Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,615 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I've been lurking on this board for quite a while during my home search and have found it extremely helpful. I am finally coming out of hiding as I am under contract on a house in Montclair and have a few questions I am hoping you all can help with.

My house is in Montclair, right on the Glen Ridge border. My husband and I plan on walking to the Glen Ridge train station every day (it is a 15 minute walk), but are wondering if the weather is terrible, are Montclair residents allowed to ride the Glen Ridge jitney (as in getting a weekly/monthly pass for it)? Second question is, is there any parking available at the Glen Ridge train station, and if so, can Montclair residents get passes?

Second question is regarding the mail system. We have some friends who just moved to Montclair, and my brother and sister in law just moved to West Orange, and they all have mailboxes in their doors. Are regular mailboxes not allowed? They are all having issues with outgoing mail, saying the mail people will not take any outgoing mail. Is there something particular we are supposed to do with outgoing mail to mail it from our house?

Last question, I know there is a Whole Foods in Bloomfield avenue. I have read reviews on Yelp that the Pathmark on Bloomfield is not the best. Is that true? If so, what "regular" supermarket do most people in the area frequent, in addition to Whole Foods?

Thanks in advance for any help! Excited to be in the area!

Last edited by SchruteBeets; 01-01-2013 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Added another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchruteBeets View Post
Second question is regarding the mail system. We have some friends who just moved to Montclair, and my brother and sister in law just moved to West Orange, and they all have mailboxes in their doors. Are regular mailboxes not allowed? They are all having issues with outgoing mail, saying the mail people will not take any outgoing mail. Is there something particular we are supposed to do with outgoing mail to mail it from our house?
You mean they have a mail slot in their door, or an actual mailbox on the door? I live in West Orange and have a mailbox mounted next to my door; to send outgoing mail I just put it in the mailbox with the stamp showing. When I used to have a mail slot (elsewhere) I had to walk to a mailbox (the big blue kind) to mail things. As to whether you can put up a mailbox, best check with the Post Office.

Quote:
Last question, I know there is a Whole Foods in Bloomfield avenue. I have read reviews on Yelp that the Pathmark on Bloomfield is not the best. Is that true? If so, what "regular" supermarket do most people in the area frequent, in addition to Whole Foods?
Try Kings in Verona (expensive, but not as expensive as Whole Paycheck). There's an A&P in Upper Montclair but I've never been there. The biggest nearby regular grocery store aside from that Pathmark is probably the ShopRite in Essex Green (West Orange); I find the store layout to be terrible but they're much cheaper than Kings or WF.

If you're looking to drive to the train station I think Bay Street is your best bet. As for the jitney, I'm sure they won't check your residency if you pay a cash fare, for permits you should contact the borough: Glen Ridge Borough - 2012 Jitney Permits Information

Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Hello All! I've been lurking on this board for quite a while during my home search and have found it extremely helpful. I am finally coming out of hiding as I am under contract on a house in Montclair and have a few questions I am hoping you all can help with.

My house is in Montclair, right on the Glen Ridge border. My husband and I plan on walking to the Glen Ridge train station every day (it is a 15 minute walk), but are wondering if the weather is terrible, are Montclair residents allowed to ride the Glen Ridge jitney (as in getting a weekly/monthly pass for it)? Second question is, is there any parking available at the Glen Ridge train station, and if so, can Montclair residents get passes?

I love Montclair! Plenty of things always going on! Especially in May (May in Montclair) and the holidays!

There is a large Shop-Rite in Bloomfield that is very close to Montclair, and a much larger Whole Foods in West Orange, plus the large Shop-Rite in West Orange.

I used to go to the Pathmark in Montclair but I started to get creeped out by some of the people in there, especially at night.

The A&P in Upper Montclair is also nice.

There is a very large Stop and Shop in Bloomfield, but don't go there at night! The Shop-Rite in Bloomfield is in a better area.

I don't know anything about the Glen Ridge jitney, but here is a link:

Glen Ridge Borough - Glen Ridge Jitney Service

Most train stations in these towns have long waiting lists for parking spaces, and it is expensive.

Here is a link to one of my fave websites for current information about the Montclair area:

Baristanet*|*Your Local, Homegrown Online Community Since 2004 – Covering Montclair, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, West & South Orange, Maplewood, Millburn

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,491 times
Quote:

Hi, and welcome to town!

Let me try and help with a few of these questions:

1. Montclair residents are not allowed to ride the jitney. Not sure how they know if you're from town or not. Glen Ridge does not have parking at their train station, and street parking in Glen Ridge is time limited. You can (I think) park in Montclair by Glenfield Park and take the 10 minute walk to the station.

2. This is a question for the post office or your mail carrier.

3. In town, there's an A&P and Kings on Valley Road. A few places in Bloomfield as well.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM

25 posts, read 99,718 times
The A&P on Valley Road is pretty legit (good produce selection). I used to go there all the time when I went to the laundromat right next to the store (also recommended).

IF you're considering going to the Kings in Verona, save yourself some extra bucks and go to the Foodtown in Cedar Grove (just a little further down 23). MUCH better selection and fresher food than the Verona Kings, and it's much much cheaper.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 92,306 times
Welcome to the neighborhood, are you offering tours of the Beet farm? We live in Glen Ridge but I can help answer a few of the questions.

1) We looked into parking at the GR train station and it is street parking but it is by permit and you can stay the whole day. It is basically both sides of Ridgewood Avenue, south of Bloomfield. When we inquired (this fall) they had availablity but I am not sure whether they were offering it for non-residents. Here is the link:

Glen Ridge Borough - Parking

2) We still haven't figured out how the "non-mailbox" mailbox system works yet so I am going to leave this one alone.

3) Grocery stores we have defintely worked on, however. I am in the camp that thinks the Pathmark on Bloomfield is disgusting. Like really disgusting. The Whole Foods on Bloomfield in Montclair is also half a store so if you want a real Whole Foods you will want to go to the West Orange location. The A&P on Belleville Avenue in Bloomfield is pretty decent and huge so you can get everything done there if need be. We, however, have been making the 15 minute trip to Fairway off of Route 3. I am a big fan of incredibly high quality produce, meats, cheeses, etc. but I also want to be able to purchase "Bounty" paper towels, "Northern" toilet paper and "Coca-Cola" beverages. Not the hemp based alternatives that Whole Foods offers. Fairway fits the bill perfectly for us in that regard.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
There is also a new Trader Joe's in on Route 3W in Clifton for additional food purchases.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,910 times
I see this was posted a while ago but I wanted to chime in because I found this forum very helpful when moving to New Jersey.

I live in Bloomfield on the border of Glen Ridge and take the jitney every day - legally - I created an account here: Glen Ridge Borough - Online Payment Center and I purchase the monthly pass (or the single ride ticket packs) online to be shipped to my address in Bloomfield. My neighbors do the same. Glen Ridge Borough - Jitney Bus Service this site has more info on timing, location of pickups, etc. I'm on the North Side and the evening jitney driver Larry is a sweetheart and drops people off as close to their homes as possible.

In addition, the website offers the option to purchase non-resident parking permits (about twice the price of resident parking permits), and you can view the parking permit map here: Glen Ridge Borough - Parking Information The less expensive lots are far less convenient, and the closer "designated locations" seem very crowded, so we ultimately chose the jitney.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 AM

650 posts, read 775,391 times
how much is single family house there -- 2-3 bedroom? just average condition or need fix up

how long is commute time to NYC?

How is education for pre k?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
how much is single family house there -- 2-3 bedroom? just average condition or need fix up

how long is commute time to NYC?

How is education for pre k?
Looking at 300-400k entry level price in Montclair/ Glen Ridge.

35-50 minutes on the train, shorter from Glen Ridge, longer as you head north in Montclair.

Glen Ridge has free Pre K, Montclair does not, but they do have the community prek that has a sliding scale. Lots of private choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey