Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

I still fail to see how waging a battle against the worst excesses and lagresse of the NJEA immediately equals that Christie hates teachers and education. There are plenty of teachers out there who disagree with NJEA policies and tactics, but of course those teachers can't "vote with their feet" to leave the union since they are legally required to be members, or at least legally required to pay due's. I also don't see Christie being anti-education, especially when the state is currently spending more on education then it has at any point in the past. The claims that Christie "cut education spending" are based on comparing current to 2009 numbers. In 2009 Corzine infused $1 billion of Federal stimulus money into the education system and that was never more then a one-shot lump of money and even Crozine said there was no way the state could match those levles in the future and that districts should spend wisely.

Debt is one area that I feel Christie could do a better job on. However, the article only gives passing mentioned to the fact that the current debt increases, at least $5.3 billion of it are tied to pension and retiree benefit debt increases in those systems. The plan put forward by Christie during pension and benefit reform negotiations and agreed to by the Legislature and unions accounted for this shortfall as the state increased it's payments each year before reaching full annual funding by 2018. The plan Christie and the Legislature adopted actually makes the pension system viable and 90% acuarially funded after 30 years. That's how long it's going to take to repair the 20 years of complete mismanagement.

Since the reforms were put in place Christie's budget has fully funded the pension and retiree benefits per the laid out plan. The plan Christie and the Legislature put in place will incur more short term debt on paper, but the plan over the long term will save the state government $80 billion and local governments $43 billion. The local governments are already seeing the benefits and local governments saved $267 million in pension costs in 2012 and another $84 million in retiree benefits costs.

The only added debt beyond what was planned in the pension and benefit reforms was around $760 million in additional bond issues. This is the money that was short changed into the Transportation Fund to balance the budget. As the Transportation Fund can issue bonds without voter referendum this is a common trick used by NJ politicians to borrow money. Basically, take all the cash in hand from the Transportation Fund and then let them borrow what they need. I do fault Christie for using this tactic to plug the budget gap, I do not fault him for the shortfalls in the pension and retiree benefits system as they are following the plan that was laid out to fix those systems.

As for ARC I think Christie made the right call. It was not the right project in that it didn't work with what was going on within NYC by not connecting to Penn Station or taking into account two other plans (the No. 7 Subway and Amtrak's Gateway Tunnel) that actually provided connections to the existing system within NYC. The cost of ARC was pegged at $500k-$700k per rider and didn't take people where they wanted to go in NYC which is Penn Station or the East Side. The most fervent estimates stated a 15 minute reduction in commute times and an additional 44,000 jobs added within a DECADE of the completion of the project. Total costs were $2.7 billion to NJ already and the strong possibility that NJ alone would bear any costs above the $8.7 billion "paper" total. Those cost overruns were expected to hit $4-$5 billion as the project had already nearly doubled in cost during its planning phase.

ARC was pushed through during the Corzine administration even though it was not the project that any of the actual transportation planners wanted to see happen.

ARC rail tunnel's high price tag, financial impact criticized at transportation forum | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Debt is not a Republican or a Democrat problem alone. Both are very guilty of heave debt. Watch both very carefully.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM

607 posts, read 958,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
However, because he isn't fond of teachers, or education, he can't get my support. My sister works too hard to educate her students, another sister is a hardworking college kid working to become a teacher, and two other siblings are up to their necks in student loans, and still in school racking up more debt, just to be able to work to pay the debt off. I hope when my kids are ready for college, the state will better handle funds, have legislation to prevent mismanagement, and prevent attacks on our teachers & students. Thankfully, Christie's no Tom Corbett(MAJOR D-Bag who makes Christie look LIBERAL). We plan to move back long before my oldest is in H.S(2yrs).
I thought you said in another thread that you homeschool your children.

How high is YOUR opinion of teachers? Or are they just not good enough for your kids?

Quote:
have legislation to prevent mismanagement
If you are referring to tenure reforms, CC has been pushing for this since the beginning, and recently got some changes passed through a bill authored by a Democrat

Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Debt is not a Republican or a Democrat problem alone. Both are very guilty of heavy debt. Watch both very carefully.
that's true -- where they differ is on how they pay for their largesse :

R's use loans & other financial gimmickery

D's raise taxes/fees

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: