Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
As a well known attorney who handles firearm's cases told me, under the best of circumstances, the going rate is 35K when she is called.
That is because the authorities (prosecutors, politicians, cops) hate almost nothing more than a civilian who uses a firearm in self defense. They'll prosecute such a case harder than just about anything, aside from a child molester or cop killer, no matter how obvious it is that the criminal who got shot was exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That is because the authorities (prosecutors, politicians, cops) hate almost nothing more than a civilian who uses a firearm in self defense. They'll prosecute such a case harder than just about anything, aside from a child molester or cop killer, no matter how obvious it is that the criminal who got shot was exactly that.
Anyone who has read my posts on this forum knows that I'm a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, Right to Carry, and home defense, but do you internet Rambos realize that the OP is talking about a burglary that happened when he or she was not home? Hell they just caught two yo-yos up here in Hunterdon/Warren who were walking into unlocked homes during the day when the occupants were at work and walking out with everything from guns and jewelry to prescription drugs and cash. In terms of safeguarding your home when you're NOT there (which is when something like this is most likely to happen) I believe that a dog is probably the most effective. It doesn't have to be a large or menacing dog either. Someone looking to burglarize a home is looking for an easy opportunity. If they approach a house and a dog starts barking, they'll probably just move on to the first one they find with no dog. Less noise, less hassle, less opportunity for something to go wrong. I worry more about break-ins when we are away from the house with the dog (ie: an extended visit or vacation somewhere) than when we leave him home.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Anyone who has read my posts on this forum knows that I'm a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, Right to Carry, and home defense, but do you internet Rambos realize that the OP is talking about a burglary that happened when he or she was not home? Hell they just caught two yo-yos up here in Hunterdon/Warren who were walking into unlocked homes during the day when the occupants were at work and walking out with everything from guns and jewelry to prescription drugs and cash. In terms of safeguarding your home when you're NOT there (which is when something like this is most likely to happen) I believe that a dog is probably the most effective. It doesn't have to be a large or menacing dog either. Someone looking to burglarize a home is looking for an easy opportunity. If they approach a house and a dog starts barking, they'll probably just move on to the first one they find with no dog. Less noise, less hassle, less opportunity for something to go wrong. I worry more about break-ins when we are away from the house with the dog (ie: an extended visit or vacation somewhere) than when we leave him home.
i agree the dog is a great tool for home security. i believe i mentioned that.

i think the gun comes into the discussion partly because a break in is much more significant when people are at home. what i stand to lose when nobody is home isnt really that big of a deal to me.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i agree the dog is a great tool for home security. i believe i mentioned that.
Wasn't so much directing my comments at you-rather the posters who were talking about shooting an intruder and then theorizing how to dispose of the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think the gun comes into the discussion partly because a break in is much more significant when people are at home. what i stand to lose when nobody is home isnt really that big of a deal to me.
I agree that the stakes are much higher in that case, but again, the OP's point was about safeguarding your home when you're NOT there. Insurance can replace whatever you lose in a burglary of course, but some of the "things" we own that have monetary value (such as guns and jewelry) have a lot of sentimental value as well. My great grandfather's Fox Sterlingworth double barrel 12 gauge is insured, but in reality it's irreplaceable. It's well hidden and locked up, but if I'm not there I can't be 100% sure that someone couldn't get their hands on it.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
They'll prosecute such a case harder
One again you show how clueless you are in this subject. Why not quote references to your comment? Doubt you can because they don't exist. Yet you seem to forget that earlier a statement was made to contact an attorney. A wish move yet you seem to think they work for free. the clock starts ticking when you make the call. So how long does it take at 325 an hour to hit that 35K level?

You also seem to forget the inevitable civil case. Doubt you realize that in those cases, the first step by the plaintiff's attorney is to freeze all assets. So I'd suggest that before making yet another uninformed comment, you may want to actually learn something about the topic form experts in their field.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM

28 posts, read 77,332 times
Sorry for your loss of personal security (material things can be replaced). Not much worse then feeling vulnerable in your own home. It will change your mindset forever to a certain degree.

I was burglarized when living in GA, and it changed me. Also had two cars stolen in NJ. Needless to say our house and car doors are always locked (even the cars in the garage) and I pull the key from the quad. Over the years I've had an ADT type security alarm system in one home, but it was more of a PITA than anything for several reasons. IMO, the best deterrent one can have are big, mean-looking dogs (if your situation allows). In addition to dogs, stand-alone alarms/glass breaks/motion detectors (not hooked-up to ADT type monitoring), cameras (hide the recorder), guns (+ training) and a printout of the NJ Castle laws (which should be read before-hand).

Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 77,332 times
Badfish740
[/quote]I agree that the stakes are much higher in that case, but again, the OP's point was about safeguarding your home when you're NOT there. Insurance can replace whatever you lose in a burglary of course, but some of the "things" we own that have monetary value (such as guns and jewelry) have a lot of sentimental value as well. My great grandfather's Fox Sterlingworth double barrel 12 gauge is insured, but in reality it's irreplaceable. It's well hidden and locked up, but if I'm not there I can't be 100% sure that someone couldn't get their hands on it.[/quote]

High Bridge...that's my neck of the woods.

I'm not sure that anything can ensure 100% safety from the types of property loss you mentioned, but a big, heavy safe is a good start. The manufacturer I went with is Fort Knox (gotta love the name), and they have different safes for different budgets. I didn't get the best, but more then needed. Been procrastinating on bolting it to the floor (weighs 1800lbs empty so I don't feel that it's going to just walk), but my goal was to make it time consuming for someone to get into. If they had patience and a plasma cutter handy they may have a shot, but chances are I'll be home soon or my neighbors will hear you and pick up the phone. However, where there's a will there's a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey