Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,593 times

Advertisements

I'm a youngin' (28) who recently started at a job as a graphic designer in the city; right now i'm staying with family in NY and commuting via Metro North but it's a tedious commute, so i'm looking for a place in NJ.

I am looking at Montclair, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, etc. My big issues are of course safety, being able to walk everywhere or at least to a train station (I hate to drive), and being in an area that has good spaces/parks for walking a dog. Also, because the sight of cars parked end to end on the street all OVER this area is very disturbing, I gotta find someplace with off-street parking.

I have good credit (over 790). I don't know which rental agencies are good in this area; so far it seems like Gail Winston will be good, but Rental Store USA has a LOT of listings. But the guy that owns that is annoying on the phone and they charge $150 up front. I'd like a 1BR or a good-sized studio, but what would be a reasonably price range for the area? I can only budget up to around $850 a month on my salary.

If anyone can suggest other towns to check out, too, that would be great. I don't want to be on the train more than about 40 minutes, though. I'm on the train 80 minutes one way right now and I think I might snap.

Thanks, kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlikesmochi View Post
I'm a youngin' (28) who recently started at a job as a graphic designer in the city; right now i'm staying with family in NY and commuting via Metro North but it's a tedious commute, so i'm looking for a place in NJ.

I am looking at Montclair, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, etc. My big issues are of course safety, being able to walk everywhere or at least to a train station (I hate to drive), and being in an area that has good spaces/parks for walking a dog. Also, because the sight of cars parked end to end on the street all OVER this area is very disturbing, I gotta find someplace with off-street parking.

I have good credit (over 790). I don't know which rental agencies are good in this area; so far it seems like Gail Winston will be good, but Rental Store USA has a LOT of listings. But the guy that owns that is annoying on the phone and they charge $150 up front. I'd like a 1BR or a good-sized studio, but what would be a reasonably price range for the area? I can only budget up to around $850 a month on my salary.

If anyone can suggest other towns to check out, too, that would be great. I don't want to be on the train more than about 40 minutes, though. I'm on the train 80 minutes one way right now and I think I might snap.

Thanks, kids.
if you hate to drive those towns may not be the best for you, you should consider living in NYC or jersey city, hoboken or the edgewater area, those places offer ample public transport and an easy commute to NYC

Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
if you hate to drive those towns may not be the best for you, you should consider living in NYC or jersey city, hoboken or the edgewater area, those places offer ample public transport and an easy commute to NYC
I don't want to live right on top of New York... that and I can't afford a good place in the city anyway.
I had investigated the Montclair area because I heard it was a good place for being able to get around on foot.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Definitely look in Montclair or Bloomfield if you want a nice cozy place. Montclair is great to walk around because of the outside cafes on Bloomfield Avenue. You can hop on the bus or train to NY. I used to commute to NY from Paterson and some mornings with traffic I would be on the bus for over an hour. Look for apartments in Craigslist or renters.com you won't have to pay a fee. But if you don't want to do much leg work call an agency.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Some agencies charge a huge fee to find apt in the Montclair area. If you could, you should look around yourself. Many buildings have managers on site that can work with you. Montclair is a great town, but rents are high. There are a number of apt buildings as well as multifamilies, so you'll find something. You should also check the Montclair Times as there are ads for rentals listed. Take a look at baristanet.com for some info about the Montclair area. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey