Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM

131 posts, read 360,419 times

Advertisements

i have been hearing a lot on the radio lately about people leaving nj and lot more want to leave. i've been in jersey my whole life and was wondering what others from jersey think about this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySkreenName01 View Post
i have been hearing a lot on the radio lately about people leaving nj and lot more want to leave. i've been in jersey my whole life and was wondering what others from jersey think about this????
there's been a massive outflow for years, the difference now is that there aren't as many people from NY moving in to balance the flows, so now the figures show a huge outward migration. My town has seen at least a 30% turnover the last 10 years, old timers leaving, Nyers replacing them

Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
My husband and I did just that in 2005 and moved to Kentucky. It was a job relocation move but we've also been restless and unhappy with NJ for quite some time too. We couldn't deal anymore with insane real estate taxes, even more insane car insurance costs, and work commute that required super-human patience. There's an article on Foxnews.com today about it today too:

FOXNews.com - Poll Finds Almost Half of New Jersey Adults Want to Move Out of State - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM

191 posts, read 697,764 times
My boyfriend and I are planning to leave in about a year and a half - main reasons include high property values, taxes, weather and the people - we are looking for good food, culture, friendly people, the ability to own a nice home where we can build an outdoor kitchen/living area and no snow! We don't have kids/family and only a few good friends here so it's not a difficult decision - finding the right place to build a future, not so easy. So far, due to our love for the New Orleans area, we are strongly considering Baton Rouge - close to all the fun but far enough away to not live in fear of having to evacuate. Only problem is finding decent employment for myself - the boyfriend is self-employed and can live anywhere.

We've overheard many people discussing the recent study on people leaving the area and in talking to them discovered that we're not the only one's with this crazy idea - so far, we haven't come across one person who didn't want to leave but was stuck for one reason or another.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
People in general in the Tri-State are are just restless to relocate. People from NY are moving to NJ in droves. People from NJ are moving to PA in droves to avoid the influx from NY. People from PA are moving every which way to avoid the influx from NJ. I'm personally pondering a move to Massachusetts in 2009 or 2010, but I know someone from NJ will take my place. Meanwhile, urban sprawl in all three states continues to worsen.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
GraceC

How do you like KY? I have been considering the same thing.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Calico,

I love it so far. I'm in Lexington (central Kentucky) so check out the Lexington forum to know more about it. The weather is similar to NJ but the further south you are in Kentucky the less snow you get, if any. I've experienced 2 winters here and I've probably seen snow only 3-4 times out of those two years. It's the light snow that melts as soon as it touches the ground, so hardly any noticeable accumulation at all. I've never had to buy rock salt in winter so far. People are friendly, food scene in general is not bad, and if you're outdoorsy type, you can do boating, hiking, cave exploring, fishing, etc. You can get a brand new 2200 - 2500 sqft house for around $200K - $250K here. The property tax is roughly 1% of the assessed value of your house.

The job scene is not bad too, depending on your background of course. In Lexington the big employers are Lexmark/IBM and University of Kentucky. Outside of Lexington, there are Toyota, EDS, Humana, ACS, Amazon, etc. And oh, don't believe the hype people say that pay is lower in small cities compare to NJ. If you're good at what you do, you will get the same or higher pay here.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 PM

I forgot to add the best part, MY COMMUTE TIME :-) It takes me 15 minutes to get to work so I get to actually sit down and digest my breakfast properly before work. My husband goes home to lunch since his office is only 4 miles from home. Before this job, he used to commute 85 miles one way from Lexington to northern KY and it only took him 1 hr or so. When we were still in NJ, I commuted 50 miles one way on Rt. 78 going east, and it took me 1.5 hours to 2 hours on a good day. I certainly don't miss that part at all.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I forgot to add the best part, MY COMMUTE TIME :-) It takes me 15 minutes to get to work so I get to actually sit down and digest my breakfast properly before work. My husband goes home to lunch since his office is only 4 miles from home. Before this job, he used to commute 85 miles one way from Lexington to northern KY and it only took him 1 hr or so. When we were still in NJ, I commuted 50 miles one way on Rt. 78 going east, and it took me 1.5 hours to 2 hours on a good day. I certainly don't miss that part at all.
I'm just waiting for someone to come along and say "yeah....but you can't get good pizza and bagels in Lexington".......lol

Old 10-19-2007, 12:56 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm just waiting for someone to come along and say "yeah....but you can't get good pizza and bagels in Lexington".......lol
I'm am fairly certain you can't. I have never had a good bagel or pizza outside of the NY, NJ, CT area. I think it's the water. But as you know, everything is a trade off. I bet there are some things in KY that are made better than NJ.

Last edited by Calico696; 10-19-2007 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey