U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM

69 posts, read 185,926 times

Advertisements

Mostly just out of curiosity, but what are your opinions of the Red Bank and Middletown areas? From what I've read online, they seem to be nice - though expensive - areas. But I'm curious about what the locals think of the areas, since all I've read are Wikipedia-type pages on the cities.

Would you recommend those areas to a family of 4? How are the beaches? Weather? Are there a lot of health food stores / organic foods?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM

70,969 posts, read 66,709,923 times
Middletown is a huge township made up of 7 or 9 different areas, and they vary in price from multi-million-dollar homes in the Navesink section, where Jon Bon Jovi lives, to small, crowded former summer bungalows in the blue-collar North Middletown area, parts of which got whacked by Sandy. There are a lot of other ranges in between--60s-style split levels in the middle-class New Monmouth area, newer big homes in Lincroft, etc.

Red Bank is a much smaller town that has some areas that are wealthy, some middle-class, and a section that is lower income.

Red Bank's on the Navesink River (and so is the Navesink section of Middletown on the other side), Middletown partly borders the Raritan Bay. Neither are on the ocean, but both are short drives from ocean beaches. The weather is the weather. I'm not far from Red Bank. Today it's sunny and will hit the 50s. Tomorrow it will be in the 30s and might snow. Sunday it will be windy and in the 20s. Eventually it will get warm and things will grow and the beaches and pools will be open.

Either town is fine for a family of four. There are numerous families of four living there already. They have all the sports and other normal family activities one would find in any suburban Jersey town. Some people squabble over the Middletown high schools--M North v. M South. South is supposed to be so much better--I always suspected it's just because the South high school has more of the affluent parts of town in it. I have friends whose kids went to North. They can read and write and do arithmetic and even graduated from real colleges and got real jobs.

Middletown has a Whole Foods. Red Bank has Dean's, an organic market. Shrewsbury, just past Red Bank, has a Trader Joe's. Wegman's is a little further down in Ocean. There are probably others I don't know about, and there are farmer's markets in the summer. Middletown still has a small farm or two, and it's not a far drive to other farms and markets from either town.

Red Bank is different from Middletown in that it has a real walkable downtown with lots of restaurants, independent shops, and small theaters like Count Basie that get big-name entertainment. Middletown is more spread out, and as noted, huge in area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey