Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Care to quantify that with some facts?

I didn't think so...however since the number of gun deaths is in the thousands and the number of protective gun uses is in the millions....You certainly will have your work cut out for you trying!
That there are more accidental shootings than defending yourself ones? It's not even close in favor of accidents. It's like comparing the number of lost pets to the number of cats pulled out of trees by firemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
If you want to see how absolutely crazy some of the opponents of gun control really are, then you should watch this video.

These folks apparently believe that the Obama Administration staged the Newtown shooting, and that the children who were claimed to be victims did not really die.
Worthy of note is that the folks behind this video have drawn some kind of connection to the LIBOR banking scandal , and they also see a US government conspiracy behind the 9/11 attack.

Yes, these people are one small step away from being institutionalized, but in the meantime, they have the same voting rights that you have and--they are apparently armed.

Sleep well tonight, America!

Internet crackpots believe Newtown massacre was staged, citing "absolute" Photoshop proof - Boing Boing

Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you want to see how absolutely crazy some of the opponents of gun control really are, then you should watch this video.
How do I know it's not a false-flag approach from gun control advocates?

Seriously, there's kooks everywhere, and they don't add credibility to the side they nominally oppose nor detract from the side they nominally support. They're just kooks, to be pointed and laughed at.

On accidents and self defense:
Latest figures I can find (2008) are 680 accidental shooting deaths, 15,500 accidental shooting injuries. Justifiable firearms homicides were 368 by cops, 204 by private citizens, a total of 572. I know of no good figures on self-defense or justified shootings where the felon was not killed.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Use NJ gun laws uniformly across the country. That would be a very good start.
I wouldn't mind that since there will be no change to NJ cause we already practice it. However our own laws are extremely silly and confusing. Watch this video to find out why our AWB (assault weapons ban- ptetty much the same as the 94 federal assault weapons ban) is silly which and still dosen't prohibit what the non shooting public would classify a "military style" weapon, yes the evil bushmaster depending on accessories is legal in NJ even with our ban intact. The problem is assault weapon is a made up term. What is an assault weapon? isnt it any weapon that is used in an assault. So efectively a hammer can be classified as an assault weapon. Since assault weapon is a made up term the lawmakers had to use apperance as a determining factor not the calibre-stoping power. Confused yet cause I certainly am.

At least NJ AWB will make the non shooting public feel safer even though the "military" style weapon that they are afraid of is still legal to purchase in NJ. But just know that in 2011 NJ had only 1 death by a rifle and it's not know if it were classified as an assault weapon.

The Never-ending Saga of Firearms Ownership in New Jersey - Full Hi-Res version - YouTube

By the way, I support background checks on all purchases but an AWB is just feel good tactics smoke and mirrors.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
we need the right to carry in nj. that is something nj gun groups need to work on. now that guns are a big issue, its time for us to get back some of our gun rights.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we need the right to carry in nj. that is something nj gun groups need to work on. now that guns are a big issue, its time for us to get back some of our gun rights.
Just a few issues to mull over - what would be the minimum age to carry in CaptainNJ's Wild Wild West? Could young people carry in school or college? Can you carry at work?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Just a few issues to mull over - what would be the minimum age to carry in CaptainNJ's Wild Wild West? Could young people carry in school or college? Can you carry at work?
so you would agree that as a 32 year old i should be allowed to carry and we are just hammering out minor details? or are you trying to throw out minor details as if they should prevent people like myself from carrying? you know, i was talking to a friend in massachusetts and he said most townships allow you to carry once you get the gun permit (which i believe is no more onorous of a process as nj). so they are carrying in mass., is it like the wild wild west in mass.?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM

607 posts, read 958,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Care to quantify that with some facts?

I didn't think so...however since the number of gun deaths is in the thousands and the number of protective gun uses is in the millions....You certainly will have your work cut out for you trying!
Love this internet tactic of self-flagellation where you ask a question and respond to the lack of a reply IN THE SAME POST, as though your thoughts were so superior that it shamed others to silence.

So - how about YOU go first.....

Care to quantify with some facts?

(and I'm not even taking sides here; I am a Republican who has never shot, much less owned, a gun of any kind)

Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
I don't like being duped into giving false information. After looking at the video of the gun recovered from the trunk, I am 100% sure I have been hoodwinked, in some cases even by my friends, family and associates. I am 100% sure the weapon removed from the trunk was in fact a Siaga-12 12 gauge shotgun and not an AR-15 , bushmaster, or any other .223 rifle. I retract any statement I made about a Bushmaster .223 caliber not being used in the Sandy Hook School Shooting. AT this time I am 95% sure the shooter did in fact use a .223 rifle in his rampage. This does not mean I think the sale or possession of Military Style rifles should be banned.

D. Stephen Pickering January 31st, 2013.

UPDATE **
STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK INVESTIGATION;
INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:
#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round clips
#2. Glock 10 mm handgun
#3. Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:
#4. Izhmash Canta [Saiga] -12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in parking lot)
This case remains under investigation.

http://texasgopvote.com/issues/stop-...estions-005049

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I don't like being duped into giving false information. After looking at the video of the gun recovered from the trunk, I am 100% sure I have been hoodwinked, in some cases even by my friends, family and associates. I am 100% sure the weapon removed from the trunk was in fact a Siaga-12 12 gauge shotgun and not an AR-15 , bushmaster, or any other .223 rifle. I retract any statement I made about a Bushmaster .223 caliber not being used in the Sandy Hook School Shooting. AT this time I am 95% sure the shooter did in fact use a .223 rifle in his rampage. This does not mean I think the sale or possession of Military Style rifles should be banned.

D. Stephen Pickering January 31st, 2013.

UPDATE **
STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK INVESTIGATION;
INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:
#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round clips
#2. Glock 10 mm handgun
#3. Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:
#4. Izhmash Canta [Saiga] -12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in parking lot)
This case remains under investigation.

Connecticut State Police Clarify Sandy Hook Weapons Questions | Texas GOP Vote
What the hell is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey