Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What the OP means is that the parking PERMITS are all taken, although that's not how s/he phrased it. Sure, he or she leaves earlier and gets a spot...and a ticket. Or a tow.

OP, get your name on the waiting list, and then check out other stations on your line. When I moved here there were two train stations nearly equal distance from my house. Red Bank had no permits available, but Little Silver did. Or, as someone else suggested, find a private resource.
I thought (s)he just meant daily pay spots... in which case leaving earlier is sometimes the only option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I thought (s)he just meant daily pay spots... in which case leaving earlier is sometimes the only option.
I thought that could be a possibility too, but I looked up the info on NJ Transit's site, and it's a parking permit situation.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
A few options:

1. Get the spouse to drop you off/pick you up.
2. See if Berkeley Heights has a jitney that could help you.
3. Get a folding bike.
4. Pick a different house (within walking distance to a train station).

Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM

328 posts, read 682,405 times
Clearly you have a problem that cannot be fixed easily. Getting up earlier is never an option, and should not be considered. That would mean you would be getting less sleep, and rushing in the morning--which is never a good idea. And walking 1.4 miles is out of the question, even if you are healthy. Most people in your area will drive their car 1/2 mile to just go to the corner store. I have even noticed people driving to the end of their (short) driveway to get the mail.
The only logical solution for you is to move. Suggest that instead of a house 1.4 miles from the station, you buy one 1.1 miles--that way you can walk. That is possible, I know, since I walk with my dog about 1.5 miles everyday. If that does not work for you, the other logical alternative is to take an apartment in the City and eliminate the 1.4 mile walk.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
Clearly you have a problem that cannot be fixed easily. Getting up earlier is never an option, and should not be considered. That would mean you would be getting less sleep, and rushing in the morning--which is never a good idea. And walking 1.4 miles is out of the question, even if you are healthy. Most people in your area will drive their car 1/2 mile to just go to the corner store. I have even noticed people driving to the end of their (short) driveway to get the mail.
The only logical solution for you is to move. Suggest that instead of a house 1.4 miles from the station, you buy one 1.1 miles--that way you can walk. That is possible, I know, since I walk with my dog about 1.5 miles everyday. If that does not work for you, the other logical alternative is to take an apartment in the City and eliminate the 1.4 mile walk.
A whole 3/10s of a mile isn't going to make a huge difference. I don't think 1.4 miles of walking is onerous, but it will cut into the commuter's time, which is already limited.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A whole 3/10s of a mile isn't going to make a huge difference. I don't think 1.4 miles of walking is onerous, but it will cut into the commuter's time, which is already limited.

Methinks the tongue was firmly planted in the cheek.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Methinks the tongue was firmly planted in the cheek.
LOL. Maybe I hadn't had enough coffee.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Or take a taxi to the train station.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
maybe car pool with someone to the station and pay them something for their time and gas?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
If you can find a 'pickup' person who will drive you (and you chip in) for gas/parking. Just be ready before the time you are schedule to be picked-up. No one who is going to do it going to sit in your driveway waiting for you. The second they arrive you need to be walking out the door.

Not getting your coat on, shutting down your laptop/tablet, getting your briefcase.
You need to be coat on, briefcase in hand, looking out the door ready to walk out the second they are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey