Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM

291 posts, read 390,713 times

Advertisements

Quite a situation...

Activists in Journalist Clothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
It's public information just like court proceedings. If they don't like they should tell their legislators to change the law.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
It's public information just like court proceedings. If they don't like they should tell their legislators to change the law.
Ok, then let's start publishing the names and addresses of the following:

Personal Bankruptcy filers
Food stamp recipients
Welfare recipients
SSDI recipients
Medicaid recipients
People losing their homes to Sheriff's sale
Unemployment benefit recipients
People committed to mental institutions by order of a judge (temporarily or otherwise)
People who have filed for divorce
Death certificates (with cause of death, suicide, etc...)
People receiving early intervention services from the state for autism, aspergers, and other childhood developmental disorders

I'm not talking about in the back of the paper in 1/2 point font where some of this stuff is listed already. I'm talking about in an article on the front page. Just because something is a public record doesn't mean it's a good idea to widely publish it

Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Ok, then let's start publishing the names and addresses of the following:

Personal Bankruptcy filers
Food stamp recipients
Welfare recipients
SSDI recipients
Medicaid recipients
People losing their homes to Sheriff's sale
Unemployment benefit recipients
People committed to mental institutions by order of a judge (temporarily or otherwise)
People who have filed for divorce

I'm not talking about in the back of the paper in 1/2 point font where some of this stuff is listed already. I'm talking about in an article on the front page. Just because something is a public record doesn't mean it's a good idea to widely publish it
can't you just blow them away if they harass you?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
It is public record and if someone wants the info let them search for it, for a newspaper to request, receive and publish is just not responsible IMO

Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
I wouldn't care if my child had a playdate in the home of someone who had filed for bankruptcy or was a Medicaid recipient.... but I most certainly would care if he had a playdate with someone who had a gun in the home. It is, and should be, public record, so whats the big deal? Lots of things get put in the paper, including delinquent child support parents and court petitions.... no one makes a stink about those.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I wouldn't care if my child had a playdate in the home of someone who had filed for bankruptcy or was a Medicaid recipient.... but I most certainly would care if he had a playdate with someone who had a gun in the home.
I'm glad I live in a rural part of the state where people don't worry about such things. So you would deny your child the opportunity to play with a friend if that friend's parent owned a shotgun and went bird hunting on weekends?

Quote:
It is, and should be, public record, so whats the big deal?
Who is disputing that it shouldn't be?

Quote:
Lots of things get put in the paper, including delinquent child support parents and court petitions.... no one makes a stink about those.
As I said, in the print version which hardly anyone reads, and on the back page which even fewer of those people read, in fine print which you can hardly see. Big difference between that and a featured front page article in the print and online versions. You don't think people would get angry if the Star Ledger had an above the fold front page article that read "THIS MONTH'S BANKRUPTCY FILERS, UNEMPLOYMENT RECIPIENTS, AND FORECLOSED HOMEOWNERS-COMPLETE WITH STREET ADDRESSES!" ? I think a few hackles might be raised.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM

265 posts, read 597,404 times
I would not deny a playdate at a friend's house, but would ask how the guns are secured.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
The scary part is criminals, people who like to break into homes now know where to go to steal guns...
Irresponsible journailism, and I use the term journalism lightly, at it's worst.

I'm with Andrew, would not deny my child to play at someone's home who had a gun/guns but would make sure how they were secured and I don't think most gun owners would be put off by the question.

So I guess if your neighbor was a police officer or any law enforcement...FBI, Sheriff's officer etc, that would mean your child could never play at that house because after all law enforcement officers usually have a gun in the house.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM

188 posts, read 190,686 times
Aren't these the same folks who are always announcing how proud they are to be law abiding gun owners? So what's the problem with publicizing their status as gun owners? They should be thankful and proud to have their law abiding gun owner status publicized. It's public information anyway. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey