Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Shhh! You're stepping on someone's talking points

BTW - did we have to pay back the $ to the feds?
Idk , but it would explain why we aren't getting anymore funding. We are the only state in the NE that hasn't gotten any funding for projects since 2010. At least billions for large projects , which means our Master Rail Plan has been delayed by 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Default The public sector unions of this state created this mess

No I would say the criminal politicians that stole the money from the pensions to give tax breaks to the wealthy.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDude92 View Post
The public sector unions of this state created this mess, and now Governor Christie has to clean it up. In case folks didn't hear, there was a hurricane in 2012. So, yes, we did add some debt. Furthermore, pension reform is actually going to save billions of dollars over the next three decades. Furthermore, unlike the federal government, we have to make ends meet here in New Jersey.
Not sure if I am correct but werent the pensions fully funded until politicians from both parties raided the pension funds?
I understand when you are a hardline Dem or Reb it hurts to be honest if it hurts your party line but thats exactly whats wrong with this country.
I have a hard time blaming Gov Workers when they in fact have contributed all along only to have their money stolen by both parties. So how did they created this mess?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Not sure if I am correct but werent the pensions fully funded until politicians from both parties raided the pension funds?
I understand when you are a hardline Dem or Reb it hurts to be honest if it hurts your party line but thats exactly whats wrong with this country.
I have a hard time blaming Gov Workers when they in fact have contributed all along only to have their money stolen by both parties. So how did they created this mess?
i'd like to hear this answer as well, apparently NJDude doesn't know this history of the pension fund. He probably also thinks the workers don't contribute either.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM

188 posts, read 190,743 times
Quote:
Shhh! You're stepping on someone's talking points

BTW - did we have to pay back the $ to the feds?
Thanks to help from Senator Lautenberg and Obama Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, New Jersey *only* had to pay back $95 MILLION of the $274 MILLION Christie's unilateral cancellation of the largest public works project in the country had us on the hook for.

The legal fees for the high power Washington firm Christie hired topped another $1 MILLION. You'd think a former U.S. Attorney could handle his own legal problems, especially when they're of his own making. But no, the people of New Jersey paid for Christie's incompetence again.

New Jersey Transit took another $279 MILLION loss on Christie's ARC tunnel cancellation.

All so Chris Christie could steal $4 billion for his depleted transportation fund and keep his phony monicker of anti-tax conservative. LOLOL

N.J. still facing bills for tunnel - NorthJersey.com

N.J., feds settle bill for canceled ARC tunnel for $95M | NJ.com

- NJ.com

NJ Transit took $279M loss on rail tunnel - NorthJersey.com

And for all the people with their talking points about how Christie saved us money cancelling the tunnel -- guess what -- surprise, Christie LIED.

Report Disputes NJ Governor Chris Christie's ARC Tunnel Fears - WNYC

U.S. report: Christie overstated tunnel costs - Philly.com

And it did cost New Jersey and the entire region BIG TIME for decades to come.

Christie Scrapping Tunnel Brings $5 Billion Wage Loss, Threatens Montclair - Bloomberg

Just more examples of how Chris Christie is a disaster as governor. The answer to who we should vote for to replace Christie is as easy as ABC -- Anybody But Christie.

Last edited by bobd04; 01-20-2013 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Wacky formatting

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM

188 posts, read 190,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'd like to hear this answer as well, apparently NJDude doesn't know this history of the pension fund. He probably also thinks the workers don't contribute either.
Christie Todd Whitman started raiding the pension fund to fill in the holes in her budget left by her measly sales tax cut. Everyone warned her that stealing from the public pension funds was illegal and it would lead, along with her sales tax cut, to skyrocketing property taxes but she did it anyway and the legislature did nothing about it.

Every governor since Whitman has either used money from the public pension funds or failed to pay the state's contribution.

BTW, the guy who Whitman beat to become governor was Jim Florio. Florio instituted the sales tax and that was unpopular but New Jersey voters were so angry over the sales tax they failed to give Florio credit for being the only governor in years to have a balanced budget and a state that ran like clockwork.

They gave Whitman their votes for a 30% cut in the sales tax and we've been paying through the nose for that mistake ever since.

Here's a link to a NY Times story for verification:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/22/op...he-future.html

Last edited by bobd04; 01-20-2013 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Edit to add link

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 PM

20,340 posts, read 19,925,039 times
So, who can we have run against Christie?

If the Ds or Is don't put up anyone who will present a plausible plan (as in a REAL plan, not the stale, old fashioned Machine stump speeches about the plight of the middle class, "it's for the children", the rich are bad, Geo Bush....) what choice do we have?

Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

If the Ds or Is don't put up anyone who will present a plausible plan (as in a REAL plan, not the stale, old fashioned Machine stump speeches about the plight of the middle class, "it's for the children", the rich are bad, Geo Bush....) what choice do we have?
I don't think you understand bob. He is fine with all that stuff. In his opinion, that is better than Christie. He said as much, "Anyone but Christie." Anyone includes Corzine and McGreevey.
That is why all this stuff he is posting isn't resonating with anyone here. We have all seen the articles he posts already. He thinks he is giving us some new information that will miraculously change our minds. The great majority see Christie, for all his faults, as a huge improvement over what we have had in the past. Bob thinks we all have short memories. Much in the way this type of thinking failed the GOP in the presidential election, it will fail the democrats in this one. We don't forget governors that were in bed with the unions granting them everything they asked for, with no one representing the people at the bargaining table, all while property taxes rose 6% year over year.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-21-2013 at 04:36 AM..

Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Christie will win and nobody wants to jump in the ring with him. Sandy help the Gov. and it shifted the attention from some of his failed economic policies to his fine leadership during Sandy. If not for Sandy the field of potential Gov would be vastly different, as would the Gov poll numbers. Regardless of all of that he did a fine job during Sandy and some of the poor economic numbers are getting better.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
A larger Christie Twitman.
AHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA. That is too hilarious. Since its MLK Day, I'll give Mr.Christie credit for not being a bigot/racist like Whitman.
However, because he isn't fond of teachers, or education, he can't get my support. My sister works too hard to educate her students, another sister is a hardworking college kid working to become a teacher, and two other siblings are up to their necks in student loans, and still in school racking up more debt, just to be able to work to pay the debt off. I hope when my kids are ready for college, the state will better handle funds, have legislation to prevent mismanagement, and prevent attacks on our teachers & students. Thankfully, Christie's no Tom Corbett(MAJOR D-Bag who makes Christie look LIBERAL). We plan to move back long before my oldest is in H.S(2yrs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: