we take out "tip earners and comission earners" and just look at straight hourly employees that earn minimum wage, less then 1% of NJ's workforce earns minimum wage. Of that more then half are high school and college students. The remainder are almost entirely seasonal/temp and part time employees. The argument that their needs to be a "living wage and you can't support a family on minimum wage" are spurious because no one in this state is actually doing it.

Overall, roughly 307,000 people would see a wage increase if the minimum wage was moved to $8.50. That represents around 8% of NJ's total workforce. It sounds large, but what they don't tell you is that the 307,000 is almost entirely composed of high school and college kids, tip earners, comission earners, part time, seasonal and temporary workers. They count someone who works a part-time job in that number regardless of whether or not they have other employment.

In my office there are quite a few people who earn very nice salaries who also work part-time jobs just because. One of them is an usher at a concert venue on the weekends because he gets to see the shows for free. He makes $8 an hour at that job, but earns $85k+ at his regular job. He is counted in the 307,000 figure becuase it is based on employees and business filings not individual people. It also doesn't account for married households. My neighbor is a teacher and earns a nice salary, over $80k a year. His wife works part time as a waitress to bring home extra spending money. She is counted in the 307,000 figure.

No one (at least nowhere close to a substantial number of people) is actually earning minimum wage and supporting a family.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM

386 posts, read 867,846 times
You simply can not live on $7.25/hour for a 40 hour week independently in New Jersey.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 AM

717 posts, read 644,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no gap between the haves and the have-nots. There are no haves and have-nots. This is not an intelligent concept. There is you. And there is what you have. If what you have is not enough for you, it is YOUR PROBLEM and will require YOUR SOLUTION, depending upon your talent, energy, and drive.

Keep it simple. Keep it free. Poverty is a personal problem. Society should do NOTHING for the poor. Being poor is a personal choice. It should be easily remedied by making intelligent personal decisions to make oneself more valuable to other people. By being more valuable, you will have more stuff. By being less valuable, you should have less stuff. It's a simple, rational, and moral equation. Without victims, and without compulsion.
What a crock of dung. You seriously consider poverty a personal problem? God help anyone born without a: money and b: the ability to earn it in your world!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,969,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
What a crock of dung. You seriously consider poverty a personal problem? God help anyone born without a: money and b: the ability to earn it in your world!
Yes. I do consider poverty a personal problem. And so does my good friend: Reality. If you do not have money, and you want money, the solution in a free society is to work. Or to ask someone else to give it to you. Or loan it to you.

Problems arise when certain people decide they are "entitled" to the money of others. And start making demands. You are not one of those "problem" people, are you?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,547,579 times
Where the hell do idiots get off with the notion that low wage workers don't work hard? "Pay them for how hard they work"! Really? If that's the case than why are congress, professional ball players, and REAL ESTATE AGENTS, paid more than teachers, social workers, and most health care workers?
Cleaning up feces & vomit off of sick people for 12 hrs a day, cleaning nasty bathrooms, and teaching unruly brats who have neglectful parents, are easier & less important jobs than running down the court a few times a year, and taking prospective home buyers to view a house on the quietest & most appealing time of day? GTHOH!

The hypocrisy of Ayn Rand's blind followers will eventually become evident, just as hers did when she collected off the very social programs the miserable troll was against.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM

386 posts, read 867,846 times
Quote:
Yes. I do consider poverty a personal problem. And so does my good friend: Reality. If you do not have money, and you want money, the solution in a free society is to work. Or to ask someone else to give it to you. Or loan it to you.

Problems arise when certain people decide they are "entitled" to the money of others. And start making demands. You are not one of those "problem" people, are you?
Hard work != success
Success != hard work

Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,940,891 times
Quote:

Do you recognize that a hard-working person can still end up in poverty through any number of misfortunes out of their control?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey