Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM

64 posts, read 186,457 times

Advertisements

Is this a reasonable commute distance (morning drive) from the Upper Saddle River area to Parsippany? And is there any negligible difference in the communities of Upper SR & SR? We are relocating to NJ in a couple of months from the west coast.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Not too bad of a drive... probably about 45-50 minutes depending on exact locations (Parsiappany is pretty spread out) and departure time. Are youlocked into Upper/ Saddle River? Because there are some great towns a lot closer.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM

34 posts, read 57,717 times
It will be about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much traffic there is. Rush hour, could be even a tad bit longer!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Is this a reasonable commute distance (morning drive) from the Upper Saddle River area to Parsippany? And is there any negligible difference in the communities of Upper SR & SR? We are relocating to NJ in a couple of months from the west coast.... Thanks!

There are two main routes from the Upper Saddle River area to Parsippany, you could head west/northwest through Ramsey and/or Mahwah to 287 and then head south to Parsippany, (then to where ever within Parsippany the office is, as Parsippany is huge) or from USR head South and take either 17 or the Parkway, (personally, I'd rather slit my wrists than take either 17 or the GSP during rush hour every day.) During normal rush hours the trip via 287 will take around an hour, if your office is located near the 287/80 intersection. Of course if there is weather or an accident, it will take longer. If your office is closer to Rte 10, the commute will be over an hour. You'll find the traffic in NNJ to be quite similar to that which you have experienced in the OC/LA area. A good general rule of thumb is to take whatever the time that mapquest/googlemaps indicate, multiply it by 2 and add 10% to get a more realistic estimate.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
Some good info here. I am near USR/SR and I have an office in Parsippany, which overlooks 287. Now, I take 287 most of the time. If I am coming from Paramus, I'd take the GSP (south to 80, and then 80 to 287). There are "traffic spots" you will hit along the way -- like the KoalaNJ said -- the 287/80 intersection. There could be traffic in certain spots all the time. Just the way it is.

Like others said, I would say if you are looking at normal rush hour, normal ETA in Parsippany -- then, depending on where in Parsippany, you are looking at an hour.

As far as USR/SR -- depending on price range, and other things, there could be some differences. Both are very nice communities. SR is perceived to be more of an "affluent" or "wealthy" community. However, that's very generic. You can take a beautiful, expensive, modern home in USR, and it could be more attractive, desirable, etc. than a home in SR. It's case by case, and specific.

SR is an "older" town and I would think has fewer "young people" and children. The homes for the most part are probably larger/bigger. SR is perceived to have "low taxes" (and that could be a very relative term). I would suggest that you look at the real estate taxes on a case by case basis. There are more single family homes in USR and I am sure the low end price point in USR is lower than SR.

It is a great area and a great place to live. Good luck and all the best.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Living in Waldwick I used to go through Wyckoff to 208 to 287. Most days it was 40-45 mins.

SR & USR are big bucks towns, especially SR. No real "town" to speak of, just nice houses & estates on large plots.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info all! Have knocked USR area off our list....we were just curious about the area & our questions were answered.....

Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Thanks for the info all! Have knocked USR area off our list....we were just curious about the area & our questions were answered.....
Is that too far a commute? What time do you and/or your spouse have to be in Parsippany?

What's the negative for USR for you? Thanks.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Yes that's a bit too far of a commute...report time in Parsippany is around 8am....tough traffic times. Also, from what I have learned, there is no train station in either SR or USR.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Got it. Thanks. If your ETA is 8am, you will miss a good portion of the traffic. You'll hit the 287/80 intersection around 730am-745am. It shouldn't be that bad as most of the people going to Morristown (further south than Parsippany) won't be there around that time. Of course this is just conjecture and it could be hit or miss. I take 287 from the end (Mahwah) to Parsippany very often. I also take Rt. 17S to the GSP to 80W to 287. For ETA in Parsippany of 8am, I don't hit a lot of traffic. The trip is under an hour, but it certainly could be.

As far as a train station -- there used to be train station in SR, but I don't think it's open/functional any longer. I don't know enough about this. I don't know if there's one in USR -- but there is a train station in the next town over, Ho-Ho-Kus. There might be one in Waldwick as well (also the next town over). I am not sure, so you'll have to check. However, there is a train station in Woodcliff Lake (the next town over (east) from SR) and Montvale. Is there a train station in Allendale?

Now, one thing -- I have no idea where any of these train stations go and don't go. LOL. Sorry, wish I could be of more help. Maybe you should think about Franklin Lakes. Very nice, upscale town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey