Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,986 times

Advertisements

Hi all-I'm looking for towns with somewhat of a jewish population. Reform/Conservative. I like diversity, but don't want my children to be the only Jewish students at their school. Also looking for JCCs and temples in the area. Mostly considering Morris, Somerset, Passaic, Middlesex, and Essex counties.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM

131 posts, read 273,994 times
I can only speak from my recent experience. We bought a house in Livingston, NJ and it has lots of temples, YCC, kosher stores....lots of doctors and other professionals live here. I would think Morris township would be fine too. I don't know about other areas. By the way I'm not Jewish and a little nervous about moving into an area w such a high proportion of Jews (fea they will **** me and my biracial family out),

But I just loved all the stores in Livingston and the educational system, a solid 9 on greatschools. Tenafly NJ also has a large proportion of Jews.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
East Brunswick has a sizeable Jewish population in the Ryders Lane/Dunham's Corner Rd. section of town.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times
Bridgewater NJ, in somerset county. there is a temple and a JCC. Bridgewater is a huge, extremely diverse town, with a decent jewish population. The only parts of Bridgewater with no jews are the bradley gardens section, and the finderne section (working class neighborhoods). The jewish neighborhoods in BR can be expensive though.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 PM

91 posts, read 375,844 times
Also in Essex County, parts of West Orange.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Bridgewater NJ, in somerset county. there is a temple and a JCC. Bridgewater is a huge, extremely diverse town, with a decent jewish population. The only parts of Bridgewater with no jews are the bradley gardens section, and the finderne section (working class neighborhoods). The jewish neighborhoods in BR can be expensive though.
Warren also has a large Jewish population. Less diverse town otherwise, which you may find good or bad. (~85% Non-hispanic white, 10% Asian), while Bridgewater is closer to 20% Asian. Bridgewater's high school also becomes a bit more diverse than that because it's combined with the more working-class Raritan. Warren's high school is combined with 3 other mostly white and mostly well-off towns.

Warren has a Reform temple, while Bridgewater's is a Conservative one, although both towns are close enough that I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter which one you live in either way. That said, if you want your kids to be seeing the same people there that they do at school, most people go to the one within their town.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Warren also has a large Jewish population. Less diverse town otherwise, which you may find good or bad. (~85% Non-hispanic white, 10% Asian), while Bridgewater is closer to 20% Asian. Bridgewater's high school also becomes a bit more diverse than that because it's combined with the more working-class Raritan. Warren's high school is combined with 3 other mostly white and mostly well-off towns.

Warren has a Reform temple, while Bridgewater's is a Conservative one, although both towns are close enough that I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter which one you live in either way. That said, if you want your kids to be seeing the same people there that they do at school, most people go to the one within their town.
I'd argue that Bridgewater actually has more diversity than Raritan. the racial make up is similar (percentage wise) except Raritan has a higher percentage of Hispanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Jews in Bridgewater are spread out throughout the town so there is no "Jewish neigherborhood"

Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Paterson.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Highland Park, East Brunswick, North Brunswick all have active Temples but a lot of diversity.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Highland Park is known for its large Jewish presence. Expensive though. The south side is usually more affordable, but the homes on that side of town are rather small. It is more pedestrian friendly than your average suburb in this area and has a nice main street. Beyond that, 90% of the synagogues in this area are in East Brunswick and North Brunswick, which are more of your typical quintessential car-dependent suburbs. All of them have good school systems and a good amount of diversity in all aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey