Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
employers don't have to employ people from a union unless they've agreed to do that. breaking contracts is what is illegal.
That is not the case. Once the workers have voted to unionize, the employer is compelled to bargain with the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Why is THIS always the counterpoint from any union guy? Do you think he was born with the privilege of being CEO? This CEO position was carved out for him the minute he was born? You think he didn't work for it? You think he didnt work long hours, study long hours, bust his ass?

Why do you feel you deserve more money and he deserves less? I'm curious about this line of thinking.
I don't doubt he worked hard. But so has the middle/upper manager.

I don't think any person who is essentially a caretaker of an existing company and who didn't build it like the Walton family did deserves that obscene amount of money. Especially when many of his employees rely on the govt. to survive.

Some CEOs are downright awful during their tenures and get paid obscene amounts of money with golden parachutes to boot.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Why is THIS always the counterpoint from any union guy? Do you think he was born with the privilege of being CEO? This CEO position was carved out for him the minute he was born? You think he didn't work for it? You think he didnt work long hours, study long hours, bust his ass?

Why do you feel you deserve more money and he deserves less? I'm curious about this line of thinking.
Exactly. What common people do not fully understand is that the ability to run a multi-national organization consisting of thousands or tens of thousands of employees is an unbelievably unique and rare talent. Very few people could ever hope to be good enough or strong enough to do it. They are absolutey worth 1000 times or 2000 times or 10000 times what some low level employee is worth. And yes, they get paid millions and millions of dollars because that is what they are worth to the value of the companies they run. And they get sweetheart golden parachute deals because that is what it takes to sign them and to get their rare talents and commitment. Much like the competition that takes place over a star athlete with a rare skill set. Corporate CEOs are the cream of the American business crop. I know the haters don't want to admit that, but it is true. And boards of directors comprised of very smart people know that and pay a high premium to get these people.

Most people can't even keep their dopey families organized, these individuals do it on an unimaginable scale and do it well in most cases. If any Joe Blow could do it, the salaries would reflect the common talents similar to those on display by the rest of us.

Anecdotes of the occasional corrupt or insufficiently competent individual notwithstanding, the top corporate CEOs are worth every penny of what they get. They are heroes and deserve our admiration and respect.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Exactly. What common people do not fully understand is that the ability to run a multi-national organization consisting of thousands or tens of thousands of employees is an unbelievably unique and rare talent. Very few people could ever hope to be good enough or strong enough to do it. They are absolutey worth 1000 times or 2000 times or 10000 times what some low level employee is worth. And yes, they get paid millions and millions of dollars because that is what they are worth to the value of the companies they run. And they get sweetheart golden parachute deals because that is what it takes to sign them and to get their rare talents and commitment. Much like the competition that takes place over a star athlete with a rare skill set. Corporate CEOs are the cream of the American business crop. I know the haters don't want to admit that, but it is true. And boards of directors comprised of very smart people know that and pay a high premium to get these people.

Most people can't even keep their dopey families organized, these individuals do it on an unimaginable scale and do it well in most cases. If any Joe Blow could do it, the salaries would reflect the common talents similar to those on display by the rest of us.

Anecdotes of the occasional corrupt or insufficiently competent individual notwithstanding, the top corporate CEOs are worth every penny of what they get. They are heroes and deserve our admiration and respect.
You've pretty much turned into an obnoxious jerk in this thread. It's time for you to head to the ignore list.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:

And you expect us to take you seriously...common people, dopey families, really and to the throne you were born I assume

Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You've pretty much turned into an obnoxious jerk in this thread. It's time for you to head to the ignore list.
AMEN to that from this here common lady

Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I would run, and win. But I can't beat Christie after that damned storm. I am not responsible for any of my posts tonight. I decided to OD on white wine. Somebody check my spelling and grammar.
Not if the general public read your posts here with your very visable disdain of the low income workers, your disdain of unions and your disdain of raising the minimum wage and I would make it my mission in life they found out

Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Really??? Hero??? My heros are sleeping in the sand half way across the world defending our freedom so we can make dopey posts. Or out patrolling somewhere in the hood....my heroes either wear camo or blue not a 3 piece suit.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:

city-data suggestion box: wouldn't it be great if a post could be memorialized and pop up next to a posters name, kind of like a sticky thread?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
I see value to both sides. On the one side you spur on maximal innovation. But on the other, what good is innovation if most people cant afford it? To me, there is an innate sense of fairness to the individual in capitalism. Eat what you kill, survival of the fittest, etc. At the same time, not all humans are created equal and in many cases not created equally LUCKY, and compassion for one's fellow man is important. There has to be a minimum level, a floor, on how low we will allow our fellow man to sink before helping them. The trick is figuring out the correct level. Working ALWAYS has to be a better proposition than not working. And the dilemma for me is that I would like to see the workers get more of the pie than they are getting, and upper management to give some of it up, but at the same time it seems innately wrong and unnatural to me to go against Darwin. So I dont know how to go about achieving that.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can count on each other to voluntarily take care of each other. Capitalistic drive, for all its benefits, has THAT one flaw (one BIG flaw) that makes pure capitalism unworkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey