Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM

18,414 posts, read 15,123,131 times

Advertisements

Another victory for Chris Christie and the people of NJ!

For those who claim the cap isn't working, perhaps it isn't working for your town for one reason or another, but it seems to be working very well for most of us.

"New Jersey homeowner taxes went up 1.7 percent last year, the smallest bump in more than two decades and a hard-fought milestone for one of the highest-taxed states in America.

Residents paid $7,870.28 on average in property taxes for 2012, an increase of $132.46, a Star-Ledger analysis of all 566 municipalities shows.

(See tax figures for your town in the table below.)

The 1.7 percent rise was the lowest since 1991, and for the first time, property taxes rose by a smaller percentage than the 2 percent cap on local tax growth enacted by Gov. Chris Christie and lawmakers in 2010." --The Star Ledger

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-13-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM

And if you lived in Morris County, your property taxes actually went DOWN!

Quote:
Property taxes actually declined in one county: Morris, where the $9,184 average was 0.8 percent lower than in 2011. Property tax growth exceeded 2 percent in only seven of the 21 counties.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,615,528 times
I though property taxes are controlled at the local level?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I though property taxes are controlled at the local level?
So this is all just a miraculous coincidence?

When Christie took office, the biggest issue in NJ was property taxes. Everyone likes the word "crisis" these days, so lets say we had a property tax crisis. Christie was elected, in a large part, on his pledge to rein in property taxes.

Over the past few years, I have seen a lot of people come on this board and claim that he has failed in that pledge. So, when "it wasn't working" it WAS "Christie's fault".

Now that the numbers are in and it is proven Christie's policies HAVE been working to rein in property tax growth, I fully expect the same people to come on here and say it's NOT Christie's fault that property taxes are under control.

This is the final nail in the coffin of anyone who decides to run against him in the next election.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-13-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,615,528 times
So if they go up again will you blame him?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
So if they go up again will you blame him?
If it happens under his administration, absolutely!

As the article says, the towns devastated by Sandy will be forced to raise property taxes above the caps this year. The cap legislation provides for emergencies. I know this is not what you are referring to though, because it would be disingenuous to blame Christie for that.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM

5,816 posts, read 12,576,249 times
It's a step in the right direction. My town didn't get the memo and exceeded the 2%. Now according to the article taxes where we live might go up over 20%. Can't wait. Still waiting for the federal disaster aid to be released so that I don't have to trade in my car and dog due to the storm. Maybe them pain in the ass tea partiers will release it when they get around to it. When Bush requested it after Katrina, both houses were controlled by republicans and released the money the next day. Now some members of Congress hate Obama so they go home for Christmas break as people sleep in cars and unheated homes, houses float in federal water, boats are sunk in major transportation channels and so on. I'll give credit where credit is do. Yes Christie has signed into law a decent bill to slow down property taxes in increasing.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM

4,061 posts, read 4,103,678 times
My property tax up 6% from last year. I actually did go into the town muni building and asked them who (the ####) determined how much to rise.

And the tax dept head gave me a long story and throw me some money say if your property tax is $3,000. I STOPPED him right there and I TOLD him I take the $3,000 property tax now.

Before I left there, I asked him has the property tax every drops? He said no.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM

16,752 posts, read 8,113,940 times
So with a 2% cap you better start going to all those board of ed., town council,fire Dept.(Vol.) and county meetings so you can find out which services they want to drop to stay in the 2% cap.

There are threads where people are complaining about Police Tkts., well in NJ the fines from the Tkts. are used at the local level to offset that cap. You better be prepared for higher fees and Tkt.(as well as court) costs. These can be called tax increases.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,489,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So with a 2% cap you better start going to all those board of ed., town council,fire Dept.(Vol.) and county meetings so you can find out which services they want to drop to stay in the 2% cap.

There are threads where people are complaining about Police Tkts., well in NJ the fines from the Tkts. are used at the local level to offset that cap. You better be prepared for higher fees and Tkt.(as well as court) costs. These can be called tax increases.
This is just good advice in general. I've said it many times on here, but the reason a lot of the local spending is out of control is do to voter apathy and low turnout. You have towns of 20k people where only 300 show up to vote for the school budget and BOE, then the other 19,700 complain when the school budget passes and there's a tax increase. On the municipal side, you have the same people running year in and year out in many towns and get voted in by the same small cadre that actually show up to vote.

This always surprises me, because people will turn out for a national or statewide election where their individual voice is less, but then will completely ignore the local races where their voice could have a much larger impact and the decisions made have a direct impact on their daily lives.

The property tax cap was a step in the right direction and it did work in Massachusetts, but they have less exemptions and it still took years for it to be fully realized. Given the exemptions available to the local governments and the ease at placing "authorization to exceed" on the ballot, people still need to remain engaged locally and hold their local officials accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey