Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,554,203 times

Advertisements

There have a been few updates added to the map to show a more accurate view of Newark and the surrounding cities. Any changes or suggestions are welcomed and will be taken into consideration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I don't see how it's exactly "pretentious", but Forest Hill is the safest part of Newark and there are very accounts of serious crimes such as shootings. The only parts of Forest Hill that can be considered sketchy are the very lower parts near Bloomfield Ave and Mt. Prospect Ave, which are already shaded. Outside of those areas, the only parts that could maybe yellow is Verona Ave and a few of the side streets because aesthetically they're more gritty than the rest of the FH.
i suppose we have different definitions of safety. i agree that forest hill is particularly isolated from everyday shootings but it has still had its share of robberies, thefts, etc. frankly, i think the odds of getting shot are low anywhere in the city unless you are in the drug game. for the average citizen, i think robbery would be a bigger issue. ...just my opinion.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
I think we need a little red spot in West Orange at Essex Green, two carjackings this year. Or maybe not, since this is based on how areas are at night, and both carjackings were in broad daylight. One thing I did learn: Apparently if you commit a crime and the cops are chasing you, you just head for Newark. The cops will only chase so far into Newark.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,091,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I think we need a little red spot in West Orange at Essex Green, two carjackings this year. Or maybe not, since this is based on how areas are at night, and both carjackings were in broad daylight. One thing I did learn: Apparently if you commit a crime and the cops are chasing you, you just head for Newark. The cops will only chase so far into Newark.
Criminals always head for Newark because a) that's most likely where they came from, or b) that's where they will cash in on the car/property/whatever they just stole.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 PM

273 posts, read 670,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Hate to bump but for Downtown Newark the orange should be extended up to Market Street. Same with the area south of Symphony Hall from Chestnut to South St, Broad to Mulberry as there's some HUD housing there. The Penn Station/CBD should be green from Broad St east and from the Prudential Center up to NJPAC. The Springfield Ave corridor between Bergen Street(where there's an Applebees and Cinema) down past Society Hill to MLK by the county courthouse is not red lol. Neither is the Belmont section between Irvine Turner and King, Spruce street up to W Kinney(though the NHA homes along Court could be). There are modern townhomes there(not projects or HUD housing) so it's a worst orange. It ain't red territory till you get to Muhammad Ali Ave and west of Irvine Turner.

For Mt. Vernon Place in Ivy Hill the corridor should be orange. Same with S. Orange Ave(Vailsburg side is more stable than east of the Parkway).

Ferry Street should be green between Penn Station and Wilson Ave as lots of people visit the restaurants well into the night.

For East Orange, Springdale Ave north to Renshaw, and from Glenwood east to N. Arlington should be yellow.
I second these recommendation of an otherwise fine map.

I like how even the border with the Central Ward does show some signs of improvement by the supermarket and New Community Corporation as well as Rutgers Medical Center providing some economic vitality to the area. I mean although I will say S orange and Bergen sometimes felt more unsafe than some parts of Brownsville I walked through it was an odd area - I would then see families relaxed and showing off there little kids on a Sunday afternoon and the call from the mosque and I thought how nice, and I learned from this big dude that he and his buddies keep in shape doing bar exercises in the playground (call themselves the "Barmasters"). In a way it seems to show a few signs of improving little by little. I hope it continues that way.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
I second these recommendation of an otherwise fine map.

I like how even the border with the Central Ward does show some signs of improvement by the supermarket and New Community Corporation as well as Rutgers Medical Center providing some economic vitality to the area. I mean although I will say S orange and Bergen sometimes felt more unsafe than some parts of Brownsville I walked through it was an odd area - I would then see families relaxed and showing off there little kids on a Sunday afternoon and the call from the mosque and I thought how nice, and I learned from this big dude that he and his buddies keep in shape doing bar exercises in the playground (call themselves the "Barmasters"). In a way it seems to show a few signs of improving little by little. I hope it continues that way.
I know you agree with the poster's recommendations and a lot of them are valid as I did make a few changes, but I couldn't agree with a few such as coloring Springfield Ave past Irvine Turner/Jones St orange just because it has an Applebees and a cinema. I'm sorry, but that area is still very hood at night, regardless of an Applebees and a cinema.

Also, the modern townhomes between Irvine Turner and King are very tricky. A lot of them do house low-income people (specifically, the Stella homes) and there are shootings that happen in that area. The thing is that aesthetically, they are an improvement, but when you walk by them, the hood element hasn't exactly gone away. I'll think about whether to leave it red or color it orange. And the area between Broad and Mulberry St, I can understand why one would see it as orange as it's pretty gritty looking and has some HUD housing, but crimewise not too much happens out there. I'll consider it though.

As for your comment: I'd say northern Fairmount by 1st St does show some signs of improvement, but it still needs a lot of work.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knock418 View Post
i suppose we have different definitions of safety. i agree that forest hill is particularly isolated from everyday shootings but it has still had its share of robberies, thefts, etc. frankly, i think the odds of getting shot are low anywhere in the city unless you are in the drug game. for the average citizen, i think robbery would be a bigger issue. ...just my opinion.
Robberies and thefts are considered, but even in those categories, Forest Hill is pretty mild compared to every other neighborhood. We're basing this off of how often or frequent these crimes happen at night and overall, FH is truly a safe neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM

Just an update: we made some of the changes suggested and some of our own. Once again, any suggestions are welcomed.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 927 times
Parts of Newark are very nice especially downtown, ironbound, university heights, and there are others I can't remember. Just like any major city in the world, exercise caution at night and dont be too flashy. For people broke like me it dont really matter tho. But please do not generalize a whole city or people by the actions of a very few. The overwhelming majority of Newarkers are hard working and nice folk. People tend to not think openly and just go by stereotypes they hear in the news or the suburbs.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM

40 posts, read 62,394 times
Anyone have a version of this for Jersey City?

I had one ages ago but Jersey City has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey