Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,006 times

Advertisements

Though SPAN can be very good, as they know the laws inside & out, you may be better off going with these guys just because they will have a much stronger working knowledge of autism:

NJ Parent Advocates | Resources | Autism Speaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 AM

31 posts, read 108,455 times
Sorry guys. I was in transition between my old job in TN and new job in NJ for last few weeks so could not respond to this thread..OK, so I had a visit to Parsippany last week for my first week of new job and got to roam around quite a bit for just looking at the apartments (from outside). I checked the apt communities on Route 46 and I must say I was disappointed (and shocked too) looking at the state of the buildings there (on route 46 and littleton road)..I realize those are old constructions from 1960-1970's..I didnt get to see any open areas (not playgrounds) for kids to play but open landscapes..there were buildings and then there were parking lots..also, checked some apt complex near Parsippany lake..same story there too..I did check some on Route 10 in Morris Plains (Mountain Club Condos) which kinda of looked better compared to the ones on Route 46 except that it is on a hill..not sure how it is when it snows. But Route 10 definitely seems to be newer area which is developing fast...Ofcourse I didnt explore the newest ones that go for about $2200+ per month...So for my 2 Bed room hunt for $1600, I guess I have to decide one of the Parsippany old communities or move away few miles towards West of Parsippany..the towns that I am contemplating are Rockaway, Dover, Randolph.. which brings to my next question - Does anyone has any idea on how good Rockaway and Randolph special ed are ? I totally get it that, every child is different and needs are different and services are different so it is not a simple question.

I see some good garden communities in Randolph and Rockaway and newer constructions too with better amenities and ambience (ofcourse except the 10 mile drive on I-80 to my office (intersection of 287 & 80) which could easily be 20 minutes considering the traffic etc).. I am just weighing my options perhaps between Route 10 apartments in Morris Plains and those in Randolph/Rockaway... I have read responses where people have said good things about Morristown special ed too..but hardly any good 2 BR in my range.

thanks for being able to share your valuable inputs in my "nest" hunt..

Old 05-25-2014, 06:09 AM

28 posts, read 69,825 times
Default memphis to NJ

kapil take it easy, its kind of same for me too
I moved to NJ
after that autism hit me, due to vaccines
I can imagine Memphis and other areas sucks in terms of spl education
they would probably put him in self contained.

here's my 2 cents
since your kid is HFA, you shld try for inclusion.
Now some districts will give it easily if your child is
verbal and talking sentences and with very lil behaviors
I know a family who got this easily in Edison, NJ
whereas we are fighting tooth and nail to get this.
generally districts to stay away are Edison, woodbridge,
piscatway, Newark, Elizabeth, jersey city etc etc

Where as around Morristown the school districts seems reasonable.

Another option is to try to put him in private schools,
either you pay >45K per yr from your pocket
or fight with the district ( this is very unlikely as you have
to prove to the court that the school district did not
make any improvements to your child, usually after
1 or 2 years in school)

Lucky for you, you are in NJ
Unlucky that you are not in Memphis
I Wish rest of country can learn some from NJ.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM

26 posts, read 28,633 times
I guess by this time, you are settled in NJ since you post is in 2013. Anyway, one thing that people who have children with autism should know in NJ is the fact that every town is a school district. This is not the case say, in FL. If you are in disagreement with the school district in NJ, finding another school in another town can also take time. Unlike in FL, you will be able to move from one school to another much easier because all the towns are in one big county. In NJ, the county is just plain and simple - a county. Hence, disagreement with the school district will always land you a notch higher and that is the OSEP, part of the DOE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey