Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,381 times

Advertisements

Good evening to everyone,
I live in West New York,NJ and I am desperate to move to Jewish community. I am looking for big communities, at least where I can find everything around, since i don't have a car and I am a single Mon everything is harder for me; please guys help me, any Jewish community close to West New york?
besides Teaneck and Inglewood, I don't want ot move too far.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chany06 View Post
I live in West New York,NJ and I am desperate to move to Jewish community. I am looking for big communities, at least where I can find everything around, since i don't have a car and I am a single Mon everything is harder for me; please guys help me, any Jewish community close to West New york?
Thanks
i was going to say teaneck, which really isn't that far from WNY (10 miles or so?). if you need an eruv that's the closest you're going to get.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
Thanks
I don't know your price range, however, I would look at Fort Lee. There are numerous temples/synagogues and the town is not very big (size) at all. There's a few shuttles that go around town as well, but I am not 100% certain. It's certainly not as concentrated as sections of Teaneck, but there is a nice population of Jewish people there. There's also a good amount of people who send their children to Solomon Schecter (although I am not sure what impact the recent Teaneck closing will have).

I don't know where else you'd want to look if Teaneck and Englewood are off the list. Further north would be Tenafly (home of the JCC on the Palisades), Demarest, Cresskill, and others -- all every expensive (again, I don't know your price range) and further than "not too far" I would think. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,381 times
Thanks guys, well, i have a couple of problems, my price range is around $ 1200, I can't find any apt with 2 bedrooms with that price, that's why i am asking for help, this town(W.N.Y) is a disaster! thank you again.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys, well, i have a couple of problems, my price range is around $ 1200, I can't find any apt with 2 bedrooms with that price, that's why i am asking for help, this town(W.N.Y) is a disaster! thank you again.
$1200 might be very tough. I never like to say impossible, but very tough. Cliffside Park is the town right next door to Fort Lee, and Fairview borders Cliffside Park. You might, just might be able to find something in a private home (a 1BR deluxe or something of the like). I am not an expert on the current rental market. You might also want to check out the section of Fort Lee that's north of the GWB, even north of the high-school. Also, there is a co-op development behind the Linwood Shopping Center (Kings/Staples/etc.) called Linwood Park. I don't know if they currently rent, but you should check there. Some people say it looks a bit dreary from the outside, but I would check it out. Even some of the buildings that are considered "lower end" in Fort Lee, are nice. See if the Half-Moon House (on Hudson Terrace) has rentals. They might be affordable.

You might have to spend a bit more. I don't know if that's possible, but if it is, it would be worth it. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 AM

56 posts, read 290,678 times
Default Jewish Communities

It depends on what you mean by Jewish community? Are you observant of the Sabbath and need to be within walking distance to temple? Is a conservative community the ideal? Do you want to be close to kosher butchers, restaurants, etc? There are communities that have higher population of Jewish people; singles, couples, families but they do vary. Some are more conservative, some have reformed synogogues. Overall, if you want another alternative, consider West Orange. It has a large Jewish community, observant mostly, although there are many people there that are less so but for family reasons, live there. If you will drive on the Sabbath, there are also several other temples in the immediate 10 minute drive from West Orange including Livingston (another town to consider), Montclair, Verona. West Orange does serve as a hub for many of these towns in terms of where people shop, attend services, etc. Good luck! Elaine

Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep4property View Post
It depends on what you mean by Jewish community? Are you observant of the Sabbath and need to be within walking distance to temple? Is a conservative community the ideal? Do you want to be close to kosher butchers, restaurants, etc? There are communities that have higher population of Jewish people; singles, couples, families but they do vary. Some are more conservative, some have reformed synogogues. Overall, if you want another alternative, consider West Orange. It has a large Jewish community, observant mostly, although there are many people there that are less so but for family reasons, live there. If you will drive on the Sabbath, there are also several other temples in the immediate 10 minute drive from West Orange including Livingston (another town to consider), Montclair, Verona. West Orange does serve as a hub for many of these towns in terms of where people shop, attend services, etc. Good luck! Elaine
I also recommend Livingston. Even the border of West Orange/Livingston might due, though, the county is a little closer to NYC.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM

How far is "not too far" to move? Not to pry, but is there a reason you don't want to move too far? Also, I think you need to be very aware of where you are moving due to not having a car. That's why, perhaps, something more "city" like might be better, offer more, and be easier. Just my take.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Although Livingston has a large Jewish population, it wouldn't be a good choice for you because there are no apartments for people with children. The town has only 2 apartment buildings, and they are both for people over 55 years old. On top of that, you couldnt even get a 1 bedroom for $1200 in either of those buildings. West Orange may have what you are looking for, and it is only 10 minutes away from Livingston.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 35,068 times
Would you consider Cherry Hill in Camden County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey