Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 AM

11 posts, read 29,991 times

Advertisements

I would recommend NJ, or Westchester county NY.

I would never recommend Long Island to anyone. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

Which area of the GTA do you live and do want a place similar to the area you live now?

I mean Scarborough is different from Markham or Missisauga or North York etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 AM

353 posts, read 1,020,639 times
Question... this person made ONE post 1 1/2 years ago... where did you unearth this historic post and do you think that she is still interested if she never followed up?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 29,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Question... this person made ONE post 1 1/2 years ago... where did you unearth this historic post and do you think that she is still interested if she never followed up?
Like her I only read this forum every once in a while which could mean months in between. So if she is like me she may come back periodically to read and not login. If she does not login, she is not tracked.

I have specific knowledge of living in both places since I live in Hoboken, NJ directly across the Hudson river from Manhattan and have lived in the Tri-State area for most of the past 25 years. Also I lived in the GTA for almost a year. I know that area somewhat too. This gives me knowledges of both regions she was talking about.

What I really find hard to believe is the fact that you actually took time to write an attack on me? Go do something else with your time. If you had something posotive to write...Great go right ahead but what you did was ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfitzhughes View Post
Hi All,

My husband has been working in NYC for the past few years. He commutes home to Toronto, Canada every weekend. We are thinking it's now time to make a permanent move. My question for all of you is where are the best towns for a family to move to within a 45 minute or less commute to the city?
I have two children 6 and 4 who will need a good school. I would also like the place to be safe and be self-contained. It would be great to find a place that has a thriving main street and is family driven, good restaurants and shops. I don't know anything about Connecticut or Jersey but have been out in Long Island a few times in the Freeport and Fire Island area. I am looking forward to your expert advice!!
Freeport and Fire island are very different extremes and opposite ends of the spectrum. Freeport is about as "ghetto" as it gets...wouldn't live there, don't drive through it...freeport is horrible. Fire island isn't really a place where people live all year round...plus there aren't roads...it's not really practical. It's more of a vacation place than anything else. I am saying if you are intersted in LI (and you should be), freeport and fire island are not really a good representation of what it's really like.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000xZero View Post
I would recommend NJ, or Westchester county NY.

I would never recommend Long Island to anyone. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

Which area of the GTA do you live and do want a place similar to the area you live now?

I mean Scarborough is different from Markham or Missisauga or North York etc.
have you ever lived on Long island? It is gorgeous and has some of the best schools in the country.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 PM

39 posts, read 72,380 times
Smile you really don't want to consider LI

Westchester County has some nice places such as Pelham, Bronxville, New Rochelle. Pelham and Bronxville are very expensive. Bronxville has a train that will take you into the city. Schools are great in those areas! New Rochelle has many lovely sections also.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 PM

31 posts, read 403,783 times
What's wrong with Long Island?

Old 06-21-2009, 01:37 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
If you grew up on Long Island, you're probably okay with it, but for me at least, I can't wait to leave that place whenever I'm there. It's the whole feeling of being trapped on a crowded island. I've lived there too, but my work locations where off the island so that made for a lot more stress, having to spend hours on the roads and rather big bucks on tolls other people don't pay.

Just a personal prefernce for me but I've heard many others express relief at not having to deal with it.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:19 AM

31 posts, read 403,783 times
So Long Island is overcrowded...like North Jersey. Sprawl? Rude people? Clickky? Expensive? Hard for a newbie to "fit" in.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:15 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
I think Long Island is the New Jerseyites' New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey