U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM
 
636 posts, read 1,366,532 times
Reputation: 167

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm doing this for a friend.

She works in downtown JC and is looking to find a modest, affordable studio/1 BR. Her main concern is if she can find a place in this area for $1,400 or less as it seems downtown JC rentals are hot right now. Is this realistic? She can compromise on space and the quality of the building. Also, she does not need a parking spot.

Please find my answers below. Thanks!

Quote:
Where are you coming from?
East Brunswick, NJ
Quote:
Why are you moving?
Current commute is too long and would enjoy living in Jersey City
Quote:
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Downtown Jersey City
Quote:
Will you buy or rent?
Rent
Quote:
What is your budget ?
1,400/mo not including utilities
Quote:
What kind of place are you looking for ?
Modest, affordable studio or 1 BR. Just a small place to live within downtown Jersey City.
Quote:
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
No
Quote:
Do you need/want good public schools?
No
Quote:
Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Only one location is on her radar - Downtown Jersey City (by Grove St., Hamilton Park, Van Vorst, etc.)
Quote:
List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Downtown area, safety. That's pretty much it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Location: NJ
516 posts, read 942,600 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
Hi all,
She can compromise on space and the quality of the building. Also, she does not need a parking spot.
!
That's the big one. If she is really open minded to the older units, dated appliances, possible roach/vermin issues, she will be able to find something. I've seen 1 bd garden units (pre-Sandy, not sure how many units on the market were unaffected, I'm sure there are dry streets) around her budget and old un-renovated studios in brownstones for as low as $1200. However, parking will almost definitely NOT be included in that price.

If she needs to move in quickly, give Metropolis Towers (2 giant buildings with all the balconies) by Grove Street. Their studios are decent sized, decent condition (main complaint is roaches due to over-occupancy), all utilities included and go for ~1400-1500. Parking available for $125-150. Otherwise, keep her eyes peeled on Craigslist for listings closer to the Colgate/Brunswick section of Downtown... 1bd rentals in multifamily units are cheaper there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
 
636 posts, read 1,366,532 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
That's the big one. If she is really open minded to the older units, dated appliances, possible roach/vermin issues, she will be able to find something. I've seen 1 bd garden units (pre-Sandy, not sure how many units on the market were unaffected, I'm sure there are dry streets) around her budget and old un-renovated studios in brownstones for as low as $1200. However, parking will almost definitely NOT be included in that price.

If she needs to move in quickly, give Metropolis Towers (2 giant buildings with all the balconies) by Grove Street. Their studios are decent sized, decent condition (main complaint is roaches due to over-occupancy), all utilities included and go for ~1400-1500. Parking available for $125-150. Otherwise, keep her eyes peeled on Craigslist for listings closer to the Colgate/Brunswick section of Downtown... 1bd rentals in multifamily units are cheaper there.
Thanks for the reply!

Fortunately, no need for parking and she is living with the parents so there is no urgency to move out. She's fine with old appliances and such. Roaches/vermin are obviously a problem living in cities but she might have to deal with it for now. Any way to find out if roaches/vermin are a problem? I figure you could ask the landlord but he could just lie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM
 
Location: NJ
516 posts, read 942,600 times
Reputation: 480
When renting from a private owner, it's hard to tell. If she rents from a complex or highrise, she should expect roaches unless told otherwise by residents. The turnover in Downtown Jersey City apartment complexes is really high because the annual rent increases can be ridiculous (I've heard 20% from some coworkers) and with residents coming in and out, bugs move unit to unit =(
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM
 
908 posts, read 1,496,014 times
Reputation: 606
I have a sister who is a college student in Jersey City, and she said there are plenty of 1 brdms within your friend's price range. Some very nice ones too. Check craigslist to get an idea, but the local newspaper often has more listings. As mentioned here, there is a huge problem with rents going up pretty high every year. My other sister left Jersey City for that reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM
 
636 posts, read 1,366,532 times
Reputation: 167
ah, thanks again guys. do you also know the rent control laws in JC? (i.e. how many units a building needs to qualify for rent control)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
 
908 posts, read 1,496,014 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
ah, thanks again guys. do you also know the rent control laws in JC? (i.e. how many units a building needs to qualify for rent control)
Here's the info. on rent control. Online Help Center
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
 
35 posts, read 106,258 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Fortunately, no need for parking and she is living with the parents so there is no urgency to move out. She's fine with old appliances and such. Roaches/vermin are obviously a problem living in cities but she might have to deal with it for now. Any way to find out if roaches/vermin are a problem? I figure you could ask the landlord but he could just lie.

I don't know your sister but I think she deserves to live in a roach/vermin free environment...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM
 
908 posts, read 1,496,014 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindication15 View Post
I don't know your sister but I think she deserves to live in a roach/vermin free environment...
LOL, you unintentionally made me laugh. I read your comment and because I'm not wearing my glasses, completely missed "free". I thought, WTH dude?! Then I read it again, and laughed at myself. I'm getting my glasses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
1,271 posts, read 3,083,768 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
When renting from a private owner, it's hard to tell. If she rents from a complex or highrise, she should expect roaches unless told otherwise by residents. The turnover in Downtown Jersey City apartment complexes is really high because the annual rent increases can be ridiculous (I've heard 20% from some coworkers) and with residents coming in and out, bugs move unit to unit =(
Depends on the building. Definitely the older buildings in Newport have a not-great reputation and are not at all worth their prices (only a small discount from the much nicer buildings). Even the fancier Newport buildings don't have infestation problems, though, and I've never heard of a problem in any of the other highrises. Rent increases were huge a few years ago, since many of the new buildings opened with big discounts and then increased their rents to what the market would bear over the next couple of years. Now I don't hear about rent hikes so much.

That said, none of the highrises are within the price range; maybe the cheapest Newport studio is around $1700-1800. But much, much cheaper can be found by contacting local landlords, maybe as low as $1000/month for a 1BR if it's a garden/basement apartment around the Hamilton Park area (cheapest part of downtown). To be honest, Craigslist really works well, though you'll have to be willing to deal with the usual Craigslist trial-by-sketchiness to find the good deals. Newspapers also advertise rentals. But you could also work with a broker; there are rental broker offices along Grove St.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top