Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,059 times

Advertisements

I know this issue has been kicked around before, but was looking for some recent opinons.

How do the Westfield elementary schools (tamaques, jefferson, mckinley, wilson, franklin) compare to each other? I know the north side schools are ranked higher, but any thoughts why? Parents hiring private tutors for all their kids, or is it the teachers?

And are there any differences among the south side schools? How are the low-income kids at McKinley? Is it a negligible factor that adds diversity in a good way or are some of them unruly disturbances because of their parental influences?

And why are the test scores at Jefferson falling year over year ?

I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Everyone I talked to doesn't think there is much difference between the elementary schools. Can you show me evidence of the declining scores of Jefferson and the other schools scores?

My little girl will be going to Jefferson in a couple of years. I am not worried about a dip in the overall scores. I will make sure she learns and excels the material and supplement it with additional after school programs/activities.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
They are all good schools. I would tend to think that it is related to the parents. I am sure some people will take this the wrong way, but income is usually related to education levels. higher income, means bigger house. Higher education USUALLY means you will show more interest in your kids education, so
Big house > kid does better in school.
So some of the schools are in the are of town with bigger houses and are ranked a little higher. If you are willing to take a strong interest in your kids education, your kid will be just fine
With that said, they are still all great schools.
Please feel free to post the 1 or 2 examples you know that will totally disprove me (even though I said "usually" a lot)

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 38,496 times
Default jefferson school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Everyone I talked to doesn't think there is much difference between the elementary schools. Can you show me evidence of the declining scores of Jefferson and the other schools scores?

My little girl will be going to Jefferson in a couple of years. I am not worried about a dip in the overall scores. I will make sure she learns and excels the material and supplement it with additional after school programs/activities.
This is where I got the bit about Jefferson's scores...but it's just a question, not necessarily a judgment. Maybe they're not teaching to the test and the kids' learning levels are doing better in a way that isn't measured. Who knows.....but take a look.

Jefferson School, Westfield NJ School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

Hmm no comments about the cacciola kids...i thought i'd get opinions on both sides, but perhaps it's negligible as I speculated and the kids fall in line w/ the majority of the students (which could go good or bad) and what the teacher expects of everyone.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,499 times
Having looked at Westfield last year I do recall one of the big issues with families in town was the continuing rezoning/shuffling. Realtors would never mention it but speaking to a couple of families I found there were some problems that needed to get resolved. It kind of makes sense, once everyone hears of a great town(s), they usually flock there with their kids in tow (or in belly).
However, some of these towns just arent prepared to tackle on the surplus of new families. Meanwhile, developers continue to prop up every .25 acre they can find and local govnt just continues to concede in their zoning laws due to plenty of political 'pressure'.
If I were looking at Westfield today, I would speak with the school district about school class sizes and if rezoning is being considered in the street I'm looking to buy. I would speak to the local parents about their experiences. There are big income differences within Westfield. Any 30k plus town will have the same. It's part of life but I absolutely realize the more affluent families will spend more in outside resources and in having inside political pressure (HSA), to make sure things get done a certain way. Not saying one way is better than the other but it does create a divide. The divide is not seen as much in the younger years of elementary school but from grades 4 and up you start seeing some things that are unfortunately natured by the adults. It happens in all the affluent towns, it's not just a Westfield thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjohn711 View Post
This is where I got the bit about Jefferson's scores...but it's just a question, not necessarily a judgment. Maybe they're not teaching to the test and the kids' learning levels are doing better in a way that isn't measured. Who knows.....but take a look.

Jefferson School, Westfield NJ School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

Hmm no comments about the cacciola kids...i thought i'd get opinions on both sides, but perhaps it's negligible as I speculated and the kids fall in line w/ the majority of the students (which could go good or bad) and what the teacher expects of everyone.

wow, that's a huge drop in under 10 years.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,901 times
Hah I just got outbid

Jefferson 274
McKinley

Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,901 times
Default school rankings

ok, take two with my post -

Hah I just got outbid on a house in the mckinley school district so i guess my search is both late and moot but if you folks are interested, here goes:

Franklin #39
Tamaques #75
Wilson #96
Jefferson #274
mckinley # 310

To the initial poster: does it matter that much? Are the teachers that different or maybe just the students? And even the ranking of mckinley is still a lot better than where I am now so we should probably just all relax. With that said when I start finding other houses i like, i will be inclined to lean toward one of the districts with the higher rankings, though I don't know if i'll be able to afford a house i like in the franklin or wilson districts.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM

79 posts, read 153,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack40145 View Post
Hah I just got outbid

Jefferson 274
McKinley

Your first time? Then you are just a newbie. Welcome to the club.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,689 times
My 2 cents- If test score is the absolute reflection of the area, why isn't eveyone flocking to rank #1 and 2, Newark and Elizabth?! My daugther is a student at McKinley and we couldn't be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: