Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM

41 posts, read 170,490 times

Advertisements

I think you would just need to drive by the street where the house is to see if you liked it - Madison isn't very big and all three elementary schools are great so you wouldn't really have to worry about that or safety, but some streets and sections are cuter than others. WHen my husband and I moved from Hoboken in 2009, we considered Westfield too but he commutes to NYC and its a worse commute since there are no direct trains. Time wise, its about the same but if one train is late, then you miss the other, etc... plus, it just kinda stinks having to switch trains. I really liked the downtown and all the town activities there though. We were in the same price range and the homes we saw in Madison for that price were in cuter areas than Westfield. We prefer the downtown in Madison as well, more Mom and Pop kind of feel, easy to get around - and the short hills mall around the corner. Schools are ranked higher in Madison (we are #6 in the state!) We have a great ymca, great town pool, we have a toddler and so many activities around to choose from all over town. Our taxes are very low. Chatham next door is another great town, smaller downtown, 4 minutes closer on the train (both towns under 50 minutes on the express train.)

If you couldn't tell from my profile, I'm a realtor here and you are right, right now not a ton on the market in that range, but there will be, and soon. The spring market is just starting to pick up and its the best time with the most inventory. You should see if you can find the listing for a house that just went under contract on Hamilton street for 579k. Met your criteria, small but updated, and in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in that price range (walk to town/train/pool, kids play on street, etc.) It went in under a week though. You'll see that happens here alot. My advice is to start seeing some homes before you are ready to pull the trigger, that way, when the right house comes along at the right price, you'll be ready!

Last edited by ktmac; 01-17-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,440,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdor0514 View Post
Are their any area's in Madison that one would want to avoid? I understand that some areas are more desirable than others but are there any sketchy blocks? Or can I feel rather comfortable putting an offer on a house and not worrying about the neighborhood?

No, there are no sketchy areas of Madison. Personal preferences will come into play, such as do you want to be near the train station, or far from the tracks to avoid any noise)

HTH

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,988,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdor0514 View Post
Are their any area's in Madison that one would want to avoid? I understand that some areas are more desirable than others but are there any sketchy blocks? Or can I feel rather comfortable putting an offer on a house and not worrying about the neighborhood?
You would want to avoid areas that experience negative influences from: power lines, commercial properties, public parks, busy roads, railroads, pumping stations, flood zones, firehouses, police station, town hall, municipal use like the highway or sanitation department, poorly maintained residential structures, schools, apartments or multi-family homes, or any other non-residential structure or land use that diminishes peaceful enjoyment of a residential property. So, in Madison or any other smaller borough, that covers quite a bit of ground if you think about it. I am going to throw out a guess that 30%-40% of the properties in the Borough would suffer diminished desirability from one of the influences I just described. So, if you are investing your hard-earned money in your personal residence, you would, if you could afford to, like to stay away from these properties if at all possible.

The bottom line is: no municipality in New Jersey gets automatic Heaven status. Each property needs to be individually evaluated for problems and issues.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM

79 posts, read 152,584 times
Would you also consider a municipal water tower to be an undesirable structure?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenaff View Post
Would you also consider a municipal water tower to be an undesirable structure?
Yes. It is unsightly and it needs periodic maintenance. Ideally, in a developed area, you want your house to be surrounded by only one thing - other houses.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,128,421 times
IMO: Water tower down the other end of the street: fine.
Water tower next door / across the street: not fine. Seriously, how would you like this view: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Water tower next door / across the street: not fine. Seriously, how would you like this view: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
You do get some very nice shade here, and at least a modicum of protection from any collateral damage caused by a plane crash. With the added benefit that the contents of the water tower would put out any fire in such a crash. So it's glass half full for me...

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 01-17-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Did an appraisal in the Spring Garden section of Madison today and ran some numbers. Median home price last 12 months: $570,000. Prior 12 months: $554,000. So it looks like we have a little appreciation! About 3%. I also notice that we have only 3.7 months of inventory in Madison, and most homes are selling in less than 60 days. Not bad, given New Jersey's tepid employment numbers.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 01-17-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Joke #2: That's not a water tower. It's a Contemporary...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,128,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Joke #2: That's not a water tower. It's a Contemporary...
Hardee har har.

I actually looked at the house across the street. Didn't really like it anyway, but seeing the enormous water tower walking out the front door was pretty jarring and probably would have killed the deal on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey