U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,565 times

Advertisements

I have just started a new job in Randolph, and would like to buy a house in mount olive, budd lake, or any really good town near Randolph. I did find a nice, new house right across from the lake, can anyone let me know specifics about the area. Anything will be helpful, scared to make the wrong move. I don't know anything about this area. I do have 2 kids that will be going to the schools. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:29 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,050,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi112 View Post
I have just started a new job in Randolph, and would like to buy a house in mount olive, budd lake, or any really good town near Randolph. I did find a nice, new house right across from the lake, can anyone let me know specifics about the area. Anything will be helpful, scared to make the wrong move. I don't know anything about this area. I do have 2 kids that will be going to the schools. Thanks.
not a huge fan of budd lake. taxes are high for the schools you get (elementary is fine, middle school is new, HS isn't so hot). i think flanders (also part of mt. olive) is better of the two, but you're still dealing with average schools. budd lake, in the area you're looking, is near some apartment complexes that have their share of crime (it's not *unsafe*, but when you do hear about crime in that area, it's always there).

what is your budget? long valley is a *much* better choice (next town over from budd lake), taxes are lower (housing is probably the same) and schools are infinitely better. you're a tad further from randolph, but that commute is really easy. IMHO, long valley is still an undiscovered treasure in the area.

eta: i lived in mt olive for 5 years but left when we started a family b/c of the schools. again, we're not talking newark-quality - but the "tax to education" ratio was not acceptable to me.

Last edited by tahiti; 10-22-2007 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,565 times
You are right, the taxes are very high for the house I am interested in. The house is located on sand shore road, heard of it? The house is gorgeous and sits on 2 acres of land, any suggestions because I loved the house but not so sure of the area. My max price is $475,000, I will take a look at flanders and long valley. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,050,120 times
Quote:
You are right, the taxes are very high for the house I am interested in. The house is located on sand shore road, heard of it? The house is gorgeous and sits on 2 acres of land, any suggestions because I loved the house but not so sure of the area. My max price is $475,000, I will take a look at flanders and long valley. Thanks.
yes, i know the road! as you know, it's the main drag around the lake so traffic will be heavier on that street than others. i do have to amend an earlier statement I said about the apartments and crime. when you said "across from the lake" I thought you meant across Rt 46, which, if the house is on sand shore, is not. so, disregard what I said about you being near those apartments and any crime spillover

remember, flanders feeds into the middle and HS that budd lake does, but aethetically I prefer it over budd lake, and it's closer to work for you. i still think you should check long valley (btw - in your search, it's washington township MORRIS county) - here a house sample in your range (not new, but a good size, and i can almost guarantee the taxes are lower):

Error (http://new.gsmls.com/public/detailLst.do?mlsNum=2409707 - broken link)

good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,494,292 times
Quote:
I wouldn't do Budd Lake with 2 kids. Schools are OK but taxes are very high for the type of education you would get. I agree with Tahiti that Long Valley would be a better choice. You might also check out Denville. You will get less house for your money but it's a great town.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM

7,175 posts, read 11,209,096 times
Quote:
Long Valley and Randolph do have better schools, but you will not find anything comparable to the house on Sandshore in Budd Lake for $475 there. You could find something comparable in Hackettstown or Independence for that price, but again, the school systems are sub par.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>