Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Exactly!
During the primary phase, every one of the GOP contenders was the front-runner for at least a short period of time.
Except for Ron Paul. No one knew what the Crazy Uncle was doing up there half the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
4 years is a looong time. The Republicans went through 3-4 favorites in just a few months (including Michele Bachman & Rick Perry...haha) before Mitt got the nod.
Herman Cain

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Herman Cain
9-9-9. It was quite the freak show.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Booker? Heck, Obama had better credentials then Booker when he first ran and he was considered "weak" on experience. Besides, I think if the Dems are going to go for a mayor it would be that one from San Antonio that gave a primetime speech at the DNC.

As for Christie, assuming he wins another term in NJ, which I think he will, he is easily considered the current front-runner for the Republicans in 2016. However, like others said, primary politics are nasty and always shifting, so who knows what the field will look like in 4 years especially among the Republicans. The GOP is in crisis mode right now. If they botch the fiscal cliff (by not compromising with Obama) and everyone's taxes go up, the GOP'ers are going to be tarred, feathered and ridden out of Washington in the midterms. That may even culminate with the party splitting. So, again, who knows.

If I had to guess what the most likely setup right now is for 2016, it will be Hillary Clinton vs. Chris Christie. I think Clinton is stepping down to take time to organize her campaign and get started. It's also not easy to run a presidential campaign when you're the Sec. State and going out on top like she is, allows her to distance herself from any possible foibles in Obama's last 4 years.

Christie has national popularity and is also not a "right wing nutjob" Republican. I think the GOP is going to lose heavy in the midterms unless they have a major change of heart. Either way, they are going to need a moderate, bipartisan candidate and Christie can be that.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Booker? Heck, Obama had better credentials then Booker when he first ran and he was considered "weak" on experience. Besides, I think if the Dems are going to go for a mayor it would be that one from San Antonio that gave a primetime speech at the DNC.

As for Christie, assuming he wins another term in NJ, which I think he will, he is easily considered the current front-runner for the Republicans in 2016. However, like others said, primary politics are nasty and always shifting, so who knows what the field will look like in 4 years especially among the Republicans. The GOP is in crisis mode right now. If they botch the fiscal cliff (by not compromising with Obama) and everyone's taxes go up, the GOP'ers are going to be tarred, feathered and ridden out of Washington in the midterms. That may even culminate with the party splitting. So, again, who knows.

If I had to guess what the most likely setup right now is for 2016, it will be Hillary Clinton vs. Chris Christie. I think Clinton is stepping down to take time to organize her campaign and get started. It's also not easy to run a presidential campaign when you're the Sec. State and going out on top like she is, allows her to distance herself from any possible foibles in Obama's last 4 years.

Christie has national popularity and is also not a "right wing nutjob" Republican. I think the GOP is going to lose heavy in the midterms unless they have a major change of heart. Either way, they are going to need a moderate, bipartisan candidate and Christie can be that.
I think you may be underestimating the power of the RWNJs. While they won't win an election, they have a way of turning moderate Republicans into babbling, contradictory fools. You think they'd learn from this election, but I'm not so sure.

I still maintain Christie won't play on a national stage well. I think he'll go the way of Giuliani - make a run based on his handling of a tragedy, and then fade away. He's not a favorite of the Republicans right now either, but I don't think that will matter in 3 years.

I don't think Booker will run. Assuming he keeps his level of popularity and visibility up, he's more of a 2020 candidate.

The whole thing will be interesting, that much I'm sure of.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I think you may be underestimating the power of the RWNJs. While they won't win an election, they have a way of turning moderate Republicans into babbling, contradictory fools. You think they'd learn from this election, but I'm not so sure.

I still maintain Christie won't play on a national stage well. I think he'll go the way of Giuliani - make a run based on his handling of a tragedy, and then fade away. He's not a favorite of the Republicans right now either, but I don't think that will matter in 3 years.

I don't think Booker will run. Assuming he keeps his level of popularity and visibility up, he's more of a 2020 candidate.

The whole thing will be interesting, that much I'm sure of.
I think the one major difference between Christie and Giuliani is that Christie had achieved a high level of national recognition pre-Sandy. So, I don't know if his rep is solely based on a single event. However, it is certain that he is not exactly popular among the RWNJ's these days, though he does remain popular with moderate Republicans who are looking to "take back" the party.

I'm holding out hope that the Republicans learn from this past election and marginalize the RWNJ's and work on building a moderate position. I don't know if it will happen, but the party looks like it may end up fracturing the way things are going.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think the one major difference between Christie and Giuliani is that Christie had achieved a high level of national recognition pre-Sandy. So, I don't know if his rep is solely based on a single event. However, it is certain that he is not exactly popular among the RWNJ's these days, though he does remain popular with moderate Republicans who are looking to "take back" the party.

I'm holding out hope that the Republicans learn from this past election and marginalize the RWNJ's and work on building a moderate position. I don't know if it will happen, but the party looks like it may end up fracturing the way things are going.
They have to. Whether it happens remains to be seen, I am amazed on a daily basis how a lot of Reps bow to them.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM

386 posts, read 871,769 times
Booker is starting to fall from grace.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Booker is starting to fall from grace.
How so , Downtown is booming , same with the other areas that embraced change....

Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM

161 posts, read 264,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
just putting it out there...

i can start a pole
start a pole.. curious to see how that fairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey