U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 17,141 times

Advertisements

My husband's job got transferred to Lafayette, NJ and he is currently commuting from Bergen County. We have been looking at towns in the sussex county area but really don't know which one's would be good to raise a family in, have good schools, recreation activities for the kids, good community where we could meet others, and just an overall good place to live that is affordable (up to $500,000). From what we have seen, we like Lafayette, Stillwater, Hampton, Fredon, Sandyston, and Wantage but are not sure about flooding, community, and what the towns are really like. We found a beautiful home in Sandyston, but there doesn't seem to be that much going on there. Living in Bergen County forever, I know what towns are good, if they are growing, if home prices are decreasing, and the overall health of the town. Now, we are stuck because we don't know the area at all and our realtor is no help. We want to move to a thriving community where are children can grow up in.

Please, anyone who can offer suggestions and brutal honesty about what towns are worth looking at and what towns aren't would be greatly appreciated. Any comments, suggestions, advice, etc., is needed!

Thank You,
Tara
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM

559 posts, read 1,282,488 times
Fredon is a lovely town ideal for a growing family. Good schools and great recreation opportunities. Use a local realtor from Sussex COunty. Sydney Uster lists just about everything in Stillwater and Fredon.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 PM

17,686 posts, read 17,238,738 times
Try Sparta or Byram Twp.

The elementry/middle schools and both Sparta and Lenape Valley HS are good schools.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM

4 posts, read 17,141 times
Thank you so much for the info. I will check these towns out.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,711,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Try Sparta or Byram Twp.

The elementry/middle schools and both Sparta and Lenape Valley HS are good schools.
Agree.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,256,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Try Sparta or Byram Twp.

We have friends that live in the Lake Mohawk area of Sparta and they love the community and have been mostly pleased with the schools.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 AM

3,858 posts, read 9,186,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmb092281 View Post
My husband's job got transferred to Lafayette, NJ and he is currently commuting from Bergen County. We have been looking at towns in the sussex county area but really don't know which one's would be good to raise a family in, have good schools, recreation activities for the kids, good community where we could meet others, and just an overall good place to live that is affordable (up to $500,000). From what we have seen, we like Lafayette, Stillwater, Hampton, Fredon, Sandyston, and Wantage but are not sure about flooding, community, and what the towns are really like. We found a beautiful home in Sandyston, but there doesn't seem to be that much going on there. Living in Bergen County forever, I know what towns are good, if they are growing, if home prices are decreasing, and the overall health of the town. Now, we are stuck because we don't know the area at all and our realtor is no help. We want to move to a thriving community where are children can grow up in.

Please, anyone who can offer suggestions and brutal honesty about what towns are worth looking at and what towns aren't would be greatly appreciated. Any comments, suggestions, advice, etc., is needed!

Thank You,
Tara
As far as I'm concerned you just won the lottery if your husband has a good paying job in the most beautiful and wild part of the state Many folks who want to live in Sussex County end up paying for it with a grinding commute east on Route 80 every morning. My wife grew up in Hampton, which is nice-her parents are still there. She has a friend who has a 50 acre farm with a lot of woods in Stillwater. IMHO you really can't go wrong with any of the towns mentioned.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM

678 posts, read 787,020 times
We moved from Bergen county to Sandyston twp. many years ago. I mention this since you had seen a house you liked there. I thought Sandyston-Walpack consolidated was a great little school. Kittatinny Regional HS, into which Sandyston feeds its students does well. However Sandyston is the most rural township of those you asked about. There are pockets of developments around Kittatinny lake, in Layton, and Hainesville, but you can find some lonely, isolated areas as well - due to large swaths of government properties - Stokes forest, Delaware Water Gap national rec area limiting development (a good thing IMO). The area is beautiful...naturally.
Another thing to consider is the commuter traffic on US206. If you want to get to Lafayette in the morning, the road is packed with commuters from the Poconos heading for NYC.
The areas around Newton are certainly more built up, and offer more convenient access to shopping and services.
Good luck!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM

3,858 posts, read 9,186,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stokes View Post
We moved from Bergen county to Sandyston twp. many years ago. I mention this since you had seen a house you liked there. I thought Sandyston-Walpack consolidated was a great little school. Kittatinny Regional HS, into which Sandyston feeds its students does well. However Sandyston is the most rural township of those you asked about. There are pockets of developments around Kittatinny lake, in Layton, and Hainesville, but you can find some lonely, isolated areas as well - due to large swaths of government properties - Stokes forest, Delaware Water Gap national rec area limiting development (a good thing IMO). The area is beautiful...naturally.
Another thing to consider is the commuter traffic on US206. If you want to get to Lafayette in the morning, the road is packed with commuters from the Poconos heading for NYC.
The areas around Newton are certainly more built up, and offer more convenient access to shopping and services.
Good advice-my wife grew up in a small development in Hampton so there were kids, close neighbors, etc...Sussex County Community College and shopping in Newton was nearby, but Walpack, the Water Gap, Stokes, High Point, etc...was always a short ride away.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM

678 posts, read 787,020 times
Recently got back from a visit with the folks, and had a magical dinner at the Walpack Inn...the snow was coming down lightly, the deer were feeding, cozy inside, and the food - incredible. Mr. Heigis, the owner came by to chat, what an amazing person! Then there was the ice skating pulling my son on a sled on the lake. Pure Sussex county magic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey