Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yes, you believe that because you assume the government can do no wrong.

He didn't have his insurance card. The law does not provide for an immediate impound in that case, but provides the violator 24 hours to produce said card. The driver violated the law, and you're all up in arms about that. The State then violated it's own law, but you're OK with that.

The driver will end up paying several penalties for his violation of the law -- not only was he kicked to the curb, he will have to pay for towing and minimum of 2 days of storage, and he'll either have to pay the ticket or take a day off and plead with the judge for leniency (which may not be granted) and still pay costs.

The State will pay nothing for its violation of the law.
We're not okay with the law breaking the law....many of us feel he is leaving out something. I don't believe they towed the car on the spot for not having an insurance card unless there were prior infractions, more than 24 hours passed, or he was a total jacka** and said/did something to escalate the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM

607 posts, read 958,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We're not okay with the law breaking the law....many of us feel he is leaving out something. I don't believe they towed the car on the spot for not having an insurance card unless there were prior infractions, more than 24 hours passed, or he was a total jacka** and said/did something to escalate the situation.
Agreed - but since that doesn't fit the anti-government arguments that is ignored so that only the cops are blamed

Why admit your own mistakes if you can create a scapegoat to pin the blame on and make yourself feel better?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
What's with you people? Why is there so much skepticism as to why his story isn't true? I don't understand why so many people on this forum are pro-cop. The OP is right, NJ is turning into a police state and cops for the most part in this state are total dicks.
We are not pro cop just anti BS
Story has a hole the size of the Pacific Ocean in it...SOMETHING else comes into play as most of us have never heard of them impounding your car on spot, give you 24 hours to produce and since o/p has not been back to clarify ?????

Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
But I thought that only people who "looked hispanic" were asked to "show me your papers!"?

I was pulled over once because my registration was past due (I had totally forgotten about it). They ran my tag as I drove past. (freaked me out!)

My wife had to go online and renew it while the trooper waited. Within 15 minutes, it was settled.

Drive legal....big brother is watching!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
had to go online and renew it while the trooper waited.
Gotta love these new advancements.

Quote:
give you 24 hours to produce
To be accurate, that applies to NJS 39:3-29 only. It does not apply to NJS 39:6B-2.

But the entire was thin as the reason for the stop was never stated. The driver's record could have had several suspensions for failure to maintain insurance. In that case, they will not get the benefit of the doubt that they simply "forgot their card".

With today's technology, there is zero reason not to have a card. I can see forgetting one's wallet and not having a dl or reg. But they are a span to check online. With today's new digtal licenses the picture is displayed unlike years back when fraudulent use of licenses was common.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah he had his registration card--he didn't have his insurance card. Try to keep up

You cannot get a registration card without proof of insurance so the cop was a d*ck!
One again you prove how ignorant you really are.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But you have no evidence for any of that except a belief that the State will do no wrong. In any case, neither prior infractions nor being a jacka** justifies an impoundment.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Quote:
But you have no evidence for any of that except a belief that the State will do no wrong. In any case, neither prior infractions nor being a jacka** justifies an impoundment.
Exactly!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
To be accurate, that applies to NJS 39:3-29 only. It does not apply to NJS 39:6B-2.
That is because NJS 39:6B has no impoundment provision at all.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
I don't have a belief that the state would do no wrong, not sure why you think that. But if the law is so clear that you have 24 hours to provide proof of insurance, what on earth would he have written on the impoundment order? He couldn't write "no insurance card" if the law is clear that you have 24 hours. Also the OP hasn't been back to answer any questions, so all combined leads me to believe he's leaving out some major detail. No evidence, though, sorry about that. I just don't think a cop would do something that is so easily provable that he is disregarding the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey