Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 124,578 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. I'm a New Yorker currently looking for a home in NJ. I've noticed that for many of the properties I'm looking at, the property tax has increased sharply over the past few years. I remember reading that Gov. Christie imposed a 2% cap on property tax increases, so I'm wondering how the increase can be so dramatic in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM

188 posts, read 189,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarps626 View Post
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. I'm a New Yorker currently looking for a home in NJ. I've noticed that for many of the properties I'm looking at, the property tax has increased sharply over the past few years. I remember reading that Gov. Christie imposed a 2% cap on property tax increases, so I'm wondering how the increase can be so dramatic in some places.
Christie didn't impose the 2% cap. He and the legislature worked on it. The legislature passed it and Christie signed it.

Now for the answer as to how increases can still be so high. The 2% property tax cap is a joke. First, it only covers the municipal portion of property taxes. The county and school taxes, along with a small open spaces portion, make up the bulk of property taxes in most municipalities in New Jersey. Second, the 2% cap included its own seeds of destruction. It allows exemptions by referendum for ALL of the very issues that lead to higher property taxes in the first place. So, if a municipality wants to exceed the 2% cap and voters approve the increase taxes still go up.

The tax cap was a political ploy. Don't fall for it. My property taxes went up over 7% total this year alone and over $3,000 over the past six years.

Here are some links with more info:

New Jersey League of Municipalities - DLGS Issues Guidance for CY 2011 Budgets

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/nyregion/13taxes.html

N.J. tax cap could be years from taking hold - NorthJersey.com

Last edited by bobd04; 01-06-2013 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Add links

Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,485,494 times
As bob said, the "cap" is a joke because it excluded the most common items that would relate to a tax increase. Even then, with a simple referendum vote the cap can be exceeded. I haven't heard of one referendum not passing since the "cap" was put in place.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,476,578 times
do they cap spending increases or just tax increases?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,485,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do they cap spending increases or just tax increases?
Just tax increases. If they can "creatively" spend the money via accumulating debt, they have no restrictions.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,476,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Just tax increases. If they can "creatively" spend the money via accumulating debt, they have no restrictions.
its a funny concept to cap revenue but not expenses. people need to start looking at debt as a tax. either that or dont allow government to take on debt.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM

26 posts, read 124,578 times
Interesting stuff. Thanks all for the replies. I should have known better. If it sounds too good to be true...

Old 12-02-2014, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,106 times
Great post! Even if the cap was successful it would be 2% a year increase and that would be a lot. 2% x 10 years is more than 20% as each year the increase compounds. Remember this is how savings accounts would work. I really don't know were this is all going? All I know is it is just too much for me.

"I am out"

Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,068,756 times
Well my Northern Jersey town kept the tax increases to 2% or less in the last three years that I checked. That is a lot less than a $50 monthly rent increase that I usually had when we were renting...

Not sure why you say that a referendum to raise taxes above 2% will always pass. After all, people will essentially be voting to tax themselves...

Overall, I think having an imperfect cap is much better than having no cap at all.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:23 PM

18,412 posts, read 15,121,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well my Northern Jersey town kept the tax increases to 2% or less in the last three years that I checked. That is a lot less than a $50 monthly rent increase that I usually had when we were renting...

Not sure why you say that a referendum to raise taxes above 2% will always pass. After all, people will essentially be voting to tax themselves...

Overall, I think having an imperfect cap is much better than having no cap at all.
People have short memories. Before the cap my taxes went up 6% every year. Now they stick to 2%. There was one year they went over the 2%, but that's no big deal compared to the old system. This cap may not be perfect, but it is better than nothing. And I specifically remember Christy wanted a hard cap, but the legislature wouldn't pass it until it got watered down, so I don't think they should get credit for any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: