Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM

10 posts, read 58,237 times

Advertisements

Where are the middle class areas in Jersey? Race is not an issue. I'll be attending college in New Jersey in the upcoming 2008 school year and I'm planning on moving there after I graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,485,152 times
where will you be going to school? that might help narrow your choices

Old 12-15-2007, 06:15 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffiti View Post
Where are the middle class areas in Jersey? Race is not an issue. I'll be attending college in New Jersey in the upcoming 2008 school year and I'm planning on moving there after I graduate.
Your best bet would be to travel around the state while you're in college and see what you like. Deciding where to live is (or should be, imo) based on subjective factors as much as objective facts. Things like jobs, commutes, etc. might determine the general area, but it should ultimately be based on what appeals to you--everything from what activities you're interested in to the "feel" of the area--the aesthetic appeal to you.

If you hike, pick up a New Jersey hiking book and do a different hike every weekend. New Jersey (Best Hikes with Children) by Arline Zatz is great (and no, you do not need to have children to find it useful--and it's especially good if you're a relatively inexperienced hiker), or you could get 50 Hikes in New Jersey by Bruce Scofield, which is good too. If you're more into cultural stuff, pick up something like New Jersey: A Guide to the State by Barbara Westergaard (which also has the infamous "New Jersey Turnpike Tour"), and visit a different town/area each weekend (it lists most populated areas in New Jersey alphabetically, tells you something about the attractions in each place, the history, the culture, etc.).

Of course, the hiking books are going to tend to keep you away from densely populated urban areas, so the Westergaard book in conjunction with them is a good way to get to know the state. There is also plenty of great hiking (and great places to live) in New York, and the areas of Connecticut and Pennsylvania close to New York City and New Jersey.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,107 times
Middle class towns? It's hard to find in Jersey unless you live in a crap town. Some of the best towns (albeit EXPENSIVE) are Alpine, NJ, Tenafly, NJ, Closer, NJ in Bergen and Bedminster, Bernardsville, basking ridge, Far Hills, Peapack gladstone (old money, horse country, very scenic) YOu can find a good/inexpesnive/safe/beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bath 300k townhome in bedminster and the taxes are the lowest in the state.**and have a roommate to help defer costs..

Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,928,947 times
Where are the areas?
If anyone really needs answers like that here do a little favor and be specific. NJ is not that small and it is impossible to answer with so little info. Post your income level and desired work location(if you already know) or school location.
Middle class is defined differently these days especially by people coming from different areas of the U.S. That term is not telling us much these days. If it means affordable then it comes down to how much you have to spend.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,592 times
Most of New Jersey is middle class. The urban cores are generally poor, and there are a lot of wealthy little towns here and there (specifically in places like Hunterdon, Somerset, Morris Counties), but almost anywhere else would fit the bill as a "middle class area."

Old 12-15-2007, 11:08 PM

10 posts, read 58,237 times
I'll be going to Montclair SU. I don't really have a price range yet, but preferably something under 200 thousand. I'm coming from suburb of Detroit...

Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times
What are you trying to buy? I don't think there's anything in the area under 200k; certainly not in Montclair. Maybe a converted apt in a neighboring town.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:06 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
I agree. $200,000 would get you into a neighboring town called Orange, but he neighborhood is pretty dicey. In fact 200K will not get you into a "middle class" area in Essex County unless you want a 1 bedroom apt. Wayne, while not my favorite town, has some reasonably safe neighborhoods that might have small houses in your price range. It's not that far from Montclair either.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,485,152 times
you wont find much under 200k in montclair. or in the neighboring "safe" towns. but you never know....look into west orange, little falls, wayne, clifton (on the border of monclair)
montclair is a great town--you will wish you could live right there. and you may be able to after you graduate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey