Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times

Advertisements

Over in the NYC forum, as some of you might know, we have a "Safety Maps" thread. I decided to make one for NJ as well. I couldn't do the entire state, so I just did Newark, Orange, East Orange, & Irvington. But if we could get some opinions, we can add more areas (Probably within Essex County, and if we have enough other areas within other counties like Hudson, Passaic, etc, we can make a seperate map).

In any case, credit goes to njnyckid for sharing his expertise on those areas.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a752a51d&msa=0

I just realized that I didn't make any purple areas like I did for the NYC areas. Keep in mind that if anybody throws out suggestions for areas to make purple, they should only be a few small pockets, not the whole neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
The Oranges living up to their name.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM

71 posts, read 152,759 times
I would put all of Ivrington in red . What are you basing this information on?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The Oranges living up to their name.
LOL. That's what I was thinking when I saw that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarValBoi View Post
I would put all of Ivrington in red . What are you basing this information on?
Well, from what people have said before, it seems like the worst parts of Irvington are the parts bordering the worst parts of Newark, so that's why it's drawn like that. Of course, I'm aware of Irvington's bad reputation and overall high crime rate.

Like I said, I based it off njnyckid's expertise of the area. Obviously, it isn't foolproof, but it does give a general idea, and we can work from there. For instance, just based off what a lot of people have said, it seems that Forest Hill is the safest neighborhood in Newark, and the Central Ward is the worst, and then areas like the Ironbound & Downtown are fairly safe, but you still have to keep your eyes open.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 28,784 times
the map looks fairly accurate.
seth boyden is a very dangerous project.
and the areas just west of downtown newark are definitely very sketchy....

Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
The North Ironbound is green , the South Ironbound is yellow....

Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The North Ironbound is green , the South Ironbound is yellow....
The map says it is based on how the neighborhood is at night. North Ironbound is definitely yellow... several carjackings and robberies have occurred in the past few months, the carjackings mostly at night. Check spotcrime.com. It's not a neighborhood where everyone can feel comfortable.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
The map says it is based on how the neighborhood is at night. North Ironbound is definitely yellow... several carjackings and robberies have occurred in the past few months, the carjackings mostly at night. Check spotcrime.com. It's not a neighborhood where everyone can feel comfortable.
So Ferry and Lafayette Street are dangerous what a load of bull? I can't find any car jackings in Newark and the links on that site seem iffy , I don't remember any shootings in the North Ironbound the Star ledger did not print it... The Rest of the crime listed is average city crime....so I would make it a Green.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So Ferry and Lafayette Street are dangerous what a load of bull? I can't find any car jackings in Newark and the links on that site seem iffy , I don't remember any shootings in the North Ironbound the Star ledger did not print it... The Rest of the crime listed is average city crime....so I would make it a Green.
I counted 4 carjackings and 1 robbery occurring from December 2012-present

Newark, NJ Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Newark - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I counted 4 carjackings and 1 robbery occurring from December 2012-present

Newark, NJ Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Newark - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
3 , one is in the South Ironbound...only 1 I count due to it being during the daytime hrs.... 10-5am overnight hrs , there are carjackings in Manhattan during those hrs and in what i call green areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey