Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM

78 posts, read 83,780 times

Advertisements

Hi-
My I'm looking to purchase a multi-family home. I have my heart set on Paulus Hook or Hoboken however these places are slightly out of my price range. Can someone recommend other neighborhoods with similar characteristics to these two areas, that are preferably cheaper.

I'm looking far an area that is an easy commute to NYC, walk-able, has nightlife/restaurants, safe and dog friendly.
Thanks so much!
Jane
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,526 times
You're going to have to be more specific. The only similarities between the two is they have PATH stations. Other than that they are NOTHING alike. Like comparing apples and oranges.Paulus Hook is a couple blocks radius on the water front , and IS the best area of JC. It is extremely quite around there. Somewhat family oriented.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Areas that are cheaper than Paulus Hook and Hoboken are cheaper for reasons--either they're farther from transit, higher crime, lower quality housing stock, whatever. Pick your poison.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
I'd look in Weehawken -- Better views and parking than Hoboken. Plus slightly more bang for your buck.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
You're going to have to be more specific. The only similarities between the two is they have PATH stations. Other than that they are NOTHING alike. Like comparing apples and oranges.Paulus Hook is a couple blocks radius on the water front , and IS the best area of JC. It is extremely quite around there. Somewhat family oriented.
Err... As someone who lives in Paulus Hook, it's definitely not the exact same as Hoboken, but it's far more similar to Hoboken than to anywhere else in NJ, except a few other neighborhoods in Jersey City.

Depending on what your price range is, the Van Vorst/Grove Street and Hamilton Park areas of Jersey City may be within it. They're still fairly pricey but are noticeably cheaper than Hoboken and Paulus Hook. I'd say you should look there first. Otherwise, there really aren't any areas of older, well-maintained housing stock that is dense, urban and walkable with good transit in New Jersey. Maybe atop the Palisades in Weehawken, for commuting by bus or ferry? Less walkable and less well-maintained, but potentially an option.

There's also the new developments on the waterfront in Weehawken, West New York, Guttenberg, North Bergen and Edgewater, but they're not nearly as walkable and also don't have the high-quality old housing stock if that's what you're really looking for. (Transit options are also not as good; the ferries are expensive, and the buses are slow.) They may end up being more expensive than buying an older home in Hoboken or Jersey City, though cheaper than a new condo in either city.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM

78 posts, read 83,780 times
Thanks for the advice.... I used to live in Paulus Hook and miss it very much. I've started looking into Weehawken but it doesn't have the same appeal as Paulus Hook.
I have driven past the new developments along the Hudson... but they don't seem that city-like at all.
I'm wondering if there are any communities inland that have good transportation.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
Thanks for the advice.... I used to live in Paulus Hook and miss it very much. I've started looking into Weehawken but it doesn't have the same appeal as Paulus Hook.
I have driven past the new developments along the Hudson... but they don't seem that city-like at all.
I'm wondering if there are any communities inland that have good transportation.
Try montclair

Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Err... As someone who lives in Paulus Hook, it's definitely not the exact same as Hoboken, but it's far more similar to Hoboken than to anywhere else in NJ, except a few other neighborhoods in Jersey City.

Depending on what your price range is, the Van Vorst/Grove Street and Hamilton Park areas of Jersey City may be within it. They're still fairly pricey but are noticeably cheaper than Hoboken and Paulus Hook. I'd say you should look there first. Otherwise, there really aren't any areas of older, well-maintained housing stock that is dense, urban and walkable with good transit in New Jersey. Maybe atop the Palisades in Weehawken, for commuting by bus or ferry? Less walkable and less well-maintained, but potentially an option.

There's also the new developments on the waterfront in Weehawken, West New York, Guttenberg, North Bergen and Edgewater, but they're not nearly as walkable and also don't have the high-quality old housing stock if that's what you're really looking for. (Transit options are also not as good; the ferries are expensive, and the buses are slow.) They may end up being more expensive than buying an older home in Hoboken or Jersey City, though cheaper than a new condo in either city.
Ok MAYBE the housing is somewhat similar, but even though the influx of yuppies and other assorted annoying characters that just moved in the past decade it still does not feel in any way shape or form like Hoboken(thank God). I work up the block, maybe we can wave at each other.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
You could try Montclair or Morristown.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Ok MAYBE the housing is somewhat similar, but even though the influx of yuppies and other assorted annoying characters that just moved in the past decade it still does not feel in any way shape or form like Hoboken(thank God). I work up the block, maybe we can wave at each other.
Psshh yeah. Hoboken has become noisy and over saturated with the post college crowd (and this is coming from someone who's age is well represented in Hoboken.) Paulus Hook and most of gentrified Jersey City is quieter than Hoboken. Not to mention that Jersey City has better quality restaurants, bars, and people than Hoboken.

Unfortunately, as previously stated the gold coast isn't as versatile as one would imagine. It's highly exclusive, expensive, and for the other areas other than Hoboken and JC the transit connections are less than stelllar. This is the problem -- not enough competitive and convenient alternatives that aren't run down or crime ridden. So you are basically stuck with paying through the nose to live in Hoboken or slightly cheaper in the safer areas of JC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey