Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,811 times

Advertisements

My wife, me, my one year old and two small dogs are relocating to New Jersey from South Carolina. I am in the process of purchasing a home and I am not expected to close until the last week of January. My new job starts on January 7th in Jersey City and I am planning on being up there over the weekend of the 5th and 6th. I am looking for a temporary solution that won't cost much(around 1k) that I can do while I wait for the house to close. My company might be able to help but they haven't committed to that yet so I am trying to find alternative solutions. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Will it be just you here until you close on the house, or your family too?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,811 times
My family will be here with me while I close. they were going to stay else where with other family but its not going to work out unfortunatly! I'm willing to drive a good bit if that is what is nessary.

Last edited by Heinzeag; 12-31-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,229 times
Unfortunately, short term housing is priced at a premium. I don't think you are going to find anything for a $1000 a month. Extended stay hotels are usually expensive.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM

51 posts, read 111,580 times
I would look at Prospect Towers in Hackensack. May run you closer to $2800 though. Other than that, there is always the extended stay hotels.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Yeah, since it is your whole family, there are few options beyond extended stay hotels... hopefully your company can help with the cost.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,014 times
There are many places you can sublet, even for up to a month, in NYC area (Brooklyn/Queens, for example). I forgot the websites but just google. Many places are fully furnished so you don't even need to move anything besides clothing.

It might not be cheap tho, it all depends on the arrangements.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
I doubt you'll find anything for $1,000.

Double Tree Hotel in Jersey City gives a $199. per night rate for a month long stay.
DoubleTree by Hilton | Hotel Resort, Vacation & Business Reservations

Candlewood Suites in Jersey City gives a $169. per night rate for a month long stay, but the Candlewood in Secaucus gives a rate of $109.

Keep in mind there are taxes on top of that.

Oakwood Suites has furnished apartments for rent in J.C., but they seem to be really, really expensive.
Corporate Housing, Temporary Apartments, Government Lodging, Serviced Apartments and Extended Stay Housing | Oakwood

When deciding on where to stay be aware of what New Jersey Transit will cost you to commute if you stay someplace not within the PATH system. Also, PATH is still not on a completely normal schedule since hurricane Sandy.
www.njtransit.com
PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Try calling hotels & tell them you're looking for an extended stay. Try negotiating. If the person on the phone can't negotiate, try speaking with the manager. You never know.

If you get a hotel room with a kitchenette that will save money because you can buy food & cook it yourself, rather than eating out for month.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
It's also tough to get some long-term stay hotels in NJ right now because people who lost their homes in the hurricane are still living in them and will be for a while.

My suggestion is that you run your own ad on Craigslist. Specify what you need and are willing to pay. Likely there is someone out there who has a rental open who is willing to take on a temporary solution if they haven't found a tenant, or may have reasons you haven't thought about.

Before I bought my condo, I put my own ad on Craiglist specifying that I needed a month-to-month rental while I searched for a condo to buy, could pay XYZ, needed two bedrooms, and that I had four cats. I got three responses right away and took the one that worked best for my commute. Turned out the landlord had bought a two-family house, had renovated the downstairs apartment for himself but still needed to work upstairs, and when he saw my ad he offered to let me temporarily live in the renovated apartment while he moved upstairs and did the work up there. (And he had four cats, too.) It worked out very well for both of us. I had a place to live for nine months, and he had some rental income while he did his renovations. You never know.

Your biggest problem will be trying to get a place large enough for a family on a budget that's low even for a one-bedroom apartment.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
I'd look on airbandb. You can negotiate a longer term rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey