Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,637,563 times

Advertisements

The state doesn't take action. If insurance is canceled when the vehicle is no longer owned, the NJ DMV is notified. In some cases they will request proof of either insurance or the fact the vehicle is not longer on the road with those plates.

Simply not turning in plates won't trigger this. Using the plates in a new car purchase in March should not cause any issues. As stated, retain all the documentation from the plates along with the renewal. This assumes in both case you own the vehicle. In the past leased vehicles created some issues.

Turning in old plates is smart as they can't be used by anyone else. If lost and used, You will spend a inordinate amount of time trying to clear up any violations used with the plates not to mention the possible costs involved. DMV or any state operated inspection station will accept the plates, regardless of how old, and issue a receipt for them.If they hold no special meaning, get rid of them at the dmv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 36,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The state doesn't take action. If insurance is canceled when the vehicle is no longer owned, the NJ DMV is notified. In some cases they will request proof of either insurance or the fact the vehicle is not longer on the road with those plates.

Simply not turning in plates won't trigger this. Using the plates in a new car purchase in March should not cause any issues. As stated, retain all the documentation from the plates along with the renewal. This assumes in both case you own the vehicle. In the past leased vehicles created some issues.

Turning in old plates is smart as they can't be used by anyone else. If lost and used, You will spend a inordinate amount of time trying to clear up any violations used with the plates not to mention the possible costs involved. DMV or any state operated inspection station will accept the plates, regardless of how old, and issue a receipt for them.If they hold no special meaning, get rid of them at the dmv.
Well they do hold meaning as they r personalized with my first name. I wanna keep them for my new car.

I'm just gonna hold on to them and pray that no one with my name applies for similar license plates. I'll just take them to the dealership when i go for new car in March and hand over to them to put em on my new car.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,637,563 times
Quote:
I'm just gonna hold on to them and pray that no one with my name applies for similar license plates
They would not be available for reissue for quite some time. A few weeks will not matter. It will remain in the state's database (as expired) and not be available to another owner unless your approval was given.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,473,541 times
The issue related to license suspension has nothing to do with failing to turn-in the plates per se and doesn't have anything to do with 9/11. Several years ago NJ began requiring insurance companies to notify the state of any cancellations or lapses in insurance coverage. Many states, including NY have long had this provision. That information is then cross-referenced with their database looking for cars that are still legally registered, but do not have current insurance. It will only turn up a hit if the registration is still current and valid. So, if the registration lapsed and you didn't renew it, it will not turn up any hits.

If a hit turns up, they send a notice to the registered owner giving them 30-days to reinstate/prove their insurance coverage or provide proof the vehicle is no longer on the road. Failing to comply with that letter results in a license suspension. The suspension is not for "failing to turn-in the plates" but for "failure to properly insure the vehicle". The best way to avoid this possible headache is of course to turn-in the plates when you sell the vehicle. However, there is nothing that says you can't keep the plates, though they really want you to turn them in. The reason for the turn-in is so that they can recycle the physical plate and re-use the number on new plates.

So, what do you do if you want to keep the plates...

If you intend to transfer them as the OP is doing, just hold onto them and then file the appropriate transfer paperwork. As long as the registered owner of the old and new vehicle is the same, this is no problem. If it was going to be a long time before the transfer took place, you may find yourself having to prove that the original car was sold and then state your intent to transfer in the future if the database turns up a hit.

If you want to keep the plates for sentimental reasons and will never use them again, simply report them lost. You fill out a letter with the pertinent details including the plate number. You can simply say that you sold/disposed of the vehicle the plates were registered to and then misplaced them. There is no fee for reporting plates as lost. The MVC will update the status in their system and you won't get any hits on the insurance database comparison.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM

116 posts, read 237,655 times
I believe if you cancel insurance on your vehicle you have to return the plates. That's what I had to do, hoping I can get new plates in August when I renew my RV for fall excursions!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,295,659 times
Had this exact circumstance happen to me:
Vehicle destroyed in June 2011. Insurance settled. Vehicle sold for salvage. I retained custom plates.
Took me a year to find the replacement vehicle I wanted. Registered replacement vehicle with my old custom plates in June 2012. (However, I had to pay registration fees from the initial expiration date in September 2011. Was worth it to me because I wanted to keep my old plates!)
Advice: Go to a 'less busy' MVC office.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,672,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

If you want to keep the plates for sentimental reasons and will never use them again, simply report them lost. You fill out a letter with the pertinent details including the plate number. You can simply say that you sold/disposed of the vehicle the plates were registered to and then misplaced them. There is no fee for reporting plates as lost. The MVC will update the status in their system and you won't get any hits on the insurance database comparison.
I will do that to protect myself if God forbid anyone ever got their hands on them.

Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey