Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,744 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a home in Madison. It seems like Madison is a nice town with:

-good schools
-lots of youth activities
-expensive homes but lower taxes than essex co. suburbs
-and I think low crime.....but......

Am I right?

Then I read that the central avenue elementary school has a 8.5% of its kids receiving free lunch ?? Is there low income housing apartments in the town? Or a sizeable illegal immigrant population like Morristown? Is the north side of the town sketchy?

I'm from a family of immigrants myself but not the kind that believes in free rides and the values that those free rides often produce.

Thank you for your opinions, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Madison is a wonderful community. Yes it has great schools, low taxes, great amenities, good shopping and dining, to name but a few of the attributes.

Most likely the kids that qualify for the reduced cost lunches are children of parents who have been hit by the economy and have been laid off. Some may be from single parent homes who are also taking a hard hit with the current economy. I bet you'll find similar percentages of kids qualifying for reduced cost lunches in most every community these days, even in the "wealthy" ones. (cough, Mendham, Millburn, etc.) Madison has three elementary schools, all of which are top rated. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.

For more info on Madison do a search on this forum, there are a wealth of threads - like this one //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-me-about.html

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times
Madison is a great town. Schools ranked #6 in NJ. There are 3 elem schools. Central is the biggest and most diverse. The numbers are likely accurate, but all the schools are excellent. Great town pool, sports programs, library, YMCA, town center, sense of community.

Check your inbox for a direct message.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,349 times
Madison is great. I would live there in a heartbeat but commuting is an issue. I graduated from Drew in 2000 (moved to Boston and randomly ended back in the area). It is safe, family friendly, etc. Madison did build a public housing building near downton recently but Im not sure if it is just seniors or not.

A friend of mine has lived Madison for several years. He has commented that they have seen an influx of lower income individuals in the area. I have no clue if there is merit to his observation.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Here are some reviews. Five stars!

http://www.greatschools.org/school/p...om..HeaderLink

Old 02-26-2020, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 456 times
Hello, I am considering a move to Madison and have heard great things. Most of the homes in my budget are within the Knollwood/Central Ave elementary school district. I’m sure all the grade schools are fantastic, but it does appear that the test scores/rankings are significantly lower than the other grade schools in Madison. Can anyone share recent opinions on Central school? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey