Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,222 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, who are in our early to mid 30's are looking to move to the downtown/historic district of Jersey City from south Jersey with a move in date of January 15 to Feb 1 2013----renting

We have 2 crate kept pugs, and my wife is expecting our 1st child, and is due mid February so our move in date window is tight. We are moving back to the north Jersey area to be closer to family and due to a job opportunity. Both of us are working professionals established in our respective career fields we are homeowners ourselves, and have excellent credit.

Here are the main items we are looking for:

-an apt. With direct access to a fenced in backyard for our dogs
-2 to 3 bedrooms 1 bath or more
-washer and dryer in unit
-rent $2,000/mo willing to go a bit higher for the right place
-safe and established neighborhood- Hamilton park would be ideal

Any insight, leads, places etc. Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwriter&teacher View Post
My wife and I, who are in our early to mid 30's are looking to move to the downtown/historic district of Jersey City from south Jersey with a move in date of January 15 to Feb 1 2013----renting

We have 2 crate kept pugs, and my wife is expecting our 1st child, and is due mid February so our move in date window is tight. We are moving back to the north Jersey area to be closer to family and due to a job opportunity. Both of us are working professionals established in our respective career fields we are homeowners ourselves, and have excellent credit.

Thanks.
You answered your own question. Hamilton Park and Van Vorst Park are the only decent places in JC. Anywhere else and you are in a dump.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwriter&teacher View Post

Thanks.
Are you ok with duplex apartment (e.g. bedrooms in basement, or kitchen/living room in basement?). If so, you can probably find a 2-3 bd in Van Vorst or Hamilton Park for $2500-$3000. If you don't want to be underground at all, be prepared to go above 3K for in unit washer/dryer.

Sorry to be a downer, but in downtown Jersey City, $2000 barely gets you a 1bd with washer and dryer in unit, let alone one that takes pets. Anyone who's tried to rent or upgrade to larger unit in the past year can tell you, Newport/Grove/Paulus Hook/Exchange/Hamilton Park going rate is at least $2500 for a small 2bd and that is usu one floor in a brownstone or similar apartment. Backyard access rare.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
MrsPiggleWiggle is right on. Finding a place with all of these features in that budget is going to be impossible. You'll have to bump up to at least $2500 if not more to get everything on the list, I think.

And a few issues with backyards, if the building has them they're often for the shared use of all units in the building, which means you probably won't be allowed to have your dogs run around back there unattended. And, if you find a "garden" level apartment with sole access to a backyard, beware that apartments with floors lower than ground level (especially those with no sub-basement below) are prone to flooding in this neighborhood. And it wasn't just because of Sandy (a "once-in-500-year storm"). I can recall basement flooding in the neighborhood during Sandy, Irene, 2007, and 2005. Some parts of the neighborhood are more prone to flooding than others (west of Monmouth St., south end of Grove/Bright/Grand).

You might be better off in the end if you are willing to give up having a backyard for being a block or two from Hamilton Park's dog run. Or giving up in-unit laundry for having a laundry room in the building. This would at least give you more options and keep you closer to the target budget anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: