Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because it should have fallen to the ground in 1980, but they didn't pay attention to the worst fracture-critical bridges that were in bad shape until one of them, the I-35 bridge, fell into the Mississippi in 2007, taking some commuters along with it. That set off DOTs and authorities running around checking and doing some temporary fixes until they could figure out exactly what they had to do/analyze/design, etc. That's why you see the Tappan Zee being sped up now, and that's why the Pulaski is going to be worked on. The time for pretending they don't know is past.
OMG I remember that collapse on the Mississippi in 2007. I remember when that happened I immediately thought the next one was going to be PULASKI SKYWAY. Always, always, always was on my mind when I drove over that thing between 2007-2008. One time I got caught in a bumper to bumper traffic jam and I was kind of freaking out that perhaps the thing was going to fall.

The crazy thing is they have been doing construction on it for the last few years but I think it's Union hour BS -- no real structural work has been done. I recall back in 2008 they were painting the side of the bridge at 3am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM

127 posts, read 261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
and where would the extra $4,000,000,000 come from?
If they garnished every NJ resident's (I'm gonna include children and toddlers here of the 8.8 mil residents) pay check for one year, there would be $18.91 deducted from each paycheck. Thats pretty expensive indeed, but if the movie Avatar cost 300 million to make and grossed 2 billion, I think public and private enterprises alike can swing this project

Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
If they garnished every NJ resident's (I'm gonna include children and toddlers here of the 8.8 mil residents) pay check for one year, there would be $18.91 deducted from each paycheck. Thats pretty expensive indeed, but if the movie Avatar cost 300 million to make and grossed 2 billion, I think public and private enterprises alike can swing this project
Avatar was funded by Hollywood big wigs. Pulaski Skyway will be funded by taxpayers. I don't think any public or private enterprises will be touching this project.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Avatar was funded by Hollywood big wigs. Pulaski Skyway will be funded by taxpayers. I don't think any public or private enterprises will be touching this project.
Check this out:

With U.S. infrastructure aging, public funds scant, more projects going private - Washington Post

I would say there are a fair number ("over 70") of infrastructure projects with private financing. Seems to be the way things are going actually. State Gov'ts can't resist. Even the parking meters in Chicago are owned by the "Abu Dhabi Investment Authority"!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Check this out:

With U.S. infrastructure aging, public funds scant, more projects going private - Washington Post

I would say there are a fair number ("over 70") of infrastructure projects with private financing. Seems to be the way things are going actually. State Gov'ts can't resist. Even the parking meters in Chicago are owned by the "Abu Dhabi Investment Authority"!
Won't happen. The Unions won't allow it.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Won't happen. The Unions won't allow it.
Has nothing to do with unions. Has to do with whether state legislatures allow it. New York and Pennsylvania recently passed laws allowing public-private partnerships for state projects. The Goethals Bridge is being procured as a "P3" (but that's not a state government so no new laws were needed).

Why would unions care anyway where the money comes from?

I don't know whether NJ allows P3s yet, but I will find out.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
I can't believe people still actually drive over that decaying relic....have not put one tire on it in over 25 years...
Now I just read they are looking for a car that supposedly plunged off the dam Pulaski last night..

Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I can't believe people still actually drive over that decaying relic....have not put one tire on it in over 25 years...
Now I just read they are looking for a car that supposedly plunged off the dam Pulaski last night..
I saw that on the front of the Jersey Journal at the deli this morning. Going to go look and see if there's anything online.

Update: It still looks as though this hasn't been confirmed. There were "reports" and people "heard screams" but it's kind of vague as to why they really think that a woman with kids plunged over the side of the Pulaski.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Why would unions care anyway where the money comes from?
While you are correct that the decision to allow private funding for an infrastructure is up to the state legislature, I'm sure the union lobbies would be against this. They would be afraid that the private interests would make the case for hiring their own non-union employees (I'm sure this is legal somehow). Unions hold an incredible sway over the legislature so, in a way Freshflakes is right: in this state it'll probably be tougher to privatize the skyway. Maybe in another state or even another country it'd be easier to non-unionize the workforce. But.. who knows if the state is in a severe transportation budget crunch, the private money will talk louder than the unions!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I got detoured there a few weeks ago because the Wittpenn is closed. OMG, the Wittpenn AND Pulaski closed at the same time? Dear lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: