Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The OP could use Amtrak, which can save him a lot of time rather then catching multiple commuter rail lines and transfers. It may cost more to use the Amtrak option but it does indeed save on a lot of time.
Amtrak is very expensive. A regional train from NYC to Philly is at least $50 EACH WAY. You'd be talking $100 per day, $2k per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Amtrak is very expensive. A regional train from NYC to Philly is at least $50 EACH WAY. You'd be talking $100 per day, $2k per month.
Yes it is very expensive but a least Amtrak is a one seat ride instead of having to deal with transfers which add more time to the commute. Amtrak may cost more than commuter rail but at least it makes the commute more doable.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
The only thing that would make this commute even remotely reasonable would be to drive. I occasionally have to drive from the Newark area to Willow Grove. I take the NJ turnpike to the PA turnpike and it takes less than 2 hours, and there is little traffic since you're driving in the opposite direction as most commuters.

It would be cheaper to rent a studio apartment in downtown Philly than what you'd be paying in commuting costs, either by car or by train.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yes it is very expensive but a least Amtrak is a one seat ride instead of having to deal with transfers which add more time to the commute. Amtrak may cost more than commuter rail but at least it makes the commute more doable.
it's still insane no matter which way you slice it. you really think spending $24K a year in commuting is viable?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it's still insane no matter which way you slice it. you really think spending $24K a year in commuting is viable?
I know. Even Bloomberg takes the subway from time to time.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
According to the OP he said that the long commute was only temporary so it's not like he will be doing this commute year after year. If the OP is really concerned about commuting time then I would suggest paying the extra money and ride Amrak for a one seat ride. Personally I wouldn't attempt such a commute as 60 miles is the maximum distance I'm willing to commute to work but that's just me.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 PM

6 posts, read 5,951 times
I want to thank everyone for your responses. Im looking into moving to NNJ because I want to be as close to NYC as possible, but NNJ is more affordable for me right now. I was looking at some train options too before I posted this, and I saw the crazy commute time...but I just wanted to see if someone might have had some other suggestions. I was only considering doing the commute temporarily until I could find a job in NNJ, closer to where Im looking to move to. Again, this is just me doing some research before I relocate. Oh, and for the record Im a lady not a guy. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the responses.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokoPuff26 View Post
Oh, and for the record Im a lady not a guy.
They said the reason is probably that you're doing it for a lady.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokoPuff26 View Post
I want to thank everyone for your responses. Im looking into moving to NNJ because I want to be as close to NYC as possible, but NNJ is more affordable for me right now. I was looking at some train options too before I posted this, and I saw the crazy commute time...but I just wanted to see if someone might have had some other suggestions. I was only considering doing the commute temporarily until I could find a job in NNJ, closer to where Im looking to move to. Again, this is just me doing some research before I relocate. Oh, and for the record Im a lady not a guy. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the responses.

If you just want to go to NYC on the weekends, it's completely reasonable to do that from living somewhere near Trenton while not having an insane commute to Philadelphia.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Basically there is no way the commute would be in any measure tolerable, even if it's just temporary. I'd recommend as lammius said and look for something off the Northeast Corridor. You'll have a decent ride into Philly after you switch to the R7 in Trenton. And once you start working in NYC, you'll be on a direct line into NY Penn.
I know people that have done similar ones. It is hard, but I guess some people have more tolerance than others. In both cases it was temporary. One took a bus into manhattan and then took the greyhound bus to philly. 2 hour 40 each way. Did it for 4 months. Got a new job down there and wanted to make sure he liked it before he moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey