Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I read the post. "Every day" was clearly the wrong choice of words Three days a week of being in the car two hours each way still seems excessive to me. It's not as if the OP's wife is off the other 2 days of the work week, she's working from home. Working from home does not typically equal time with your kids. My employer requires that if you work from home you must certify that you will not have any childcare responsibilities during normal working hours.
The OPs wife already said she was fine with the commute. You're mixing up commute time and working time. No one spends time with their kids while working. The point is that there is not commute those two days and thus there is time to spend time with the kids... assuming that is a goal of the OP. You should stop ignoring the goals of the OP which are clearly laid out in the OP.

If the OP chooses to give higher priority to the commute and compromise on the education and environment of their children, then you're implied suggestion of living closer to where the wife works makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The OPs wife already said she was fine with the commute. You're mixing up commute time and working time. No one spends time with their kids while working. The point is that there is not commute those two days and thus there is time to spend time with the kids... assuming that is a goal of the OP. You should stop ignoring the goals of the OP which are clearly laid out in the OP.

If the OP chooses to give higher priority to the commute and compromise on the education and environment of their children, then you're implied suggestion of living closer to where the wife works makes sense.
Livingston would be the better commute, which is on his list.

Why is it a compromise if they don't go to WW? Do you really think there aren't schools as good in this state?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Livingston would be the better commute, which is on his list.

Why is it a compromise if they don't go to WW? Do you really think there aren't schools as good in this state?
There are some others. Tenafly, Princeton, Magnet schools, Private schools. There are a few options.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
There are some others. Tenafly, Princeton, Magnet schools, Private schools. There are a few options.
It's absolutely staggering that we have successful, well adjusted functioning adults who didn't go the number 32nd or 15th (WW-P rankings in 2 studies) school in the state.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It's absolutely staggering that we have successful, well adjusted functioning adults who didn't go the number 32nd or 15th (WW-P rankings in 2 studies) school in the state.
I think it has more to do with the environment and not just the schools alone. We have successful people in NJ who never attended high school.

The best you can do as a parent, in terms of education, is increase opportunity and potential while being supportive.

Let's not lose sight of the goals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarara576 View Post
Our goals
Kids school, challenging curriculum, STEM, Science bowl, Robotics, Good inspiring/spirited/motivated parents & kids

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM

7 posts, read 21,029 times
Quote:
I think it has more to do with the environment and not just the schools alone. We have successful people in NJ who never attended high school.

The best you can do as a parent, in terms of education, is increase opportunity and potential while being supportive.

Let's not lose sight of the goals:
Its more of the above is what we are lacking in where we are now. We typically dont wait for someone to start something or take initiative. We have been coaching teams for a while in Robotics, other programming etc...

The problem is parents and kids who reflect them mostly are not spirited in tough things in life. For example: preparing for competitions. Some, only some, rarely spend 2-3 hours 3 times a week to prepare for lets say Robotics. Many drop and go. You can coach the Kids but not the parents. Nothing against parents since there could be a 1000 reasons for them personally. Atleast iam happy they or their kids want to learn something special and strive hard for it. Also dont get me wrong. I love coaching and all kids come over for years for these sessions and did not miss a session.

'nuf me ranting...Thanks all for the great feedback. I have planned to talk to few parents in person who are friends of my friends in Middle and High School south. I hope to get more feedback from those friends.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Its more of the above is what we are lacking in where we are now. We typically dont wait for someone to start something or take initiative. We have been coaching teams for a while in Robotics, other programming etc...

The problem is parents and kids who reflect them mostly are not spirited in tough things in life. For example: preparing for competitions. Some, only some, rarely spend 2-3 hours 3 times a week to prepare for lets say Robotics. Many drop and go. You can coach the Kids but not the parents. Nothing against parents since there could be a 1000 reasons for them personally. Atleast iam happy they or their kids want to learn something special and strive hard for it. Also dont get me wrong. I love coaching and all kids come over for years for these sessions and did not miss a session.

'nuf me ranting...Thanks all for the great feedback. I have planned to talk to few parents in person who are friends of my friends in Middle and High School south. I hope to get more feedback from those friends.
Sounds like you are an enthusiastic parent! Talk to the folks you know and maybe contact the parents from the Robotics Team. They have quite a rigorous 2013 schedule.

MidKnight Inventors | "You never forget your FIRST Robotics!"

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Quote:
We are planning to move to either Livingston or West Windsor. Kids are in 1st and 3rd grade.
We shortlisted 2 cities for moving purely for academic and school reasons. Me and my wife work in Piscataway and Park ridge NJ. We live in Clifton, NJ. We are ready to comprise the travel for the kids as they show lots of interest and are in different clubs locally. In school they are getting bored. Not bragging here. They both are in gifted and talented but its very limited like 2 hours per week here and is not competitive or challenging for them. We cannot afford Private for both. They are already in Robotics programs, Science programs locally. Its community programs and not much is done in schools for the full 8 hours they go. They are enriched outside school curriculum like Kumon etc... not more could be found here where I live.

Livingston
Pros
-Robotics, Science bowl preparations, Aggressive local teams for different clubs and various activities
Cons
-Expensive houses
Neutral
-Distance for both of us, Ok.

West Windsor
Pros
- STEM ranked 11th last I checked, Science bowl top 6 in various categories, great reputation, challenging curriculum, affordable townhomes, low property taxes
Cons
- Distance is terrible. Test drove in peak time 5pm, 8am to Park ridge. It took solid 2 hours for my wife. For me it took 25-35 mins depending on traffic. She can work from home 2 days a week. she is ok but still its a long drive. We are ready to bit the bullet if schools are awesome as heard in few places and seen in results in many STEM competitions

Our goals
Kids school, challenging curriculum, STEM, Science bowl, Robotics, Good inspiring/spirited/motivated parents & kids

What Iam looking for
Advice from Parents who are living in either Livingston OR West Windsor on
a. School system + curriculum
b. Is there a gifted and talented system
c. Is the pressure too much for kids [I heard a story of a friend's friend that in a party his friend's son and his friend were very sad...'cas his son could not get 98% and missed AP by 1% since cut off was 99% in 1 subject.]
d. How is the commute time to norther NJ or in the nearest highways - what time is best to avoid or travel back from North to South or vice versa
e. TownHomes: [budget:450k] are there are good localities with competitive kids around, motivated families - this is one of the problems we are facing now in our community. They look at us like deer on headlights. Some join our club - most of them dont do much but expect us to do all the coaching, preparation etc... no help from others. Frustrating and Tiring over years...

Any help from people who lived/living in these 2 places would be greatly appreciated.
thank you !!!
Here are towns equal or better than West Windsor in no particular order;

The Caldwells
Florham Park
Madison
Chatham
Summit
Westfield
Cranford
New providence
Berkeley Heights
Mountain side
Bedminster
Bernardsville

You have choices other than a two hr commute

Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
OP - can you briefly outline why you have limited this query to only these 2 towns?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
I hear you. But isnt the STEM ranking - curriculum, AP course based #11 th rank in the country for Plainsboro South high school mean something Vs no STEM ranking Livingston [even though they have great community outreach club programs] ?
The high school in Plainsboro is High School North.
The one in West Windsor is High School South.

Real estate taxes in Plainsboro are generally lower than in West Windsor.
Plainsboro is also in Middlesex County, whereas West Windsor is in Mercer County.

Probably doesn't really make any difference; just letting you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey