Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 45,989 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I've been searching for a new apartment for a few months now. Bayonne seems feasible to me because I work in Hoboken and it's a decent commute there with the light rail. I'm currently staying with family in Staten Island and commuting through Bayonne, so that's how I decided to consider looking there.

I've seen a few places so far, nothing's wowed me. Tonight I'm checking out a place not too far off of Ave E and close to the 8th St. Light Rail station. Would this be a decent place, as far as safety goes? I am a single woman and will be living alone, so safety is my number one concern.

Unfortunately my budget is pretty tight so I am hoping to stay in the range of no more than $950, but preferably lower than that.

Some other questions, any ideas on an average bills for electric, gas, and cable/internet?

My other issue with Bayonne is parking, as I understand it's tough to find spots and you need a resident parking pass.

Thoughts and advice, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
can you be more specific where this apt. is? that area goes from nice to not so nice within a block or two. is it south of the underpass?

average bills with utilities are going to vary wildly depending on how the home is insulated, etc. there's no "average" unfortunately.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
can you be more specific where this apt. is? that area goes from nice to not so nice within a block or two. is it south of the underpass?

average bills with utilities are going to vary wildly depending on how the home is insulated, etc. there's no "average" unfortunately.
It's on Cottage Street...and I saw it tonight, definitely interested. I didn't get a bad vibe from the neighborhood at all, just seems quiet, which of course, can be good or bad too. Is it the desolate kind of quiet, or just quiet? Two blocks or so up is Broadway, which seems like a main strip. I read some things on this forum implying that it's a dead zone place for business, but there seemed to be a few restaurants and cars parked all over. I'm not planning to buy in this area, at least not yet, this is just a rental. So I don't necessary need a thriving community, just a safe place to hang my hat and living space.

Also, there is a playground right across the street. I'm not sure if this should be of concern, but there was a young kid passing by me a bunch of times on a scooter. Curious, nosy, or 12 year old thug? I dunno.

If those issues are not a concern, I'm definitely taking the place.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 99,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telefender View Post
It's on Cottage Street...and I saw it tonight, definitely interested. I didn't get a bad vibe from the neighborhood at all, just seems quiet, which of course, can be good or bad too. Is it the desolate kind of quiet, or just quiet? Two blocks or so up is Broadway, which seems like a main strip. I read some things on this forum implying that it's a dead zone place for business, but there seemed to be a few restaurants and cars parked all over. I'm not planning to buy in this area, at least not yet, this is just a rental. So I don't necessary need a thriving community, just a safe place to hang my hat and living space.

Also, there is a playground right across the street. I'm not sure if this should be of concern, but there was a young kid passing by me a bunch of times on a scooter. Curious, nosy, or 12 year old thug? I dunno.

If those issues are not a concern, I'm definitely taking the place.
I've lived here for awhile now....it's like a small town in the midst of the big city. Very quiet, which I like (and very isolated, which I don't).

Regarding sketchiness, basically unless you live in the 50s and up (inching to JC), you're good. Even then, you still aren't too bad.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Hi again folks!

well that place didn't work out, but I saw another tonight that I am interested in. It's on Broadway, in the 40s. I didn't get a bad vibe at all from the place or the surrounding areas, and judging from my research, I should be good safe - wise!

After seeing the place, I did drive around the side streets to get an idea of parking. My thing is that I'll be hopefully able to walk to the Light Rail and leave my car home during the week. Not sure how feasible that will be though, so I figured I'd ask here. I already know that I will have a resident parking sticker, the realtor told me about that. I did see a spot here or there, but it was dark and hard to tell. So my question...what is the with those side streets? I big while outlined areas that I thought were spots, but the cars are parked everywhere BUT within those lines. And sometimes I'd see a car squeezed in there too. So how am I supposed to know what is a legal spot and what isn't?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 PM

25 posts, read 99,694 times
Quote:
Hi again folks!

well that place didn't work out, but I saw another tonight that I am interested in. It's on Broadway, in the 40s. I didn't get a bad vibe at all from the place or the surrounding areas, and judging from my research, I should be good safe - wise!

After seeing the place, I did drive around the side streets to get an idea of parking. My thing is that I'll be hopefully able to walk to the Light Rail and leave my car home during the week. Not sure how feasible that will be though, so I figured I'd ask here. I already know that I will have a resident parking sticker, the realtor told me about that. I did see a spot here or there, but it was dark and hard to tell. So my question...what is the with those side streets? I big while outlined areas that I thought were spots, but the cars are parked everywhere BUT within those lines. And sometimes I'd see a car squeezed in there too. So how am I supposed to know what is a legal spot and what isn't?
DON'T park in the lines. Unlike other parts of Hudson County, driveways are marked with those rectangles. Obviously unless you have the rights for the driveway, you will be probably towed (or at least ticketed). It's not Weehawken/Hoboken/West New York, so you will find spots, but just remember to follow parking rules or else risk a ticket. Yes, unfortunately the parking authority does go out to those residential areas and give tickets.

As for parking the car and walking to HBLR.....I live in the 30s and do it all the time. Really has saved money in the long run b/c you're not paying for gas/tolls and your insurance bill goes down for only "pleasure driving" and having a much lower mileage total.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 AM

Ok that's what I expected was the deal. Thank you!

Gonna send all my info and lease app today so hopefully things will work Out.

Thanks again!!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,830 times
My question is to telefender ...or anyone who has some knowledge of a subject matter
I'm currently trying to find a place in Bayonne,
and seems harder than I've thought.
Can you recommend some good real estate agency?
Or just share info on the one you've used?
Any suggestions at all on searching process will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,830 times
Default Info request.

Quote:
Ok that's what I expected was the deal. Thank you!

Gonna send all my info and lease app today so hopefully things will work Out.

Thanks again!!
My question is to telefender ...or anyone who has some knowledge of a subject matter
I'm currently trying to find a place in Bayonne,
and seems harder than I've thought.
Can you recommend some good real estate agency?
Or just share info on the one you've used?
Any suggestions at all on searching process will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM

13 posts, read 26,009 times
Default Try Weichert

On Lefante Way by Stop n Shop they dominate the local market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey