Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,511 times

Advertisements

I work in Clinton, and looking at homes in the named areas. Not looking forward to the commute, but at least it's reverse.
How is access from these towns to the nearest 78W onramp? Obviously, I would expect Maplewood to be faster than W. Orange, but are there any daily traffic snarls I should watch for?

I came across randomly on a youtube video claiming the Tuscan/Valley Rd. intersection is 'the worst one ever'--not sure which road the cameraman was actually on though.

Valley rd and Tuscan maplewood nj - YouTube

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM

79 posts, read 185,969 times
Actually when I stay in Jersey... In Union to be exact I drive right past the Vauxhall Rd Entrance..

You can take Springfield ave in Maplewood right to the Vauxhall Rd entrance/exit, I grew up in Maplewood actually most of my childhood.. You would want to take the Maplewood exit which takes you to Vauxhall Rd..The 4 pm till 6 pm time slot for the Vauxhall Rd entrance/ exit is a bear but all them are like that at that time... Springfield Ave runs parallel to Valley St In Maplewood So you can also take Valley Street to Vauxhall Rd..Now Valley Rd is another location in the East Orange/West Orange area..

Morris Ave is another possibility and is within spitting distance of the Maplewood exit

There is no South Orange exit for 78..

Now for the Video.. Its actually Valley Street and Tuscan Rd.. ( the new locals call it Valley Rd for some odd reason as I stated do not get Valley St and Valley Rd confused separate towns as I mentioned )

Never take Valley St during the rush hours its narrow single lanes and they even added a new traffic light or two.. I was just there in September..

I know all the short cuts but being that you do not know the area I'm not even going to confuse you with them

Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,511 times
Thanks, I'm aware there's no exit to S. or W. Orange, but I need to get to 78 (west)...what would be the best way to/from those towns?

Trying to gauge if rush hour traffic should be an expectation, and if so, roughly how much longer would it take over weekend, no-traffic drive times?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 PM

79 posts, read 185,969 times
To tell the truth from South Orange/Maplewood you can take Valley Street West at rush hour that direction is actually pretty good.. The Video shows the east bound traffic and that's the congested side in the Night Rush Hour..

From Maplewood/ South Orange to Clinton All you have to do is take Valley Street West and take it all the way out and it takes you to 78 west..

To Maplewood/South Orange from Clinton 78 east to 124/Maplewood Springfield Ave exit.. Its going to take you to Vauxhall Rd and make the left and take it all the way to Valley Street and make a right on to Valley..

To tell the truth 78 is not bad at all even during rush hour, its when you get to the actual towns and the small streets is a bear and once you get to know Maplewood/ South Orange and learn the parallel streets To Valley its going to be a breeze..

My photographer lives in High Bridge so I am familiar to going out west towards Clinton

Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
There is no quick or easy way to get to 78 from West Orange. I have only done it once or twice but it's all back roads through the South Mountain reservation, then through Millburn, and you can pick up 78 around Union.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
From West Orange to Clinton it might be faster to take the long way from 280 to 287 to 78, or take the Parkway "backwards" to I-78. That Union I-78 entrance gets pretty congested, and you have to drive through Millburn or South Orange and Maplewood to get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey