Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times

Advertisements

I want to live in NJ after college. The one aspect of weather that i can't STAND is wind. What parts of NJ would be the least windy? Right now I go to college in MD near the ocean, and it is VERY windy. I'm assuming anywhere near the jersey shore would be windy too? what about the central part of the state, like somerset and monmouth counties? Or counties near philadelphia? Which part of New Jersey would be the least windy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
I have to say, this is one of the strangest posts I've seen on C-D.

After some quick googling, it appears that MD & DC are in fact pretty windy. NJ's in the bottom 10:

U.S. Average Wind Speed State Rank

Or using C-D's own data for cities. No NJ ones in there but a surprising number of Massachusetts cities:

//www.city-data.com/top2/c467.html

Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Wind is very local. The shore is windy of course, and so is the Hudson waterfront to a lesser extent. But after that you need to consider local geography; you don't want a place on top of a hill or in a wide flat plain. Someplace in a valley is best, provided that valley does not face in a direction which tends to channel the wind.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
map fo nj showing local areas average wind speed/ windmills

Wind Powering America: New Jersey 80-Meter Wind Map and Wind Resource Potential

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
I want to live in NJ after college. The one aspect of weather that i can't STAND is wind. What parts of NJ would be the least windy? Right now I go to college in MD near the ocean, and it is VERY windy. I'm assuming anywhere near the jersey shore would be windy too? what about the central part of the state, like somerset and monmouth counties? Or counties near philadelphia? Which part of New Jersey would be the least windy?
I would say the western part of the state. Furthest from the ocean. We are in South jersey just over the bridge from Philly and no more windy here then in Philly

Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
^Agreed, though the entire state is prone to pretty windy weather when those fronts come through during the winter...probably at the same time as Maryland. This winter has seemed particularly windy.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Just stay inside.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Wind is very local. The shore is windy of course, and so is the Hudson waterfront to a lesser extent. But after that you need to consider local geography; you don't want a place on top of a hill or in a wide flat plain. Someplace in a valley is best, provided that valley does not face in a direction which tends to channel the wind.

When I first moved to my home, in 1996, I was shocked by how there was almost constant wind around my property. Then, I focused on the reality that the property is located on the highest point in the area. While this location has given me excellent protection from flooding, it definitely leads to higher winds than many other locations only a mile or so away.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I first moved to my home, in 1996, I was shocked by how there was almost constant wind around my property. Then, I focused on the reality that the property is located on the highest point in the area. While this location has given me excellent protection from flooding, it definitely leads to higher winds than many other locations only a mile or so away.
Yep. I'm on the lee (west) side of the first Wachtung ridge, so no flooding and few wind issues; the worst that's happened is my grill has gotten knocked over. Walk up to the top of the hill and a lot more wind damage. Go in the bottom of the valley and plenty of flooding. Nothing helped with the October snow damage though.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Don't considering Hoboken. It's worse than living off of Lake Michigan in Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey