Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times

Advertisements

[quote=Capo1213;28048517] Morristown is dead for young singles.

This is absolutely false, or at the very least quite outdated. Morristown has a very active singles/club/bar scene and plenty of nightlife (concerts, galleries, lecture series, plays, etc.). While years ago this was not the case, the town has had quite a renaissance over the past ~6 years. I do agree with the previous posters that say JC, Weehawkin, or Hoboken are good options. Though Morristown is a great place to live, having to commute from there to JC five days a week tends to get wearing. I would also add regarding Hoboken, while it is a great place, you'd have to have a roommate for your budget, and get rid of your car - seriously parking is Hoboken is such a nightmare!

KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
My vote would be for Hoboken! I lived there from 2000-2006 when I was 22-28 years old and absolutely loved it. I still have friends and family that live there. Fun bars, restaurants and close to the city. I had roommates or the rent wouldn't have been manageable.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 AM

109 posts, read 122,348 times
Montclair or Morristown, especially the latter if you are in your 20s. Bars, bars, bars, restuarants, trees, friendly people, arts, yoga studios, running parks, dog friendly.....etc etc but not close to work

montclair, more edge, more city, closer to city but not as nice to walk around and not as much to do. If you ask me, its alot of boutiques, thrift stores, one good movie theater and a bunch of over-rated frenchie restaurants, not alot of people walk around because its just bloomfield ave where the action is, and not dowtown train station

hope that helps. I lived in morristown when i was 23/24 and LOVED it. Now i am 34 and its too yooung for me, but if i was married and had kids i still would like it there for all there is to do, fam or single. just hard to meet 30 types

Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM

386 posts, read 871,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If by yuppies, you mean cool young people who are professionals in NYC, or are going to Stevens and making themselves into smart young adults who will earn some nice bread and enjoy a decent lifestyle, then yes, lots of those in Hoboken. As far as traffic, it exists, but not so much for residents, many of whom will choose to forego owning a car, becuase living in Hoboken, they don't need one.
Yuppies are most certainly not "cool young people" lol. People around my age hate them, for good reason.

Stevens is a great school, not denying that, but going to a great school doesn't guarantee a good life or a lot of money.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM

75 posts, read 130,296 times
NC,
Look on craigs, there are lot's of people looking to share a condo/apt. in Hoboken. That is the party town and PATH so you can just jump into NYC. See how you like it, then you can get a feeling from your co-workers all about the different towns. Hey one of them just might live in the suburbs and need a roomie.
Welcome to NJ.
I am hoping/looking to move to TN.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Yuppies are most certainly not "cool young people" lol. People around my age hate them, for good reason.

Stevens is a great school, not denying that, but going to a great school doesn't guarantee a good life or a lot of money.
The only people who would waste the time and energy to hate "young, upwardly mobile professionals" would be their contemporaries who are envious of them, those who are locked into their own incompetence and futility by virtue of their own laziness and lack of talent and drive. Am I right?

In the American Age of Envy in which we live, I am right. Only too damned right.

Anyway... A degree from a great school guarantees this: You met the qualifications and passed all the tests to attain something that is not trivially easy: A 4-year degree. What happens beyond that as far as job prospects and fulfillment of life dreams is a separate topic. But, like an Oscar or a Super Bowl Trophy, a degree is something they can't take away from you. It is an achievement and something to be proud of in and of itself, and for itself.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
The only people who would waste the time and energy to hate "young, upwardly mobile professionals" would be their contemporaries who are envious of them, those who are locked into their own incompetence and futility by virtue of their own laziness and lack of talent and drive. Am I right?
No. There's also those of us who think they're obnoxious d-bags. Socially among themselves they still act like the frat party is the ideal to aspire to; among others they affect a haughty and superior demeanor; professionally they alternate between butt-kissing and back-stabbing in their quest for "upward mobility".

Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No. There's also those of us who think they're obnoxious d-bags. Socially among themselves they still act like the frat party is the ideal to aspire to; among others they affect a haughty and superior demeanor; professionally they alternate between butt-kissing and back-stabbing in their quest for "upward mobility".
Yeah right, not buying it for a minute, I know it's sheer unbridled Kelly green jealousy and so do you.

But back to the topic. The OP might be able to find a studio apartment for his budget in Hoboken that he will not have to share with a roommate. They do exist but you have to look around. Just have to be careful about living in a "ground floor" apartment. Many studios and efficiencies are ground floor units. They can flood, as we recently saw. If the OP wants to try that approach stay with midtown or uptown buildings and check the flood maps before signing a lease.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Yeah right, not buying it for a minute, I know it's sheer unbridled Kelly green jealousy and so do you.
I'm too old and successful to be jealous of them, Marc.

Anyway, clearly the best choices for the OP are Hoboken or downtown J.C. (not Newport), but that budget is going to make it tough without a roommate.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
^^^That's the only real reason I said Rutherford. I was looking at the OP's budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey