Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM

88 posts, read 201,467 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I currently live in Monmouth County, where Sandy hit. I don't travel to North Jersey that much. So I was hoping to get some travel advice from Central Jersey and Gateway Region residents here.

This March I'm going to see Taylor Swift at the Prudential Center. I used to attend NJIT. So I'm only familiar with the University Heights section of Newark. I've never been to the downtown area, where the arena is located.

In order to get to NJIT, I'd take the Garden State Parkway, the NJ Turnpike, I-280, and MLK Blvd. According to Google Maps, I can take the Garden State Parkway, the NJ Turnpike, Route 1/9, and the McCarter Highway to get to the Prudential Center.

I know Newark Penn Station is a couple of blocks from the Prudential Center. But I've never taken NJ Transit to Newark. The only time I've ever taken NJ Transit was when I used the North Jersey Coast Line to get to Madison Square Garden.

On the day of the concert, the doors open at 6 PM. I want to arrive at the Prudential Center by that time.

I realize that traffic will be a challenge getting up to Newark (the concert is on a Friday night). At the same time, I might miss the trains back to Long Branch (trains run only once every hour) due to the large volume of Taylor Swift fans overcrowding outbound trains.

So should I take the train to and from the Prudential Center? Or should I just drive to and from Newark?

What would you guys advise me to do? Which option would be my best bet?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 AM

513 posts, read 1,166,846 times
We go the the Prudential Center often. It's very easy to get there by car and the parking is very abundant..we pay $15/event to park right next to the Prudential Center. Have fun!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
We go the the Prudential Center often. It's very easy to get there by car and the parking is very abundant..we pay $15/event to park right next to the Prudential Center. Have fun!
But what about all the tolls and traffic on the GSP and the Turnpike?

Should that be a factor as opposed to taking the train?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
I would rather pay the tolls and 15-20 to park to know that my car will be there when I get out and I can leave when the concert is finished. My husband went to Prudential Center late November and took the train back just to Hoboken and it was a nightmare. Also if the concert runs later than you think, it could affect your plan.

Sometimes these trains are not on time, you might have to transfer a couple of times, or they don't run after a certain time. I would plan that very carefully if you decide to go on NJT or you could get stuck or pay a lenthy taxi fare.

I think it's better to have peace of mind and drive there even with traffic.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 AM

271 posts, read 417,040 times
its 2 blocks from penn station ... the coast line runs every hour until like 12 i think ( double check ) theres restaurants in penn station and next to the arena so id say take the train hopefully its a nice day out ... security will be tight so you dont have to worry about that

Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I would rather pay the tolls and 15-20 to park to know that my car will be there when I get out and I can leave when the concert is finished. My husband went to Prudential Center late November and took the train back just to Hoboken and it was a nightmare. Also if the concert runs later than you think, it could affect your plan.

Sometimes these trains are not on time, you might have to transfer a couple of times, or they don't run after a certain time. I would plan that very carefully if you decide to go on NJT or you could get stuck or pay a lenthy taxi fare.
How was the train back to Hoboken a nightmare?

Doors open at 6 PM for the concert. What time should I arrive at the Pru Center to secure a parking space?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
How was the train back to Hoboken a nightmare?

Doors open at 6 PM for the concert. What time should I arrive at the Pru Center to secure a parking space?
The one from Newark to Secaucus was late and then that caused him to miss the one from Secaucus to Hoboken. He rarely takes NJT and of course when he was trying to get info from any staff at Penn Station, they were completely unhelpful.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
The one from Newark to Secaucus was late and then that caused him to miss the one from Secaucus to Hoboken. He rarely takes NJT and of course when he was trying to get info from any staff at Penn Station, they were completely unhelpful.
Just a tip in case you want to try transit again, if you go to Newark Broad Station, trains go from there directly to Hoboken, no need to transfer at Secaucus. I've gotten hosed by missed transfers at Secaucus too. Sucks.

And to the OP, from Monmouth Co., the North Jersey Coast Line goes right through Newark, so no need to transfer for that trip. Having a one-seat ride is certainly less stressful (less opportunity for things to go wrong) than having to transfer.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
And to the OP, from Monmouth Co., the North Jersey Coast Line goes right through Newark, so no need to transfer for that trip. Having a one-seat ride is certainly less stressful (less opportunity for things to go wrong) than having to transfer.
Yes. But I've heard stories where late at night, some of the North Jersey Coast Line trains won't go all the way to Long Branch. One of my friends was riding the North Jersey Coast Line south on a Saturday evening, and his train went out of service at the Middletown station. He ended up having to transfer to a separate North Jersey Coast Line train to go further south.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
I would either drive all the way to Pru Center and park right there, OR, I would drive to Harrison and park there and take the PATH train into Newark (PATH train goes to Newark Penn, same as NJ Transit).

Advantages of taking PATH from Harrison:

• Driving to Harrison is less complicated than driving into and around Newark. Take GSP to 280 East and get off at Exit 16.
  • You avoid the concert car traffic around Pru Center.
  • Parking in Harrison is cheaper.
  • PATH is more reliable and runs much more frequently than NJ Transit so you have more flexibility time/schedule wise. You don't have to worry about NJ Transit trains getting off schedule (or you, yourself, getting off schedule because of the concert running late).
  • PATH fare is dirt cheap and the ride between Harrison and Newark is literally less than 2 minutes. (So why not just drive all the way into Newark, then? See first 3 bullet points above.)

NOTE: Regarding Hurricane Sandy--I am assuming that there are no overnight/weekend service issues with the PATH train out of Newark if you are only going to take it one stop over into Harrison. The PATH website currently says the following:

"...service to and from Exchange Place and World Trade Center remains suspended from 10 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday, until further notice"

I'm assuming that means that the Newark-to-WTC train won't go all the way to Exchange Place and the WTC stations, but the trains themselves are running as per normal between Newark, Harrison, JSQ & Grove St.

Can someone confirm that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey