Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Actually MQ, it doesn't really matter since new drivers can only have 1 non family driver in the car. Gone are the days where you got your license, and loaded up the clown car.
That's true, forgot about that!

My own kid is thrilled because she got her "horizontal" license a couple of months ago--she's 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM

26 posts, read 50,855 times
I went through this with my daughter she has a Dec birthday but was ready for Kindergarten this year. Her PreK teachers (who both were Kindergarten teachers previously) were telling me she was ready during the summer. I did look into trying to get her enrolled but no schools, private or public would allow this, no "testing" to see if she was ready. I just figure she will be the smartest in her class, as well as the oldest when she finally starts. the only thing I was told at the school where we will enroll her is that if she is too advanced for Kindergarten they will test her and if she qualifies move her up to 1st grade.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's true, forgot about that!

My own kid is thrilled because she got her "horizontal" license a couple of months ago--she's 21.
I'm going to go ahead and give this the old Beavis and Butthead snicker. She said "horizontal"... heh heh, heh heh, heh heh.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 25,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Holding kids back is the thing to do now. My daughter is late November. She's going to be the oldest in her class.
Same. Both of my kids are Nov. babies (Nov 2nd and Nov 6th), both unable to begin school until the year they turned six. My daughter goes to a PreK currently, and my son turned 8yrs old in November and is in 2nd grade.

My son is in all gifted programs, and is very much above his grade level in all aspects... they still would not allow any testing to be done to skip him any grades or for early admittance for Kindergarten.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM

312 posts, read 685,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmamarah View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments; much appreciated. Just to keep my options open, does anyone know of any districts which have late cut off dates?

As already mentioned, Springfield in Union County has a cutoff of December 1.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM

18 posts, read 39,253 times
palisades park cut off is late oct/early nov

more importantly, please note it is not a waste of an year. you want your child to succeed and excel i presume. if he/she is older, more developed, its also more likely he/she will have a much easier time grabbing new concepts and learning new things. (speaking from experience as teacher)

and if you somehow get her enrolled early as one of the youngest in class, it is highly feasible (if needed) to see him/her repeat a grade with her age dilemma

Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 PM

26 posts, read 52,901 times
My son's birthday was 2 days before the cutoff. I kept him back, and he's definitely not the oldest. I used to teach kindergarten and first grade. One thing to think about...most kids are ready for kindergarten, but will they be ready for first grade when the time comes? I know a lot of people who debated waiting the year, sent them on, and by 2nd or 3rd grade, regretted it. Also, she'll be a year more mature when she goes off to college, and I think that matters.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times
Default Private school in New Jersey offers late cutoff for Kindergarten

Hello

I found a gem of a school that offers a late cutoff. It is a small private school named, Trinity Lutheran. It is located in Bogota, NJ. You will find a warm, loving and inspirational environment for your child to blossom. I wish I had known about this school sooner as I would have enrolled my child there in their Pre-K / pre-schoool programs.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Didn't 60 Minutes do a story on this? Yes!

Redshirting: Holding kids back from kindergarten - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Personally, I would consider it a no-brainer to have my kid start as early as possible. From a financial perspective, it's one more year that they're out working. If the parent just helps the child out if they were born in December or whatever, then they should eventually be fine. Out of all the kids in my honors classes, they/we were all born the same year, with a decent amount having birthdays in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey