Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 AM

271 posts, read 417,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Well it's likely better off than it was before. It's not like downtown JC is like Hoboken -- it's an older crowd with more sophisticated restaurants and bars.
sooo pretty much your saying its the hoboken crowd 5 years into the future ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

271 posts, read 417,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
what are you all proposing? to keep JC as grungy and ghetto as possible? you act like its a bad thing that people that actually work for living have moved into town. whats the problem here? something has to counteract all of the bums and low lifes that run the streets there. FYI i am the furthest thing from a yuppie.

the problem is that downtown jersey city is really just like a bedroom ( look at east side englewood ) most people are working in nyc and shopping and going to events there as well ... they boost the residential tax base which is great but for all those people who live downtown is surprising that downtown jersey city is dead at almost all hours of the day ... if they all live AAAAANNNNDDDDDD worked downtown then the effect would trickle down to the residents in the form of jobs ... all there doing is just outpricing the people who commited to jersey city ... the ones who stay when everyone else left for the burbs because they felt this was home ... now they cant afford it

Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 AM

75 posts, read 130,405 times
CF said:

"You're talking about a section of JC that is about half a square mile. You're gonna tell me that 85% of Jersey City is big beautiful high rise buildings? Have you ever actually driven around JC? I'm just gonna leave this one alone."
I think the OP just works near the river( Downtown JC ). Probably drives in on the Turnpike.
I HAVE to drive all around JC 24/7 for work. Let me tell you it is not called 'Dirty City" for nothing. I have been living/working in Hudson County since I was born 60's. I know all the areas, maybe the OP would like to go to Ocean Ave, might have a different view of JC. How I describe JC is Central Ave. I have seen it change all these years. Also one might say the same thing about Bergenline Ave. ( WNY - Union City ). Watched over the years whom live(s) there. Liked that area much better when the Cubans lived there, very hard working families. ( thus mostly Republican ).
But sure there are some nice areas. Keep on that block. Like traveling to Bermuda, stay in the resort, DO NOT walk out and into the regular town. I did years ago ( naive kid ), was rather surprised and thought my life was about to end.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's bigger than half a square mile--I work there, and so YES, I am there and drive through Jersey City every day. I can walk pretty far at lunchtime and still be in the nice, renovated areas. Half a square mile is just as silly as your fake statement about "85%" that you are trying to pin on me. Of course, anyone reading this thread knows I never said such a thing. Stop with that childish Internet forum tactic of trying to make it appear someone said something that they didn't, not playing.

I'll be the first to raise my hand and say there are very crappy areas of Jersey City. As a matter of fact, I specifically and clearly said that in the post to which you replied, didn't I?

AGAIN, the comparison between Hoboken and Jersey City is not that they are exactly the same, but that they both have waterfront areas that were renovated and rehabbed from their previous rundown lives.
That's great that you work there and what not but I have LIVED there and presently WORK there. The truth is the waterfront is indeed very nice and I too like to walk around there in the warmer months myself. Unfortunately anything south of Grove is just an over hyped crap hole. People hype it up like its soooo great because that's what they do to make themselves feel secure that they're not actually in NYC. Ever see how long businesses last around there? maybe........a year? It's a bunch of 99 cent stores and over priced apartments just because its close to a Path station. And truth be told I love JC , but I dont make it out to be something it's not just because some ray ban wearing transplant or some misplaced stroller mom think its the place to be now.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampo13 View Post
I really do think most of JC is more similar to Bayonne than to Hoboken. I live in Bayonne and the northern parts of Bayonne and the western 80% of JC are very similar to each other (except that Bayonne is safer). By the way Bayonne isn't all just repetitive houses, it has it's share of character and beautiful architecture too.
THANK YOU. And note this is coming from somebody living in Bayonne

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
sooo pretty much your saying its the hoboken crowd 5 years into the future ...
Much different social cultures. Hoboken is like a dirty Georgetown, Downtown JC is like a hipster section of Brooklyn.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Much different social cultures. Hoboken is like a dirty Georgetown, Downtown JC is like a hipster section of Brooklyn.
Have you ever been to the hipster areas of BK? Downtown while yes it has its fair share of Dbags is no where as bad as BK.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 PM

80 posts, read 345,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
CF said:

"You're talking about a section of JC that is about half a square mile. You're gonna tell me that 85% of Jersey City is big beautiful high rise buildings? Have you ever actually driven around JC? I'm just gonna leave this one alone."
I think the OP just works near the river( Downtown JC ). Probably drives in on the Turnpike.
I HAVE to drive all around JC 24/7 for work. Let me tell you it is not called 'Dirty City" for nothing. I have been living/working in Hudson County since I was born 60's. I know all the areas, maybe the OP would like to go to Ocean Ave, might have a different view of JC. How I describe JC is Central Ave. I have seen it change all these years. Also one might say the same thing about Bergenline Ave. ( WNY - Union City ). Watched over the years whom live(s) there. Liked that area much better when the Cubans lived there, very hard working families. ( thus mostly Republican ).
But sure there are some nice areas. Keep on that block. Like traveling to Bermuda, stay in the resort, DO NOT walk out and into the regular town. I did years ago ( naive kid ), was rather surprised and thought my life was about to end.
I been to Ocean ave in Jersey city not a good place i would hang out at night and UC was better with cubans especially coming from UC native but anyway UC is not that bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey