Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,760 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have started research on buying our first home. Looking for advice on suburbs in NJ. Here is a breakdown of who we are/what we are looking for. MUCH appreciated!

- in our early 30s
- starting a family
- we both work in NYC
- train ride under 45 mins to Penn Station
- want a 3 bedroom with at least 1 & 1/2 bath
- good public school system (at least up to middle school)
- nice downtown/walkable areas
- safe neighborhood
- budget up to 500K (can we get anything in the area for this??? I've seen some nice homes on Trulia, etc. in this range. Totally understand we'll need to do some work on the home)
- any info on the attitude/vibe of the towns
- any info on the parking situation at the train stations

So far, we are interested in Maplewood, South Orange and have started some research on Rutherford.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Maplewood seems like a good fit.

I like Rutherford a lot too. Be aware that trip to Penn requires a change in trains at Secaucus (not horrible, but does add a little hassle and maybe 5-10 minutes)

You could also stretch your time on the train a little (you mean 45 min on the train, right? not 45 min total commute?), and try for Madison or Morris Township. You won't have newer or fully updated houses at your price, but I think you could still find decent options.

Last edited by HalfFull; 01-09-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 39,264 times
45 min commute and good schools are gonna contradict. most of the better family towns are a bit further than 45 min

on NJT pascack valley line. such as oradell, river edge

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
My friend lives in South Orange (shares schools with Maplewood). Her commute to midtown is very good and fits your criteria and you can definitely find a home in 500k range. She seems to like the school system, I am not as familiar so I will let others who live there chime in.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM

91 posts, read 375,999 times
Default Looking for 1st home in NJ

If you like Maplewood and South Orange, you would probably like Montclair and Glen Ridge, as well. You can find homes in your price range in these towns, which are on the Midtown-Direct Train line, but you may have more competition with other buyers because there is usually more inventory in Maplewood in the $400-$500k range.

If you would like more area information, you can direct message me.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM

28 posts, read 64,428 times
Just popping in to add Fair Lawn to the list- OK commute and budget fits the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey