Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

Definitely Maplewood/South Orange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have no love for hippies, but granola is a delicious snack. its a shame that its associated with them.

i have to say that im getting a kick out of some of the openly anti-hippy sentiment in this thread. we all have our own prejudices and i always am given a hard time for my opinions, but most people out there are even more opinionated than i am. they just dont express it as well as i do.
No problem with Hippy towns with me. I just think Hippy and Blue Collar clash and therefore hippy downs don't pan out in NJ.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,018 times
We have a few true hippies here. Not a lot. A lot of former hippies that sold out to the man and went to law school, but still hang to some aspect of the culture. Probably more hipsters now than hippies. There used to be a much stronger conservative presence in Montclair. We do have the first medicinal marijuana dispensary, housed in what was once the local head shop. You have a better chance of scoring from your neighbor driving the new Range Rover. You'd feel comfortable here and find your peer group, just as many different types of people do.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
We have a few true hippies here. Not a lot. A lot of former hippies that sold out to the man and went to law school, but still hang to some aspect of the culture. Probably more hipsters now than hippies. There used to be a much stronger conservative presence in Montclair. We do have the first medicinal marijuana dispensary, housed in what was once the local head shop. You have a better chance of scoring from your neighbor driving the new Range Rover. You'd feel comfortable here and find your peer group, just as many different types of people do.
ROFL, I didn't know that part.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times
I would mention Nyack, NY, definitely. It's not NJ but it's close.

Also, if it helps, Matawan And Keyport have a few bong shops (head shops?) for whatever reason. I always thought it was weird they're there, but there they are.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times
How about that development that Broadway director is trying to build in Jackson? He has commercials on the TV. They have a section of townhouses just for artists.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM

386 posts, read 871,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
How about that development that Broadway director is trying to build in Jackson? He has commercials on the TV. They have a section of townhouses just for artists.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,310 times
Default Great place for artisans to retire cheap

We have found a little jewel of a town just south of Dallas on Cedar Creek Lake. The old right wingers are dying off and the area is cheap to live. Our new mayor in "Gun Barrel City" is progressive thinking and in support of an artisan "walk about" area. We have two residential streets that are waterfront to the lake and are perfect for this conversion. We have a vision of converting existing homes into coffee shops, galleries, book stores, etc. Installation of walking paths, vintage lighting, benches, etc. was part of the initial discussion the city would provide. We just need the folks to join the movement to bring this resort area into the new millennium. Once you get past the old stereotypes of East Texas, what you find is people from all walks of life either as fulltime or weekend residents. Area is integrated, large LBG population. Majority of population is between 40 yr - 80 yrs. Lots of acreage available cheap. Home range from fixer uppers under $50K to waterfront mini mansions to $300K. Two wineries nearby. Weather has all four seasons with hot summers. Perfect place for all of us old hippies to retire. Come join us and help mold the progress of our beautiful little town. Contact if interested. This area is prime for revitalization and city is in support of positive growth.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:07 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Great story bro. Thanks for digging up a two year old thread to mention nothing about New Jersey.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 AM

192 posts, read 248,609 times
Please keep your 'hippie' vegan asses out of NJ. We don't want to become the new Williamsburg. I'll take my tabouli, biscon and gnocci over a $6 latte any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey